NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Rochester, NY meteorologist canned, grovels "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Park" weather airing

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ng/2499961002/

WHEC apologizes to viewers after firing meteorologist Jeremy Kappell for racial slur
Updated 8:48 a.m. ET Jan. 8, 2019

A television meteorologist is out of a job one day after Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren and City Council President Loretta Scott called for his firing for making a racial slur during a broadcast.
An executive at the station, WHEC (Channel 10), apologized to viewers on the air during an evening broadcast Monday.

During a WHEC weather forecast on Friday that showed a live shot of the city's Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park, Jeremy Kappell appeared to call it "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Park."

The station's vice president and general manager, Richard A. Reingold, confirmed Kappell's dismissal in a statement Monday.

"As a result of that broadcast, meteorologist Jeremy Kappell is no longer with News10NBC," Reingold said. "We believe strongly in holding our reporters and anchors to the highest standard."

Kappell, who had been WHEC's chief meteorologist since October 2017, said Monday evening that the incident had been "a simple misunderstanding" that arose because he "jumbled a couple of words.

"I know some people did interpret that the wrong way. That ("coon") was not a word I said, I promise you that. If you did feel that it hurt you in any way, I sincerely apologize," Kappell said in a four-minute video statement he posted on his Facebook page.