NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Junior News Editor

Default Dutch WM cyclist, 29 traffic fatality Sandy Springs, GA by dui, unlicensed negress

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gwi...ings/967708237

29-year-old cyclist on way to work hit, killed by DUI driver, police say
Updated: Jul 19, 2019 - 4:17 PM

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. - Friends and family are mourning a Sandy Springs man who was hit and killed by a DUI driver as he rode his bike to work early Wednesday morning.

The accident happened around 5 a.m. on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs.

Marten Bijvank, 29, was killed as he rode to work at a nearby Starbucks, police said.

[GoFundMe page for Marten's family]

The driver, who police identified as Antoinette Battle, 34, of Atlanta was arrested and charged with vehicular homicide, DUI and driving while unlicensed.

Channel 2's Mike Petchenik talked to Bijvank's devastated wife about the impact he had on others.

"He was better than good, he was the best," Valentina Fiorillo said through tears. "There will never be anyone like him again."

Fiorillo and Bijvank met online and decided to go to Bonnaroo Music Festival together in 2012.

Bijvank lived in the Netherlands and went home to his family after the festival.

"When it was time to go home, we were really sad and we decided we'd see each other again," Fiorillo said.

Fiorillo proposed and Bijvank moved to Atlanta.

Bijvank's bike was broken in half by the impact.

Fiorillo said she feels sorry for Battle.

"I think it's a real tragedy ... I feel very sorry for her because she did a terrible thing, and if I did that thing, I would never live with myself," Fiorillo said.

Petchenik learned that Battle was charged with a prior DUI and reckless driving in August of 2018, less than a year before Wednesday's crash. That case is still pending.