Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Senior Editor

Default Owner of junk-filled Queens home cleans up act

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.co...trip=all&w=915

Owner of junk-filled Queens home cleans up act
By Lorena Mongelli and Ebony Bowden
September 5, 2019 | 2:27pm

The owner of a Queens home that has become a towering trash dump finally began hauling away debris Thursday — after The Post’s front-page story sparked action from city officials.

Mahindra Ramlal, who has racked up $343,000 in unpaid fines since 2015, and two buddies were seen moving some of the countless bags from the South Jamaica home into the back of a U-Haul van.

“I am going to pick up all the stuff and take it to the dump,” Ramlal told The Post.

Complaints to city officials from neighbors about the potential fire trap and health hazard fell on deaf ears for years until The Post reported on the trash tower Wednesday.

Neighbors pleaded with super-hoarder tenant Carmine Bhimull to clean-up the rat-infested nightmare but they said their calls to city agencies, 311 and the local assemblyman went unanswered.

In the wake of The Post’s coverage, a cavalcade of at least five city agencies finally stepped in on Thursday and were at the 118th Avenue residence to convince Ramlal to clean up the mess.

FDNY Chief of Division 13 James Maloney led the meeting — attended by officials from the Department of Social Services, the Sanitation Department, the Department of Buildings, Housing Preservation and Development and Emergency Management — and said cleanup efforts were expected to take several days.

“He is claiming he doesn’t have the money to do it most expeditiously, so he is going to do it this way,” said Maloney.

“The important this is we don’t want to lead to any confrontation,” he said.

Ramlal — an ex-boyfriend of Bhimull — threatened FDNY officers trying to gain access to the home on Wednesday, telling them, “We have two big dogs. They’ll tear you apart.”

A Department of Buildings employee told The Post he’d be back Thursday afternoon to see if any progress had been made.

If not, Maloney warned the agencies would “tighten up the noose.”

Bhimull was loaded into an ambulance outside the home on Wednesday night and taken to Queens Hospital Center for psychiatric evaluation, FDNY said.

Ramlal said the trash was Bhimull’s “treasure” and warned she’d be “furious” when she got back from the hospital to find the garbage gone.

The city has slapped a vacate order on the front door of the home, banning anyone from entering the pigsty.

Frustrated neighbors rejoiced at the sight of the clutter being carted away on Thursday.

“I’m so happy that the place is finally getting cleaned up,” said Pat Johnson, 66, who lives three doors down.

“You guys made my day. I just want to see the front and back yard again.”

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Owner of junk-filled Queens home cleans up act

https://nypost.com/2019/09/07/queens...d-up-in-trash/

Queens hoarder worried fortune of jewels, cash will end up in trash
By Georgett Roberts and Kenneth Garger
September 7, 2019 | 5:59pm

Carmine Bhimull
Ellis Kaplan

The super hoarder who turned her Queens street into Filth Avenue could have been living on Easy Street — with the $10,000 cash and $30,000 in jewelry she had hidden in her immense piles of trash, a neighbor claims.

Carmine Bhimull claims she stowed the money and baubles among the immense piles of clothes, milk crates, recycling and a broken fish tank — and now she’s worried her treasures will end up in the dumpster.

“She called me last night, she is just concerned about her valuables,” said longtime friend Sheldon Williams, who went to Bhimull’s South Jamaica home to help hired cleaners in ridding the place of tons of garbage.

Williams said Bhimull — who’s been hospitalized since Wednesday night — once showed him the wad of dough and the jewelry.

The haul is now believed to be inside Bhimull’s bedroom, which is still inaccessible, even on the third day of decluttering efforts, as workers were forced to first tackle the two-story mounds of garbage outside of the 118th

Sheldon Williams of Queens, a friend of Carmine Bhimull.
Brigitte Stelzer

While Williams hasn’t been able to locate the possible mini-fortune, he did still find some loot outside, scattered around the yard.

“From the gate to [the] door, we found loose change,” Williams told The Post. “One dollar bill, old two dollar bills and scraps of gold and silver.”

“They were stacked in bags and cinder blocks. We are putting it aside for her.”

Williams said he’s known Bhimull for 15 years — ever since she owned and operated a since-shuttered laundromat with her ex-boyfriend Mahindra Ramlal.

But over the years, Williams recalled, Bhimull’s health declined and in addition to hoarding, she collected bottles and cans as a means for income.

“She lost the laundromat, she decided to go into selling bottles, and that’s what she has been doing,” said Williams. “She is not on public assistance. This is what she does.”

Her behavior pushed away her loved ones, including Ramlal, who owns the home and has racked up $343,000 in unpaid fines since 2015 because of the squalid conditions.

“Her ex bought the house, but he couldn’t deal with it and he moved out. In my eyes, she is a good person, and she still is. She is just sick.”

Mahindra Ramlal, owner of the house
Brigitte Stelzer

On Saturday afternoon, Bhimull’s sister from her native Trinidad called Williams while he was with a Post reporter.

“She just wants to come out of the hospital,” her sister told Williams.

Meanwhile, a cleaning crew from Diamond Power Enterprises clad in white hazmat-like suits hauled away an estimated 40 tons of debris — including bags of bottles and cans — by early Saturday afternoon.

Workers from the ASPCA showed up and took one cat from the yard. They also found what could be the remains of a dog, one of the workers told The Post.

The city Buildings Department dropped by to slap Ramlal with two more summonses — one for the front-yard garbage and another for a broken chain-link fence.

Ramlal, who kickstarted the cleaning effort on Thursday, said that despite his efforts, the tickets continue to pile up.

Alexander Manigat, left, of Diamond Power Enterprises cleaning operation cleans the backyard.
Brigitte Stelzer

“The fire department came and saw me cleaning up and give me a summons,” he said. “I had a U-Haul truck cleaning up when I came, and they gave me the summons.”

“I work, and I am tired, but I try to help. I can only do so much. [Bhimull] is not able to comprehend what’s going on, and she gets upset.”

“They come with violations after violations, and no one could see that she was sick.”

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.