NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Senior Editor

Default NYC Human Rights Commission probing reports of coronavirus-related racism

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/victim...ns-speaks-out/

Victim of possible coronavirus hate crime in Queens speaks out
By Jacob Henry and Olivia Bensimon
March 14, 2020 | 5:15pm | Updated

The coronavirus pandemic has made it open season on Chinese Americans in the Big Apple, according to a Queens dad who was the victim this week of a possible hate crime.

“I hoped the virus will go away in a month, but this thing is still going,” the shaken 47-year-old told The Post Saturday during an exclusive interview from the lobby of his Forest Hills home.

“The Chinese will be the ones to pay.”

The victim, who grew up in Hong Kong but has lived in the US for 35 years, was walking his 10-year-old son to a bus stop near 70th Avenue and Queens Boulevard at around 6:50 a.m. Thursday, when an angry stranger decked out in camouflage approached them, police said.

“The guy walked past us. That triggered him. He was screaming at us and said, ‘Where the f–k is your mask?!'” said the victim, who asked not to be identified for fear of retaliation.

“I turned around to look at this guy — I’ve lived in New York [for] a long time, I’ve seen all kinds of crazy people around — usually, we just ignore them, but he was cursing and yelling.”

“You f–king Chinese!” the unhinged aggressor shouted, police sources said. The deadly bug originated in Wuhan, China, possibly as early as mid-November, infecting some 135,400 people across the globe, killing at least 5,043 to date.

“He kept yelling, and I was afraid he was going to touch my son,” the victim said.

The man followed the victim and his 10-year-old son to the packed bus stop, where he suddenly hit him over the head.

“He kept yelling in front of all the kids. He wasn’t drunk. He came after me because I was Chinese, but I’m American.”

As he recalled the frightening incident, his voiced quieted to a whisper, his lips quivered.

“With the mask, they attack you, and without the mask they attack you, so what are they doing?” the shaken dad said. “I don’t know what I can do.”

The harrowing incident is one of a spate of recent attacks against Asian Americans in the Big Apple.
see also
'Where's your f--king mask': Asian man, son harassed in potential coronavirus-related hate crime

The dad is now trying to teach his son to be hyper-aware of his surroundings.

“I told my son to avoid this kind of situation first but if there’s no other choice, then be strong and stand up for yourself,” he said.

“He’s a very quiet kid. I asked him if he was scared this morning he said ‘a little bit.’ When he came back from school, he didn’t talk to me. He doesn’t know how to react.”

“I don’t know why he’s attacking us with my kid in front of me,” he added. “I lived here so long. This is the first time it has happened to me.”

Cops are still looking for the attacker. Anyone with information is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:19 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Victim of possible coronavirus hate crime in Queens speaks out

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/cops-b...-on-asian-man/

Cops bust suspect accused of coronavirus-related hate crime on Asian man
By Olivia Bensimon
March 14, 2020 | 8:44pm | Updated

Raoul Ramos harassed an Asian man Thursday in Forest Hills. DCPI

The man accused of harassing an Asian man in a coronavirus-related hate crime was arrested on Saturday in Queens, cops said.

Raoul Ramos, 44, was charged with aggravated harassment as a hate crime and issued a desk appearance ticket for Thursday’s hateful attack in Forest Hills, police said.

The 47-year-old victim was walking with his 10-year-old son to a bus stop on 70th Avenue and Queens Boulevard at around 6:50 a.m. when Ramos approached him and started berating him.

“The guy walked past us. That triggered him. He was screaming at us and said, ‘Where the f–k is your mask?!’” the victim, who asked not to be identified for fear of retaliation, told the Post.

“You f–king Chinese,” he shouted to the man, police sources said.

“He kept yelling, and I was afraid he was going to touch my son,” the victim said.

Ramos followed the victim and his 10-year-old son to the packed bus stop, where he suddenly hit him over the head before running away.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:01 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Victim of possible coronavirus hate crime in Queens speaks out

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/nyc-hu...elated-racism/

NYC Human Rights Commission probing reports of coronavirus-related racism
By Sara Dorn
March 14, 2020 | 6:06pm

The New York City Human Rights Commission is probing five complaints of coronavirus-fueled acts of racism reported in the past two weeks, the agency said.

Like the virus itself, attacks on people of Asian descent wrongly assumed to be carriers of COVID-19 have multiplied across the globe since the disease originated in Wuhan, China in January.

The Big Apple — home to the largest Chinatown in the Western world , in Flushing, Queens — has been no exception.

On Tuesday, a 59-year-old Asian man told police a teen kicked him to the ground on the Upper East Side on Tuesday night, while yelling “F–king Chinese coronavirus.,” and then spat in his face.

The alleged teen attacker was busted Saturday.

Earlier that day, a woman reportedly slugged an unmasked Asian woman in Midtown while screaming “where is your corona mask, you Asian b—h.”

And on Thursday, a man repeatedly harassed an Asian man and his 10-year-old son in Queens.

Gov. Cuomo said he was “disgusted” by the Midtown attack he said was “apparently motivated by the bigoted notion that an Asian person is more likely to carry or transmit the novel coronavirus.”

He has asked the state Hate Crimes Task Force to assist the NYPD in investigating the incident.

Some Chinatown businesses say the rise in xenophobia and racism is hurting their bottom line.

The owner of one of the city’s oldest and its largest Chinese restaurants, Jing Fong in Manhattan’s Chinatown, decried the desertion of his neighborhood and restaurant in an interview in early March.

“They’re just scared to get infected by Chinese people,” Kin Lam told CBS News on March 6.

Less than a week later, Jing Fong shuttered, citing an unsustainable loss of business.

The human rights commission declined to say if any of the recent attacks are among the five they are investigating.

“Hate and discrimination against anyone on the basis of their race, national origin, or other status is not tolerated in New York City,” spokeswoman Alicia McCauley said. “The New York City Commission on Human Rights, Mayor’s Office for the Prevention of Hate Crimes, and NYPD are monitoring and responding to reported hate and bias incidents resulting from fear and stigma related to COVID-19.”

She encouraged New Yorkers who experience discrimination to file a complaint with the commission.