NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 10-08-2020, 08:48 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Minneapolis WF, 72 beaten, car stolen by 3 colored boys who later crash and take dirt naps

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...8-d9a9fa171c0c

Victim's family in Minneapolis carjacking speaks out after 3 teens die
"That kind of blatant attack in the middle of the day to an elderly person who was there just feeding a cat, it's like, that's not right."

Updated: 5:29 AM CDT October 7, 2020

MINNEAPOLIS — "She's a strong woman, she really is," said Theresa Schlee who's husband's aunt was involved in a carjacking incident Sunday.

Pictures capture the marks left on a 72-year-old woman's face after she was the victim of a carjacking in north Minneapolis.

It's an experience Schlee says has also left a mark on her aunt's overall well being.

"They punched her and knocked her to the ground to get her purse. They took off in their car, got halfway down the alley, realized they had the keys to her car backed up and she was standing up by now they got back out, hopped in her car," said Schlee.

Schlee says her aunt's car is the one Minneapolis police were chasing through north Minneapolis early Monday morning, with three teenagers inside.

All three teenagers in the car died when they lost control and crashed. Schlee says her aunt had been in the area near Dowling Ave. N, taking care of a relative's cat.

"That kind of blatant attack in the middle of the day to an elderly person who was there just feeding a cat, it's like, that's not right," said Schlee.

Now, four families are left trying to make sense of it all.

"I don't know if they were the attackers, my heart goes out to those families, to that community, it really does because these kids were young and it shouldn't have happened," said Schlee.

With the recent spike in carjackings in the Twin Cities, Schlee says she hopes this tragic situation makes people think twice before following suit.

"They look at this and not see, oh they're just victims because the police chased after them. No, they suffered some awful consequences for some bad choices," said Schlee.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...b-c66c185f1957

Families mourn after fatal high-speed chase
Minneapolis police pursued a vehicle early Monday morning when it lost control and flipped, killing the three people inside.

Updated: 8:15 PM CDT October 6, 2020
Facebook Twitter

MINNEAPOLIS — Flowers, candles and balloons hang around a tree at the intersection of North Emerson Ave. and North 18th Ave. in north Minneapolis – the intersection where Minneapolis police say three people lost their lives in an early morning crash, following a pursuit.

“I had just picked him up from work,” says Convona Sims, the mother of 16-year-old Demetrius Dobbins, who died in the crash. “I just picked him up at 10 p.m.”

Sims says Dobbins' cousin, 15-year-old Jamontae Welch, was also killed in the crash.

“Called one of the officers over there and asked, 'Do one of the boys over there have a tattoo that says 'Convona' and his brother's name, and a heart on his hand?” says Sims. “He came back and showed me a picture of my sons hand, and it was my son.”

Minneapolis police say just before 2 a.m. Monday, they saw a car recognized as being stolen in what police are calling a “carjacking with force” when the driver lost control of the car.

Police say the car flipped over – killing all three people inside.

https://www.fox9.com/news/community-...neapolis-crash

Quote:
During a vigil held Tuesday night, the mother of 13-year-old Cortez Williams mourned where her son died alongside two others, 15-year-old Jamontae Welch and 16-year-old Demetrius Dobbins.