NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 04:31 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Injured by drunk negro driver, white boy, 11 is deputized by SC sheriff day before he died

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...226198030.html

Injured by drunk driver, boy is deputized by SC sheriff day before he died, police say

Updated February 13, 2019 12:48 PM

Three days after a car crash severely injured 11-year-old Ethan Frank Rubenzer, the boy died from his injuries in the hospital, the coroner said.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright went to the hospital to see Ethan before he died, according to WYFF. “He said he wanted to work for me one day. I wanted to make sure I didn’t lose that opportunity to deputize a great, brave young man,” the sheriff told the station.

“I put a challenge coin in his hand and I gave him a little small badge and I told the staff up there to please refer to him as Deputy Ethan Rubenzer and they did,” Wright told WYFF.

Wright deputized Ethan Saturday night, the Spartanburg Herald-Journal reports. Ethan died the next day.

Ethan would have turned 12 on Friday, according to High Point Academy, where he was a sixth grader.

The Highway Patrol said 29-year-old Michael Eugene Kelley II crashed into the car Ethan and his mother were in at 7:15 a.m. Friday, WSPA reports.

Kelly was originally charged with three counts related to driving under the influence
, but the charges “have been upgraded to two counts of felony DUI resulting in great injury and one count of felony DUI resulting in death,” according to Fox Carolina.

Ethan was on his was to school when, police say, Kelly hit the car the boy was in and it rolled over, according to WSPA.