NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 06:07 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: ‘Empire’ star Jussie Smollett victim of possible racist and homophobic attack

https://abc7chicago.com/brothers-cla...-says/5144861/

Jussie Smollett attack: Brothers claim 'Empire' actor staged attack after threatening letter, source says

CHICAGO --
Two brothers told police that "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett staged an attack on himself because he was upset a threatening letter he received a week prior did not get enough attention, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told ABC News on Monday.

Detectives are actively investigating the allegation, but have not confirmed it to be true, the official said.

Chicago police said this weekend that they are "eager" to re-interview Smollett after releasing the two brothers, who were initially identified as persons of interest in the alleged Jan. 29 attack in Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood. A spokeswoman for Smollett said his attorneys are talking to police.

The brothers, who are not considered suspects in the attack, also told police that they were paid to stage the attack, the official said.

"We are not racist. We are not homophobic and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens," the brothers said in a statement.

http://sandrarose.com/2019/02/report...staged-attack/

Chicago police assigned a dozen investigators to the case. They were assisted by FBI agents who focused their attention on the "anthrax" letter that was addressed to Smollett at Fox TV's Chicago studio.

The powdery substance on the letter turned out to be crushed Acetaminophen (Tylenol).
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: ‘Empire’ star Jussie Smollett victim of possible racist and homophobic attack

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/02...police-report/

BREAKING: Jussie Smollett Is Now A Suspect In A Criminal Investigation For Filing A False Police Repor
t
February 20, 2019 at 5:00 pm

CHICAGO (CBS) — Empire actor Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation for filing a false police report, according to Chicago police.

BREAKING From Chicago police—

“Case Update: Jussie Smollett is now officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation by #ChicagoPolice for filing a false police report (Class 4 felony). Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury.”

— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) February 20, 2019

Filing a false police report is a Class 4 Felony. CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller says Smollett could face probation to up to 1.5 years in prison.

Detectives are currently presenting evidence before a Cook County Grand Jury, police say.

My colleague @vincefloress who is at courthouse says brothers and their attorney walked into Grand Jury room at 3:46. @cbschicago https://t.co/GT6h2g6Y9a

— Charlie De Mar (@CharlieDeMar) February 20, 2019

CBS 2 obtained exclusive video of two men linked to the attack on “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett buying a red hat and ski masks from a store the day before the assault.

The video shows Ola and Abel Osundairo placing the masks and a hat on the counter. Smollett has claimed two men wearing a similar hat and masks attacked him on Jan. 29 in Streeterville, according to police. CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar made multiple phone calls and visited several stores to obtain the video.

The brothers were seen entering the grand jury room at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse on Wednesday.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 AM
Junior News Editor

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/20/jussi...police-report/

Old 02-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Junior News Editor

https://abc7chicago.com/jussie-smollett-bond-set-at-$100k-staged-attack-because-he-was-dissatisfied-with-his-salary-police/5148577/

Jussie Smollett charged: 'Empire' actor's bond set at $100K, staged attack because he was 'dissatisfied with his salary': police

CHICAGO --
"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett appeared in court Thursday after surrendering to authorities in the early morning on one felony count of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report.

The judge set Smollett's bond at $100,000.
He is expected to bond out of jail. He is due back in court March 14, when he is expected to enter his plea.

CLICK HERE to read the full bond proffer

At a press conference, Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said Smollett initially faked a letter using racist and homophobic language. When that didn't get attention, Johnson said, Smollett paid two brothers $3,500 to stage the attack, because he was "dissatisfied with his salary."

"'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger to promote his career," Johnson said. "I am left hanging my head and asking, 'Why? Why would anyone, especially an African-American man, use the symbolism of a noose to make false accusations? How could someone look at the hatred and suffering associated with that symbol and see an opportunity to manipulate that symbol to further his own public profile? How can an individual who has been embraced by the city of Chicago turn around and slap everyone in this city in the face by making these false claims?'"
Old 02-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Junior News Editor

https://abc7chicago.com/jussie-smoll...s-say/5150777/

Jussie Smollett's character to be removed from 'Empire', producers say; actor charged with felony out on bond

CHICAGO --
Jussie Smollett's character will be written off the last two episodes of the TV show "Empire."

The executive producers of the show, including Lee Daniels, issued a statement Friday morning that said they have decided to remove Smollett's character, Jamal, from the last two episodes of the season.

The producers said they care deeply about Smollett, who has been an important member of the show's family since the beginning. They said the last few weeks have taken an emotional toll on the cast and crew, and called the allegations "very disturbing." The producers decided to remove Jamal to avoid further disruption on set, as the legal process plays out.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Junior News Editor

https://abc7chicago.com/whats-next-f...-bill/5150032/

What's next for Jussie Smollett? Possible big police bill

Friday, February 22, 2019 06:13AM
CHICAGO (WLS) --
As actor Jussie Smollett is facing a trashed career and possibly three years in prison, his likely legal play is clear to ABC7 legal analyst Gil Soffer.

"In any criminal case, if you as a defendant are looking at a mountain of evidence and you don't have a viable defense, there's almost no reason to go to trial," said Soffer, a former Chicago federal prosecutor and partner at Katten Law. "Cut your losses. You enter a plea deal."

The scrum Smollett faced leaving Cook County's jail complex would just be the beginning of the unpleasantness if the case went to court.

"It's an ugly, protracted and very public process if you push a case all the way to trial. And if you think your odds of winning are very small, if that's the conclusion he and his lawyers make, then he should be entering a plea deal much sooner than later," Soffer said.

Typically in cases such as this, especially with a young celebrity defendant, the aim is to get out from under the problem quickly with a plea deal.

One common element of any false police report plea deal is restitution to cover the cost of the investigation.

"We have been working on this investigation for about three weeks," said Chicago police superintendent Eddie Johnson.

Smollett may face a huge bill from the city and FBI before this is over. Although no cost figures have been released, based on recent, but much smaller, cases of false police reports, the tab would be extensive.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Junior News Editor

https://www.empireboobookitty.com/20...p-10-funniest/

Jussie Smollett Memes – Top 20 Funniest

Old 03-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Senior Editor

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/05/queen...406.1538355679

Queen Latifah stands by Jussie Smollett after alleged hoax
By Page Six Team
March 5, 2019 | 9:02am

Queen Latifah says she will stand by under-fire lying nigger faggot k ike “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett — until she sees proof that he staged a hate attack on himself.

Smollett has been charged with filing a false police report, and was last week slammed by Chicago cops for taking advantage “of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career.”

But Queen Latifah insisted: “The guy I’ve seen has always been someone who cares about people, who cares about others, and who’s very kind and who’s always been cool and sweet.

“And that’s just the guy I know. So until I can see some definitive proof — which I haven’t seen yet — then, you know, I gotta go with him until I see otherwise.”

Before the case erupted, Smollett last summer told Billboard that he was struggling with the pressures of fame, admitting: “I’m in my 30s and I’m trying my best to learn that I can’t bend anymore. I’m about to break.”

And speaking to Zainab Salbi, host of the Yahoo News show “Through Her Eyes,” Queen Latifah — who once appeared on “Empire” in a crossover episode with her Fox show “STAR” — admitted: “I don’t even know what to make of it.

“All I know is that I hope everything works out in the end and everybody basically comes out unscathed.”

Smollett reported in January that he was attacked by two men yelling racial and homophobic slurs. Chicago police initially called it a possible hate crime, but now allege that Smollett hired two acquaintances from “Empire” — brothers Olabinjo Osundairo and Abimbola Osundairo — to help him stage the assault.

Smollett was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for filing a false police report, a Class 4 felony that is punishable by up to three years in prison. He is out on $100,000 bond and is due back in court March 14. He has also been suspended from “Empire,” on which he’s starred since 2015. Smollett has continually maintained that he did not set up the attack.

You can watch the full episode of “Through Her Eyes” every Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET on Roku.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:58 AM
Junior News Editor

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03...ry-indictment/

Jussie Smollett Update: Grand Jury Returns 16 Counts Against ‘Empire’ Actor
March 8, 2019 at 11:10 pm

CHICAGO (CBS) — Jussie Smollett is now facing deeper legal troubles after a grand jury returned 16 felony counts against the actor for falsely reporting a hate crime attack against him in January.

The grand jury returned the disorderly conduct charges on Thursday. He is scheduled to be arraigned on March 14. The specific allegations–“false report of offense”– are Class 4 felonies.

FULL COVERAGE: Read CBS Chicago Exclusive Coverage Of The Smollett Case

“Jussie Smollett knew that at the time … there was no reasonable ground for believing that such offenses had been committed,” according to the indictment.

The indictment expands the case against the actor. The counts focus on allegedly false statements he made to two different Chicago Police officers. Each count covers various alleged acts that Smollett falsely described to the officers–including that he was hit by two men, that they yelled racial and homophobic slurs and poured a chemical on him.

CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller said Smollett, if convicted could face probation to up to three years in prison.

“[The grand jury] decided he told multiple lies,” Miller said. “There were going to charge him for each.”