NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 06-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Junior News Editor

Default HATE HOAX: Noose found in Bubba Wallace’s garage was door pull, had been there since 2019

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/noos...-feds-say.html

Noose found in Bubba Wallace’s garage was door pull, had been there since 2019, officials say
Updated 5:15 PM; Today 4:12 PM

A rope found in the garage stall of Black driver Bubba Wallace at the NASCAR race Sunday was a garage door pull, not a noose, and had been there since 2019, federal authorities and NASCAR said Tuesday.

Northern District of Alabama U.S. Attorney Jay Town on Monday announced his office had launched an investigation along with the FBI and the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division. Town said they were looking to see whether there are violations of federal law. No federal crime was committed, his office said.

Town and FBI Special Agent in Charge Johnnie Sharp Jr. on Tuesday released this statement about the probe: “On Monday, fifteen FBI special agents conducted numerous interviews regarding the situation at Talladega Superspeedway. After a thorough review of the facts and evidence surrounding this event, we have concluded that no federal crime was committed.

The FBI learned that garage number 4, where the noose was found, was assigned to Bubba Wallace last week. The investigation also revealed evidence, including authentic video confirmed by NASCAR, that the noose found in garage number 4 was in that garage as early as October 2019. Although the noose is now known to have been in garage number 4 in 2019, nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/gov-...of-hatred.html

News

Gov. Kay Ivey says noose targeting Bubba Wallace ‘disgusting display of hatred’
Updated Jun 22, 2:03 PM; Posted Jun 22, 9:20 AM

Gov. Kay Ivey said this morning the placement of a noose in the garage stall of Black driver Bubba Wallace at Talladega Superspeedway was a “vile act” and “disgusting display of hatred.”

The noose was found Sunday at the track, where the Geico 500 was scheduled to take place but was postponed until today because of rain. The incident follows NASCAR’s decision to ban Confederate flags from its races and venues, a move that Wallace championed as the only full-time Black driver in NASCAR’s top series.

“I am shocked and appalled to hear of yesterday’s vile act against Bubba Wallace in Talladega -- there is no place for this disgusting display of hatred in our state,” Ivey said. “Racism and threats of this nature will not be condoned nor tolerated, and I commit to assisting in any way possible to ensure that the person responsible for this is caught and punished. While the important conversation of racial reconciliation is ongoing all over our country, it is clear there is much work to do.

“Bubba Wallace is one of us; he is a native of Mobile and on behalf of all Alabamians, I apologize to Bubba Wallace as well as to his family and friends for the hurt this has caused and regret the mark this leaves on our state. I ask the NASCAR family to rally around Bubba and his team as they compete today, and I know that there are more people who are wishing him well today than ever before.”
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Noose found in Bubba Wallace’s garage was door pull, had been there since 2019

https://nypost.com/2020/06/24/bubba-...n-garage-rope/

Bubba Wallace responds to FBI findings: ‘It’s a straight-up noose’
By Vincent Barone
June 24, 2020 | 12:21am | Updated

NASCAR AA driver Bubba Wallace on Tuesday night defended his and the sport’s reaction to the “noose” discovered in his garage in light of FBI findings that the rope was actually a garage door pull.

The FBI issued a statement earlier Tuesday that the pull rope was simply fashioned like a noose and that video evidence showed it had been hanging in the garage from at least October 2019, when a previous occupier used the space.

Bubba Wallace
Getty Images

“From the evidence that we have — that I have, it’s a straight-up noose,” said Wallace , one of the most popular African American drivers in the sport (THE ONLY ONE!), during an appearance with fellow nigger Don Lemon on CNN.

It’s not uncommon for garages at NASCAR tracks to have rope pulls, though they’re not usually tied in such a fashion, Wallace added.

“The image that I have, and I have seen, of what was hanging in my garage is not a garage pull … we’ve raced out of hundreds of garages that never had garage pulls like that,” Wallace said, noting that the FBI in its statement referred to the rope as a “noose.”

“Whether someone tied it in 2019 … It wasn’t directed at me,” Wallace went on, “but it was a noose.”

Wallace said he was first notified of the noose by NASCAR president Stephen Phelps on Sunday evening, with Phelps detailing what he described to Wallace as a”hate crime.”

The noose was discovered in light of nationwide civil unrest over the killing of George Floyd, a black man, by a white police officer , and the announcement by NASCAR that it would ban Confederate flags from its races.

Wallace, a vocal proponent of the decision, had worn a shirt reading “I can’t breathe” and raced with a “Black Lives Matter” decal on the side of his car.

Wallace said he strove to “make sure that we weren’t jumping the gun” by calling out the noose and had his team confirm that the rope was clearly tied as such.

Wallace added he was ultimately upset that his detractors are using the incident to attack his character.

“I’m pissed. I’m mad because people are trying to test my character and person that I am and my integrity,” Wallace said. “They’re not stealing that away from me, but they’re just trying to test that.”

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.