NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 03:11 PM
voiceofreason's Avatar
voiceofreason voiceofreason is offline
Junior News Editor
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 42,470
Default Negro loses appeal in brutal torture 2008 burglary of Plainfield, NJ WM, 82 for $300


Plainfield man loses appeal in brutal burglary of 82-year-old for $300
Published 3:00 p.m. ET Feb. 14, 2020

A Plainfield man convicted of robbing and torturing an elderly man for $300 has lost another appeal of his conviction.

Ronald Cherry, 33, was sentenced to 18 years in prison in 2011 for breaking into the residence of an 82-year-old man
on West Eighth Street and attacking him.

He and two others tied the man to a chair and stabbed him, beat him in the head with a hammer, torched his genitals and chest, and then left the house with his credit cards and cash, according to court records.

Cherry, in his most recent appeal, argued his attorneys at trial were ineffective. In 2014, he appealed to withdraw his guilty plea, which was denied.

The crime, which occurred in 2008, was described by a police official as among the most heinous he's ever witnessed.

"This rivals, in brutality and callousness, anything I've ever seen ... in 40 years,'' said then-Plainfield Public Safety Director Martin Hellwig.

The victim, after being tied up, managed to free himself, call 911 and offer authorities a detailed account of the attack before being treated for his injuries.

A latex glove with Cherry's DNA was found in a room of the victim's house. Cherry went on to burglarize a home two days later in Scotch Plains.

Credit cards stolen in both incidents were used in several stores and video surveillance showed Cherry and his accomplices making those purchases.

Cherry was described by authorities as the ringleader of the Plainfield burglary.

The two other suspects, Robert Harris, of Plainfield, and Shevon Ricks, of Camden, were also sentenced to prison.

Harris, who was 15 at the time of the attack, was tried as an adult.
He was released from state prison in June 2015, according to state Department of Corrections records.


Kenneth Athey, 87, left, shakes hands with supporters after the sentencing of Ronald Cherry. Cherry pleaded guilty to a brutal home invasion robbery. He will receive 18 years in prison for robbing Athey and then beating him with a hammer. Cherry is sentenced at the Union County Courthouse in Elizabeth, N.J., on Friday, June 8, 2012
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.