NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM
Senior Editor

Default Slain (black) Bronx hoopster’s last words revealed: ‘Call my mom’ - victim of defunding police

https://nypost.com/2020/06/29/slain-...d-call-my-mom/

Slain Bronx hoopster’s last words revealed: ‘Call my mom’
By Lorena Mongelli and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
June 29, 2020 | 5:49pm | Updated

Brandon Hendricks at the basketball court. Courtesy of the Hendricks family

The innocent Bronx basketball phenom gunned down Sunday night used his dying breaths to ask a friend to “call my mom,” one of his teammates told The Post Monday.

Brandon Hendricks, 17, was at a birthday party in Morris Heights with friends when shots rang out, pal Hammad Singleton said as he described his friend’s final moments.

“In the blink of an eye, me and my friends are running away,” Singleton, 18, said. “I turn around and he told me, ‘I got hit,’ and I just seen it.”

“I grabbed him and said we can’t stop right here because there’s more shots going off,” he said. “He stopped at the steps and we sat him down. He started wobbling. So, I sat him down. My friends took off his shirt and I’m holding that for him. I’m talking to him: ‘You’re good bro, you’re good?’ He’s like, ‘Yeah, I’m okay, I’m okay.'”

“He’s trying to smile. He’s trying to talk to me: ‘I’m good, I’m good,'” recalled Singleton, who goes by the nickname Bam. “He said, ‘Yo, Bam, I love you. Call my mom.'”

“He just closed his eyes,” Singleton said. “He didn’t say anything else after that. That was it.”

Hendricks, who graduated from James Monroe High School last week, was shot once in the neck around 11:50 p.m. Sunday at Davidson Avenue and 176th Street in the Bronx. He was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Witnesses told police that Hendricks “had been engaged in a verbal dispute” before the shooting, sources said.

But Singleton said he was just a bystander.

“It really wasn’t meant for him,” he said. “Wrong place, wrong time. The people who were with me are all basketball players. Nothing to do with the streets.”

A standout student-athlete at the school, Hendricks was captain of the basketball team over the past two years, was weighing college options, his family said.

“He was a fierce competitor but also a very supportive guy,” James Monroe basketball coach Nigel Thompson said. “That is why you see all this outpouring of love and support.”

“It’s hard because you can’t bring him back,” Thompson said, lamenting how Hendricks had become a victim of the city’s growing gun-violence. “He had so much promise. It’s hard to deal with the senseless violence that plagues our streets.”

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:55 PM
Senior Editor

Default Memorials sprout up for slain NYC high school basketball star

https://nypost.com/2020/06/29/memori...sketball-star/

Memorials sprout up for slain NYC high school basketball star
By Lorena Mongelli and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
June 29, 2020 | 5:42pm | Updated

Dan Herrick; Courtesy of Hendricks family

A pair of memorials have sprung up for the promising young Bronx basketball player who was shot dead Sunday — one inside the lobby of his apartment building and the other on the basketball court outside.

Dozens of multi-colored candles spelled out 17-year-old Brandon Hendrick’s nickname, “B Diddy 5,” inside the Morrisania Houses apartment building where he grew up, and a circle of candles adorned the court outside where he honed his hoops skills.

The memorials sprouted up just hours after Hendricks was shot and killed while at a friend’s birthday party in Morris Heights.

“It’s not fair,” neighbor Starasia Horton said Monday. “This is sad because he was a good kid. He didn’t deserve this.”

Hendricks, the just-graduated former captain of the James Monroe High School basketball team, was shot once in the neck shortly before midnight Sunday and was later pronounced dead at St. Barnabas Hospital.

Friends and neighbors set up the memorials Monday morning.

Alongside the candles on the court outside were two basketballs and a Philadelphia 76ers jersey.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.