NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 05:03 AM
Junior News Editor

Default French Tourist Slashed In The Neck At Random On Harlem Street By The Negro - heading home

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/02...harlem-street/

French Tourist Slashed In The Neck At Random On Harlem Street
February 14, 2020 at 7:53 pm

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A tourist was the victim of a violent attack in Harlem in broad daylight when he was slashed in the neck.

Police are looking for the suspect responsible for the unprovoked attack, reports CBS2’s Nick Caloway.

Graphic cell phone video shows the panic in the moments after the attack when a young couple’s lives changed forever.

The attack happened ‪around 11 a.m. on Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard near West 132nd Street in Harlem.

A 28-year-old man was walking with his girlfriend on the sidewalk when he was attacked. Witnesses call it a random act of violence, and police confirm the attack was unprovoked.

The attacker was said to have come face-to-face with the victim before slashing him in the neck with what looked like a box cutter.

Good samaritans and police rushed to help the man who was taken to NYC Health + Hospitals/Harlem and is expected to survive.

“I’m amazed and devastated about it, and it happened in broad daylight right here,” said Barbara Green of Harlem.

Neighbors were clearly shaken up after the incident.

“It makes you nervous,” said Green. “It makes you have to look over your shoulder.”

The victim of the attack is a citizen of France currently in New York visiting friends.

After the incident, officers were scouring nearby businesses for surveillance footage from the area.

The suspect is believed to be in his 20s, wearing all black.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Senior Editor

Default French tourist randomly slashed in the neck in Harlem

https://nypost.com/2020/02/14/french...eck-in-harlem/

French tourist randomly slashed in the neck in Harlem
By Rachel Green and Olivia Bensimon
February 14, 2020 | 4:10pm | Updated

A French tourist was randomly slashed in the neck while strolling in Harlem with his girlfriend on Friday, police said.

Video obtained by The Post showed the 27-year-old man kneeling on a sidewalk, with his blood spilling on the pavement, as people press a cloth to his neck and his distraught girlfriend holds him while talking to police.

The unidentified couple was walking on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard between West 132nd and 133rd streets at around 11 a.m. when a stranger slashed the man across the face and neck with a knife, cops said.

“One of my customers ran in asking me if I could speak French. He said someone got cut on the neck but [that the victim] wasn’t speaking English,” said Oliver Dominguez, a worker at the nearby Maya Hardware Store.

The tourist and his girlfriend had just walked out of the IHOP on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard at West 135th Street when the unprovoked attack happened, police sources said.

EMS rushed the man to Harlem Hospital, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.

Police canvassed the neighborhood for a suspect dressed in black and wearing Air Jordan sneakers but had yet to find him as of Friday evening.

A man who works in a nearby building recounted the attack after seeing it on surveillance tape.

“A man and woman were walking down the street, and a guy was walking beside them, like side-by-side. Then [the attacker] turns towards [the victim], looked him in the eye and pulled out — it looked like a boxcutter — and sliced him on the neck,” the worker said.

“He didn’t know him,” he said of the victim. “He even looked at the guy before he cut him and made a surprised face.”

A cyclist stopped at the scene to help stanch the bleeding, while another passerby held the injured man’s hand.

Others in the neighborhood were upset by the attack.

“I’m so surprised. I just want them to catch this guy. It’s so random, and it could have been me,” said a worker at the Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Homeless Shelter.

William Modeste, 38, a local real estate agent with Uptown Flats, said: “I think it’s a random attack and so unexpected.

“We always have plenty of visitors in the neighborhood, and when I heard about it, I just thought, ‘This person had cruelty on his mind.’”

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: French Tourist Slashed In The Neck At Random On Harlem Street By The Negro

https://nypost.com/2020/02/15/absolu...attack-coming/

‘Absolute violence’: Tourist slashed in neck never saw attack coming

By Olivia Bensimon, Jacob Henry and Ruth Weissmann
February 15, 2020 | 6:03pm

The French tourist who was randomly slashed in the neck on a Harlem sidewalk said he never saw the “gratuitous” attack coming.

Video of the gruesome incident shows the 27-year-old victim, identified by sources as Gabriel Bascou, kneeling on the ground on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard near West 132nd Street Friday with blood gushing from his neck.

Instagram

Bascou and his girlfriend were walking out of an IHOP at about 11 a.m. when the stranger ran up and slashed him across the face with a knife, police said.

“I didn’t see anything coming, he didn’t steal anything from me,” Bascou wrote in an Instagram post. “Just a gratuitous blow of absolute violence.”

Medics rushed Bascou to Harlem Hospital, where he was given a tracheotomy and intubated.

“The man slit my throat,” he added. “I can’t talk right now.”

His girlfriend, who declined to be named, told The Post her boyfriend was visiting her and had just arrived in town the night before the bloody attack.

“He’s on the mend. He’s been very lucky,” the frightened woman said. “I’m still scared…I’m apprehensive of leaving the hospital,” she said of the attack.

Images released of the suspect show him wearing a black hat, black clothing, and white Air Jordan sneakers.

No arrests have been made, cops said.

This man has been identified as the suspect in the attack.
DCPI

Old 02-18-2020, 06:21 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: French Tourist Slashed In The Neck At Random On Harlem Street By The Negro

https://nypost.com/2020/02/17/french...nto-nightmare/

French tourist describes how Valentine’s NYC surprise turned into nightmare
By Rachel Green and Tamar Lapin
February 17, 2020 | 10:38pm | Updated

Gabriel Bascou cannot speak due to a tracheotomy and is still battling a lung infection.
DANIEL WILLIAM MCKNIGHT

The French photographer who had his throat slit on a Harlem sidewalk last week had just flown into New York to surprise his girlfriend for Valentine’s Day.

Gabriel Bascou described to The Post on Monday how he was randomly attacked by an ex-con on Friday as he and girlfriend Manon Duma were leaving a breakfast date at IHOP.

“I’m in really bad shape for now,” wrote Bascou, who can’t speak due to a tracheotomy, which has also left him with a lung infection.

The 28-year-old tourist was still recovering in the Harlem Hospital ICU on Monday. He explained through a series of WhatsApp messages how his romantic Big Apple reunion turned into a nightmare.

The Parisian shutterbug had wanted to visit New York “since forever” and decided to fly in to surprise his girlfriend for Valentine’s Day.

They hadn’t seen each other in just over a month, since Duma, 23, moved to work as an au pair for a family in Harlem.

The lovebirds were stepping out of an IHOP on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard near West 132nd Street around 11 a.m. — when a man slashed Bascou in the neck and face with a knife.

“I didn’t see him coming,” Bascou said. “At first I thought it was a punch.”

The attacker “turned around and looked me in the eye and started running,” Bascou recalled. “Then, I felt the warm blood run inside my coat.”

Passersby “didn’t understand what was going on,” Bascou said. His girlfriend began to shout for someone to call 911, which he said a bicyclist did.

“The people around me seemed terrified,” he recalled.

Bascou, a former nurse, “did everything to stay calm” and gave Duma his blood type and list of allergies in case he passed out.

He said he needed a transfusion of two pints of blood.

Video obtained by The Post showed him kneeling on a sidewalk as his blood spilled onto the pavement and Duma holding him while talking to police.
Young man slashed in Harlem

Since the horrific attack, Duma, who is also a model, “hasn’t slept” in part due to the attacker still being out on the streets.

That is, until Monday afternoon, when police announced that they arrested 28-year-old Khalief Young as a suspect in the attack.

Bascou wrote he was “super excited” when told that cops had someone in custody.

“I want my girlfriend to stay safe here,” he said.

“If they caught someone in just a few days, they did a great job.”

Duma, meanwhile, was in shock, asking tearfully: “Is it really him?”

Also on Monday, Bascou’s mother, Marielle Debayne, a nurse from Marseille, arrived in New York to be with him — as he’s due to stay hospitalized for at least another seven days.

“It’s so awful,” the distraught mom told The Post. “Gabriel was here for one day. He walked [less than half a mile] in New York and was cut.”

Friends of Bascou have also started an online fundraiser to help him out with bills, he said.

Despite his ordeal, Bascou said he’ll make it back to the Big Apple for a visit, especially after not seeing much else besides the inside of the Harlem IHOP — a breakfast he dreams about as he hasn’t been able to eat anything else since.

“I plan to come back there as soon as possible and discover this incredible city,” he said.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:06 AM
Senior Editor

https://nypost.com/2020/02/17/man-wh...roat-arrested/

Man who allegedly slit French tourist’s throat arrested
By Tina Moore and Gabrielle Fonrouge
February 17, 2020 | 6:16pm | Updated

Khalief Young
NYPD 32nd pct/Facebook

The man who allegedly slit a French tourist’s throat last week has been arrested, the NYPD announced Monday.

Khalief Young, 28, was busted by an officer who spotted him on the street around 3:50 p.m. Monday, police sources told The Post.

He was charged with two counts of assault in the second degree, police said.

Young is accused of slashing 27-year-old Gabriel Bascou in the neck on Valentine’s Day just as he and his girlfriend were walking out of an IHOP around 11 a.m. on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard near West 132nd Street.

Bascou was caught on video bleeding on a sidewalk as passersby rushed to help him.

He’s been recovering at Harlem Hospital.

Young lives approximately two blocks from the pancake restaurant and has randomly attacked at least two others in the past, police sources said.

On Oct. 20 last year, he rang his neighbor’s doorbell and punched the woman in the face and kicked her several times, the sources said.

Four months earlier in June, he went into a deli on West 135th Street and slashed a deli worker in the neck, police sources said.

Prior to those two incidents, Young was arrested in March 2015 for criminal possession of a loaded firearm and spent a little less than two years in an upstate prison.

He was released on parole in April 2017.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:21 AM
Senior Editor

https://nypost.com/2020/02/18/ex-con...-without-bail/

Ex-con accused of slashing French tourist’s throat held without bail
By Rebecca Rosenberg and Natalie Musumeci
February 18, 2020 | 10:12am | Updated

The ex-con who allegedly slashed a French tourist’s throat during a random Valentine’s Day attack in Harlem was ordered held without bail on attempted murder charges early Tuesday.

Khalief Young, 28, was arraigned at around 1 a.m. in Manhattan Criminal Court on charges of second-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault in connection with the attack on Gabriel Basou – who is still recovering in Harlem Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit.

Young is accused of slicing Bascou, 28, in the neck just as he and his girlfriend were leaving a breakfast date at an IHOP at around 11 a.m. on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard near West 132nd Street last Friday.

Bascou, a Paris photographer, was captured on video profusely bleeding on the sidewalk as passersby rushed to help him.

“I’m in really bad shape for now,” Bascou told The Post from his hospital room on Monday.

In a series of WhatsApp messages because a tracheotomy has left him temporarily unable to speak – Bascou said he had always wanted to visit the Big Apple and flew in to surprise his girlfriend, Manon Duma, for Valentine’s Day.

Bascou said that he did not see his attacker coming.

“At first, I thought it was a punch,” the victim said, adding, that the assailant then “turned around and looked me in the eye and started running.”

“Then I felt the warm blood run inside my coat,” Bascou said.

According to a criminal complaint, footage of attack shows Young, donning black pants, a black hoodie, and white shoes, “making a slashing motion” towards the victim, who was holding his girlfriend’s hand at the time.

“The footage then shows the defendant running away,” the complaint says.

Young, who lives two blocks from the pancake joint, was busted by an NYPD cop who spotted him on the street at around 3:50 p.m. Monday.

He was initially charged with two counts of assault in the second-degree.

Young’s next court date is scheduled for Friday.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:18 AM
Senior Editor

https://nypost.com/2020/02/18/ex-con...-neck-slasher/

Ex-con accused of slitting tourist’s throat known as local ‘neck slasher’
By Tina Moore, Israel Salas-Rodriguez and Elizabeth Rosner
February 18, 2020 | 8:27pm | Updated

Benjamin Onwudiwe, who says he was attacked by Khalief Young in 2019. Robert Miller

The ex-con accused of slitting a French tourist’s throat in a random attack in Harlem is a neighborhood “neck slasher” who’s ducked justice at least twice — infuriating one of his alleged victims, The Post has learned.

Khalief Young — who is charged in Friday’s horrific attack on Gabriel Bascou — was busted in June for a Harlem deli slashing, and in October for allegedly pummeling a woman inside his apartment building, according to police sources and court records obtained by The Post.

The first case is closed and sealed, and Young was cut loose without bail in the second, which is ongoing.

“If the law did what they should have done a year ago and they would have handed him the punishment he deserved maybe he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to do it again,” said Benjamin Onwudiwe, the alleged victim in the earlier attack.

Young, 28, allegedly ran up behind Onwudiwe and cut his neck on May 22 inside the 2278 Deli & Grocery on the corner of Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd and West 134th Street, sources said.

The 58-year-old pharmacist said his attacker, “was talking to the people in the store, and when he [was] getting ready to leave the store, all of a sudden, I was stabbed in the back.”

“I thought he cut me with his nail but then blood started gushing out and that’s when I realized I was stabbed.”

Onwudiwe said he never caught sight of his attacker, adding “no words were exchanged, nothing.”

He said he was left with two scars on his neck as a result of the attack.

“If it had went down a little bit more deep I wouldn’t be here talking,” said Onwudiwe, who works at Heritage Pharmacy & Surgical Supplies.

Police arrested Young and charged him with assault on June 27, sources said.

But Onwudiwe said that, after that, “nothing happened.”

“I was going back and forth with the District Attorney’s office but they never did anything.”

“All the district attorney told me [was] nothing could be done and [he] told me not to go back to that store and that’s how they ended the case,” he added.

“This time he stabbed a white guy — now everyone is interested.”

The Manhattan DA’s office refused to comment on the case.

The scars on Onwudiwe's neck from the alleged slashing.
Robert Miller

Onwudiwe said he didn’t want to identify a suspect to cops from a photo lineup since he “never saw his face.”

But a worker at the deli on Tuesday recognized Young as the alleged attacker and said he has a history of random slashings.

“He comes in here and if you look at him he’ll say to you ‘what are you looking at?’ and if you let down your guard he comes over and cuts you,” said Anthony Pena, 40, a cook at the deli.

“He goes up and down the block always getting into trouble,” said Pena, adding “he’s cut three people like that, behind the neck.”

A police source said of Young: “He’s a neck slasher.”

Jesus Ventura, 60, the super at Young’s building, called him a “very complicated person.”

Young spent nearly two years in state prison on weapons and drugs charges and was released on parole in April 2017.

“He’s had a lot of problems with multiple people in this building many have moved because of him,” said Ventura.

Then, in October, Young was allowed to hit the streets after being busted for allegedly pummeling a woman inside his Harlem apartment building.

Prosecutors requested Young, who was charged with assault, be held on $1,500 bail for allegedly punching the woman in the face and repeatedly kicking her — but Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Anne Swern released him.

Courts spokesman Lucien Chalfen, blamed New York’s bail reform laws, which took effect on Jan. 1, for the ruling.

“Had the Judge set bail, [Young] would have been released from jail on that date,” Chalfen said in a statement. “The judge was being both pragmatic and prescient.”

Swern also issued a temporary order of protection barring Young from contact with the victim, records show.

A few months later, Young would be busted again, this time for randomly cutting Bascou, a Parisian photographer, in the neck and face on Friday outside an IHOP down the block from the deli.

He was finally held without bail at his arraignment early Monday on charges of attempted murder in the second-degree and first-degree assault.

His next court date in that case is set for Friday.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Senior Editor

https://nypost.com/2020/02/29/french...fter-slashing/

French tourist Gabriel Bascou headed home after slashing
By Rachel Green, Olivia Bensimon and Ruth Weissmann
February 29, 2020 | 2:32pm | Updated

The French tourist whose neck was slashed by a stranger in Harlem on Valentine’s Day was finally on his way home Saturday, grateful that his attacker remains behind bars — and that he lived to tell the tale.

“American style: the bad guy sleeps in jail, I survived, I have the best sweetheart in the world, the best family, the best friends, I survived and I never felt so loved,” Gabriel Bascou wrote on Instagram.

“I can’t wait to come back to NY to discover this city that I saw only 100m between the place of my Airbnb and my attack.”

Bascou, 28, was ambushed on Day 1 of his dream trip, just as he and his girlfriend Manon Duma walked out of a breakfast date at IHOP on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd on Feb. 14th. Police say Khalief Young — known around the neighborhood for surprise stabbings — slashed without warning, sending the Frenchman to his knees, blood gushing on the sidewalk.

Bascou said he was “relieved” to finally leave Harlem Hospital, where he spent the past two weeks intubated and recovering from a tracheotomy.

He told The Post he’s still “déçu” he never got his chance to explore the City that Never Sleeps.

“My heart aches because since the attack took place the first morning I arrived, I didn’t see anything of New York,” he said.

The Parisian photographer and model is en route to Montpellier for more treatment, and said he’ll need several more weeks to completely heal.

A photo obtained by The Post shows the lovebirds cuddling as they wait to board their plane, a black bandana over Bascou’s horrific souvenir.

“Goodbye New York, goodbye injustice, goodbye to the hospital and to the medical team who supported and sustained us during all our moods, goodbye to the district attorney that helps us do justice,” Duma wrote from a lounge in John F. Kennedy airport.

A fundraising page has raised over $14,000 to help pay for Bascou’s medical bills — and the home-bound tourist says he “can’t wait to start eating and drinking again.”

“We’ve been literally flooded with love via social media,” Bascou said from the airport. “People seem to have been really affected by what has happened to us.”

Three days after the savage attack, cops busted Young, 28, who was kept locked up on attempted murder and assault charges. He was indicted last week and is expected back in court March 18.

The ex-con has a long rap sheet of violent attacks, including a June deli slashing where he allegedly stabbed a patron.