NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 06:30 AM
Junior News Editor

Default 'It was just boom, boom, boom'; Alton, IL WM cab driver describes being stabbed 12X by negro

http://www.kmov.com/story/38852341/a...murder-charges

'It was just boom, boom, boom'; Alton cab driver describes being stabbed 12 times
Updated: Aug 09, 2018 9:03 PM PDT

ALTON, Ill. (KMOV.com) -

An Alton man is facing attempted murder charges Thursday for stabbing a cab driver 12 times.

The Madison County State’s Attorney’s Office charged 54-year-old Arthur E. Smallwood for attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery.

Police said Smallwood stabbed the victim, a cab driver for Alton’s Best Cabs, over 12 times causing injury to the victim’s back, shoulder and neck.

The driver. who is an immigrant from Norway, said he recalls a passenger pulling a knife a few minutes after hopping into his cab.

"He jumps over behind me, grabs me around the neck and tells me to not do anything. Instinctively, I grabbed his hands and pushed it away from me," said the driver. "I did not realize he had a knife until he stabbed me 5-6 times. I grabbed his hand trying to stop him."

Quick thinking likely saved his life.

"I just put my foot down on the gas and took off. I hit the brakes and hit the gas to shake him loose from me. We came around the next corner and I just nailed it," the driver said.

The driver said the passenger begged to get out of the car.

"The tussle did not last 20 seconds, it was just a blur. When it was all done, I had blood everywhere and needed to get to the hospital now," said the driver.