NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 07-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Junior News Editor

Default WF Minneapolis Artist, 68 Found Dead In Home After Break-In By Colored Boy Neighbor

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/0...-in-mpls-home/

Minneapolis Artist Found Dead In Home After Break-In
July 16, 2015 9:50 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A Twin Cities woman, who spent much of her time working to make her neighborhood better, was found dead in her home Thursday.

Police say it looks like someone broke in and killed 68-year-old Susan Spiller.

Officers found her door forced open, then discovered her body inside.

Spiller was a prominent artist. She was also on the board of a neighborhood association on Minneapolis’ North Side.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: Minneapolis Artist (WF, 68) Found Dead In Home After Break-In

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...for-her-safety

Recording reveals murdered Minneapolis activist feared for her safety
Updated: Jul 21, 2015 6:53 AM PST

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

Just days before her murder, Minneapolis artist and peace activist Susan Spiller gave a prophetic warning during a community board meeting.

"I for one and my neighbor who is a single female, had a fear of retaliation if we blew the whistle on our neighbors,"
Spiller is heard saying in a recording of the meeting.

Her fellow board members allege months of minor problems like noise complaints had reached a tipping point, to where Spiller feared retaliation for blowing the whistle.

"For her to publicly state it at our meeting, it was shocking," said fellow board member David Boyd.

The Hennepin County medical examiner’s office has ruled the cause of Spiller's as “complex homicidal violence.” This designation means her murder was likely particularly gruesome, and she could have died several different ways.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: Minneapolis Artist (WF, 68) Found Dead In Home After Break-In

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/...act-to-arrest/

Friends Of Slain North Minneapolis Artist, Activist React To Arrest
June 25, 2019 at 10:39 pm

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (WCCO)– Connie Beckers thought this day would feel different.

“I was sort of looking forward to hating somebody, to be honest with you, and I can’t,” Beckers said.

It had been four long years without any answers as to who killed her friend and fellow artist, Susan Spiller.

When the answer finally came on Tuesday afternoon, it wasn’t the one she expected.

“At first, I felt really relieved and I thought, good, you know, justice. I can replace my hate for the unknown person and move forward and now, it’s different. I can’t hate a 14-year-old kid,” Beckers said.

Police believe a 14-year-old boy broke into Spiller’s north Minneapolis home and violently attacked and killed her in 2015. Recently, they were able to link fingerprints left at a different, unrelated crime scene to her death. The suspect is now 18 years old.

“Because of the suspect’s age at the time of the murder, there is very little that we are able to say right now about the case. Juvenile court statutes and rules require this privacy,” said Tom Arneson of the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office Juvenile Division.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:50 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: WF Minneapolis Artist, 68 Found Dead In Home After Break-In By Colored Boy Neighbor

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/...hen-he-was-14/

$2M Bail Set For Demetrius Wynne, Accused Of Killing Neighbor Susan Spiller When He Was 14

November 21, 2019 at 9:38 pm

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Bail is set at $2 million for 19-year-old Demetrius Wynne, who is charged with murdering Minneapolis artist Susan Spiller in 2015.

READ MORE: ‘She Gave A Whole Lot’: Friends Of Susan Spiller React To Murder Charges Against Demetrius Wynne

Wynne had his first court appearance Thursday. He’s accused of killing Spiller, 68, when he was 14. Now, he is being charged as an adult.

Spiller was brutally killed in her home in 2015. Wynne and his family lived next door to her at the time.

This past July, police matched fingerprints found on a window of Spiller’s home to Wynne.