NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Negro Jo-Jo to be re-sentenced 1992 Des Moines Diner Shooting Deaths WM, WF Managers During Rob

I CAN'T FIND ORIGINAL THREAD

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ings/82623200/

Jo-Jo White seeks new sentence in Drake Diner slayings
2:42 p.m. CDT April 8, 2016

Jo-Jo White must be re-sentenced because the U.S. Supreme Court banned mandatory life-without-parole sentences for juveniles in 2012. He was 17 at the time of the Drake Diner slayings.

Prosecutors and defense lawyers are preparing to revisit one of the most infamous crimes in Des Moines' history at a new sentencing hearing on track to happen for Joseph "Jo-Jo" White Jr.

The hearing could open the door for White to someday leave prison on parole.

White, 40, is currently serving a life-without-parole prison sentence for the Nov. 29, 1992, shooting deaths of two young managers working that evening at the Drake Diner. The murders happened in front of at least 40 people inside the restaurant, setting off a tense search for the shooter before White was arrested six days later.

"I remember that as if it was yesterday," said Polk County Attorney John Sarcone, who became the county's top prosecutor in 1991.

Linked to the murders by a rare .44 Magnum handgun, White was convicted of two first-degree murder counts in 1993.

But the path for him to be re-sentenced was opened by a 5-4 2012 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that banned mandatory life-without-parole sentences for convicted murderers who were under 18 when the crime happened. White was 17 at the time of the killings.

Cara McGrane, 25, was a manager at the Drake Diner before her death during a 1992 shooting at the restaurant

Tim Burnett, 28, had come in to his job at the Drake Diner to help set up a Christmas tree before he was killed in the 1992 shooting

Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: Negro Jo-Jo to be re-sentenced 1992 Des Moines Diner Shooting Deaths WM, WF Managers During Rob

http://www.kcci.com/news/man-convict...enced/41242794

Family of Drake Diner murder victims: 'I hope you rot in hell'
UPDATED 10:33 AM CDT Aug 17, 2016

DES MOINES, Iowa —The man convicted in the Drake Diner murders in 1992 was resentenced Wednesday.

Joseph White Jr. was 17 when he was sentenced to life in prison without parole for the murders of Cara McGrane and Tim Burnett.

A judge sentenced White Jr. Wednesday to life in prison with the possibility of parole, and a request for probation was denied. He is currently serving two life sentences on each count. He is to serve the sentences consecutively.

A Supreme Court ruling in 2012 banned mandatory life prison terms for minors.

White was 17 years, 11 months and 5 days old at time of murders. Had the Drake Diner murders happened days later, he couldn't be resentenced.

Family members of the victims spoke at the hearing. Tim Burnett's older sister spoke directly to Joseph White Jr. "You don't deserve a second chance. At 17.5 years old, you knew right from wrong. My brother died because of a waste of a human being. I hope you rot in hell.”

Burnett's younger sister also addressed White Jr. "You should have been executed, and I would have done it for free."

Burnett's identical twin brother, Lyle, also had harsh words for White Jr. “You made your decision. You don't deserve a second chance.”

Lyle said he has also been in some sort of prison since his brother's death. The only difference is that White Jr. has walls around him.

"If my God lets me, I'll meet you at the gates of hell. That's where you belong."

The prosecuting attorney said White Jr. had a long history of criminal activity, even after he was imprisoned. "He had 19 major violations since he moved to federal prison."

White declined to speak at resentencing hearing following his attorney's recommendation.

The Judge says he took into consideration White's age, prior convictions, and substance abuse history.