NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Senior Editor

Default Football Coach said He Was Fired Over Number Of Darkie Players On Team - Catholic Pres replies

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ired-protests/

Football Coach Claims He Was Fired Over Number Of Minority Players On Team
By Alicia Nieves
April 30, 2018 at 11:58 pm

CHERRY HILL, N.J. (CBS) — Students and parents showed up outside Camden Catholic High School on Monday morning to protest the firing of the football coach.

There are allegations being made over the firing of Nick Strom – who is white – and they include issues about race. The Diocese of Camden says they are looking into allegations his firing may have been racially motivated.

“At four o’clock they told me that I’m on administrative leave as a teacher for the rest of the year and no longer the football and golf coach,” Strom tells CBS3.

Nick Strom | Credit: CBS3

Strom, who was also a history teacher, insists he was fired because he has too many black players on the football team.

“There have always been questions from the administration from the first time I started on the makeup of the team. Freshman that we were bringing in, transfers that we bring in, people that we play on the field and you try and be above that as a coach and you try to give kids an opportunity,” Strom said. (Pinky was bringing in ghetto ringers/rapists.)

Strom says he treats all players with respect—regardless of race.

“I don’t care what they do, I come out there to make a statement for my coach,” said junior Jeremy Nutt.

On Monday, players and parents protested in wake of the firing.

“You need to open up your mind to different things, even your prejudice issues. It may not be all of you, but you need to open your mind up to all the kids that are here, whether it be white, black, any ethnicity that you are. We want to be one community,” said football player Matthew Davis.

Camden Catholic High School issued a statement denying the allegations, calling them “baseless.”

“We do not comment on personnel matters, but it has come to our attention that he has chosen to muddy the reasons for his dismissal with baseless accusations against the school administration. Any concern about racism or racial insensitivity is taken seriously and fully investigated,” said the school.

CBS3 received a copy of the letter the school issued to the coach for his “non-renewal,” citing issues like a professional dress code violation by wearing sneakers instead of dress shoes, and confronting another teacher in front of students.

“I think this is all to cover up the fact that they can’t say what really the problem is,” said Tyrone Bellford, Strom’s former high school coach.

Bellford says the accusations against the school’s administration are not baseless. He says that Strom has confided in him over the past year.

“In one of our conversations, he said it seemed the administration is kind of pushing me about the number of minority students I have coming in here. He talked to me about several instances, where he thought there were some minority students were disciplined, where they were expelled or let go from the school and on one occasion it was a white student who did something he wasn’t. He had serious concerns,” said Bellford.

Family members say they met with Strom after the protest. They say he’s not really concerned about his career, but worried about the future of minority students at the school.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Football Coach Claims He Was Fired Over Number Of Minority Players On Team

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...481749411.html

Camden Catholic President Calls Football Coach's Racism Accusations 'Baseless'
The school's football and golf coach says he was directed by the school's president to give white players more time on the field in order to “connect with the school’s alumni.”
By NBC10 Staff
Published 38 minutes ago | Updated 33 minutes ago

The Camden Catholic High School president accused by a fired football coach of ordering more playing time for white players described the accusations as having "no basis in reality" in a letter to alumni Friday morning.

Mary Whipkey, the school president, said the fired coach, who was also a history teacher, "is peddling complete falsehoods to drive a wedge in this community to advance his own agenda."

Nick "Pinky" Strom said earlier this week that he was directed by Whipkey to give white players more time on the field in order to “connect with the school’s alumni.”

Strom’s attorney confirmed his client learned in a letter last Friday that he was being let go for violating campus dress code, confronting a fellow teacher in front of students and leaving class early to prepare for golf practice.

Terrance Ware, a father of two African American sons who are both juniors at Camden Catholic, told NBC10 his sons will not return to the school because he doesn't feel like its safe for them.

“With all the racism that’s been going on and everything that has transpired... for me, I can’t do that,” Ware said. “I have to be a father first."

The Diocese of Camden is currently investigating Strom’s accusations.

“The Diocese of Camden and the School’s Office take very seriously any and all allegations of racism,” a Diocese spokesperson wrote. “By their very nature as Catholic, our schools are expected to be welcoming and nurturing to all students.”

In her letter to alumni, Whipkey touted the Cherry Hill school's racial and economic diversity in defending herself against Strom's claim.

"We are stronger than these baseless allegations — which are frankly inconsistent with the spirit and environment of Camden Catholic," Whipkey wrote. "We know each other too well and care for each other too deeply to let false and mean spirited words divide us."

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.