Notices

Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Senior Editor

Default ‘Anne & Frank’ bakery owner considers name change after backlash

https://nypost.com/2018/08/28/anne-f...fter-backlash/

‘Anne & Frank’ bakery owner considers name change after backlash
By Yaron Steinbuch
August 28, 2018 | 8:01am

The owner of Anne & Frank Bakery in Amsterdam said he'll "have a good think about it." Twitter

An Amsterdam bakery owner has been assailed for naming his new store “Anne & Frank” – linking it to the world-famous Jewish diarist who died in the Holocaust after hiding from the Nazis with her parents.

Twitter users slammed the owner, named only as Roberto, for being “tasteless” in his decision to tie his Dutch business to the girl, who died of typhus at age 15 in the Bergen-Belsen camp in 1945.

Roberto was quoted as saying “it seemed like a nice name to me,” adding that Anne “is a hero for me, too,” according to the BBC.

He told Dutch media he would change the name.

“I’ll have a good think about it,” he said. “It wasn’t my intention to offend anyone.”

Social media user Drukke Toestand tweeted that “even if the owners had been called Anne and Frank it would still be shocking.”

Anne wrote in her diary until she and her family were discovered by the Nazis on Aug. 4, 1944, and deported to Auschwitz.

Her father, Otto, was the only member of the Frank family to survive. He had his daughter’s diary published and it has since been translated into dozens of languages and become a worldwide bestseller.

The Anne Frank House, located in the same neighborhood as the bakery, is one of the top sights for tourists to Amsterdam.

It documents the suffering of Jews during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands during World War II.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.