NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Junior News Editor

Default Witnesses dispute Dallas WF cop's account in fatal shooting of nog neighbor: knocking, let me in

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/botham-...putes-account/

CBS News September 11, 2018, 7:20 AM
Witnesses dispute Dallas cop's account in fatal shooting of neighbor, attorney says

Dozens of demonstrators gathered outside Dallas police headquarters Monday evening to demand justice for Botham Jean, the 26-year-old who was shot inside his own apartment last Thursday by off-duty police officer Amber Guyger. Guyger has been charged with manslaughter, but demonstrators say that's not enough. Her case now heads to a grand jury where her charges could be bumped up to murder, reports CBS News' Omar Villafranca.

According to an arrest warrant, Guyger told investigators that she went to what she thought was her third floor apartment. Instead, she went to Jean's fourth floor apartment directly above hers. Guyger says her door was "ajar" and saw a "large silhouette" inside. After giving "verbal commands that were ignored," she fired her handgun twice, striking Jean once in the torso. It wasn't until Guyger "turned on the…lights" and "called 911" that she realized she was "at the wrong apartment."

"We will make certain that justice is done in this case," said Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson.

Attorneys for Jean's family say two witnesses told them details that contradict Guyger's account.

"They heard knocking down the hallway followed by a woman's voice that they believe to be officer Guyger saying, 'Let me in. Let me in,'"
attorney Lee Merritt said.

The family's attorneys say one of the witnesses then heard gunshots followed by a man's voice.

"What we believe to be the last words of Botham Jean which was 'Oh my god, why did you do that?'" Merritt said.

Allison Jean wants to know what happened to her son. "I'm not satisfied that we have all the answers," Allison said.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Witnesses dispute Dallas WF cop's account in fatal shooting of nog neighbor: knocking, let me in

https://nypost.com/2019/10/01/ex-dal...ghbors-murder/

Ex-Dallas cop Amber Guyger found guilty of black neighbor’s murder
By Jackie Salo
October 1, 2019 | 11:50am | Updated

The ex-Dallas cop who claims she fatally shot her black neighbor in his own apartment because she mistook him for an intruder was found guilty of murder on Tuesday.

Amber Guyger, 31, wept in Dallas court when she was convicted of 26-year-old Botham Jean’s murder after entering his apartment instead of her own in September 2018.

The jury of 12 deliberated for less than a day before reaching the verdict in Jean’s killing.

Jurors had the option to convict her on the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Guyger — who was fired from the force — broke down as she took the stand Friday in her own defense, recalling the night that she gunned down the unarmed man with her service weapon.

“I wish he had had the gun and had killed me,” a tearful Guyger testified. “I hate that I have to live with this every single day of my life. I’ve asked God for forgiveness.”

Prosecutors argued that it was patently “absurd” for Guyger to suggest that she didn’t know she was in the wrong apartment.

They asserted she was, in fact, distracted by a phone conversation with her partner in the force — with whom she was having an affair.

“Most of what she said was garbage,” Dallas County Assistant District Attorney Jason Fine said Monday.

After the verdict was read, Jean’s supporters erupted in applause and cheers.

Guyger faces a maximum penalty of 99 years in prison on the murder charge.

The punishment phase of her trial is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Witnesses dispute Dallas WF cop's account in fatal shooting of nog neighbor: knocking, let me in

https://nypost.com/2019/10/01/killer...ng-jr-s-death/

Killer cop Amber Guyger joked about Martin Luther King Jr.’s death
By Jackie Salo and Bruce Golding
October 1, 2019 | 7:15pm | Updated

Amber Guyger
AP

The white former Dallas cop who murdered an unarmed black neighbor joked about Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination while working security at a parade in his honor last year, prosecutors revealed Tuesday.

“When does this end lol,” a friend identified only as “Blevins” texted Amber Guyger on Jan. 15, 2018, according to a screenshot posted on Twitter.

“When MLK is dead… oh wait….” Guyger texted back.

Both messages were deleted from Guyger’s phone, but later recovered by authorities, notations on the evidence show.

Guyger also complained that the Dallas parade was “going on 3 hours” and suggested, “Just push them or spray…in that general direction,” the texts show.

Another text exchange, with her former police partner and extramarital lover, Martin Rivera, shows Guyger criticizing black cops.

“Damn I was at this area with 5 different black officers!!! Not racist but damn,” Rivera wrote on March 9, 2018.

“Not racist but just have a different way of working and it shows,” Guyger wrote back.

Those messages were also deleted from her phone.

The texts were shown to jurors during the sentencing phase of Guyger’s trial following her conviction earlier Tuesday in the Sept. 6, 2018, shooting of Botham Jean, 26, who lived in a fourth-floor apartment directly above hers.

Guyger, 31, faces a maximum of 99 years in prison.

Guyger claimed that she mistook Jean’s apartment for her own following a 15-hour tour of duty, and shot him while he was eating a bowl of ice cream because she thought he was an intruder.

Prosecutors said Guyger didn’t realize where she was because she was sexting with Rivera, and should have called for backup instead of entering when she found the apartment door unlocked.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.