NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 09-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Senior Editor

Default Re: New York City - Miscegenous Mayor 'Comrade' Bill De Blasio in the news

http://nypost.com/2016/09/26/de-blas...tchdog-agency/

De Blasio’s wedding minister lands on police watchdog agency
By Michael Gartland and Natalie Musumeci
September 26, 2016 | 3:13pm

Mayor de Blasio appointed two new members to the city’s police-watchdog agency Monday – including the Presbyterian minister who officiated at his wedding.

Frederick Davie, the executive vice president of the Union Theological Seminary at Columbia University, and Angela Fernández, the executive director and supervising lawyer of the Northern Manhattan Coalition for Immigrant Rights, are the newest members of the Civilian Complaint Review Board.

Davie oversaw Hizzoner’s nuptials to First Lady Chirlane McCray in 1994.

“Frederick’s years of experience working in social justice and LGBT programs as well as Angela’s tireless work defending immigrant New Yorkers illustrates their commitment to community and their ability to serve New Yorkers as CCRB members,” de Blasio said in a statement. “I look forward to working closely with both of them.”

Both Davie, who is currently a member of the Mayor’s Clergy Advisory Council, and Fernández are expected to bring “a wealth of experience” to the 13-member CCRB – an agency that investigates complaints about alleged NYPD misconduct, de Blasio said.

“As a place of dynamic discourse and critical evaluation of evidence in police misconduct complaints and trends, the Board’s strength is its diversity of expertise and experience. The Mayor’s appointees will add mightily to these strengths,” said CCRB chair Maya Wiley, a former legal advisor to the mayor, in a statement.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: New York City - Miscegenous Mayor 'Comrade' Bill De Blasio in the news

http://nypost.com/2016/09/27/de-blas...ing-home-deal/

De Blasio deputy has amnesia when it comes to shady nursing home deal
By Yoav Gonen and Rich Calder
September 27, 2016 | 1:47am

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Deputy Mayor Tony Shorris on Nov. 20, 2014.

First Deputy Mayor Tony Shorris suffered numerous memory lapses about the Rivington Street nursing-home fiasco, telling investigators more than two dozen times that he couldn’t recall incidents, *e-mails or details, records show.

Mayor de Blasio’s right-hand man claimed he couldn’t remember a meeting with Stacey Cumberbatch, a city commissioner, or the content of any conversations they had about Rivington in 2014.

His schedule showed a July 25, 2014, meeting with Cumberbatch, then head of the Department of Citywide Administrative Services, where the deal was on the agenda.

Shorris also said he believed his decision that the property should remain a nursing home — rather than be sold on the open market — was communicated to the agency.

But he couldn’t recall how.

“I’ve asked myself that question. I do not remember the exact mechanism. I just don’t,” he told investigators for city Comptroller Scott Stringer, according to a transcript of the July 27 interview obtained by The Post through public-disclosure laws.

Asked if he had met with Cumberbatch about Rivington in 2014, Shorris replied, “Probably. I can’t say I remember exactly.”

For decades, the Lower East Side nursing home had been preserved as a nonprofit health-care facility under two deed restrictions imposed by the city.

City Hall got involved in the matter in 2014 after Local 1199 of SEIU, the biggest union backer of de Blasio’s 2013 mayoral run, expressed concern that a sale would cost jobs at the site.

In 2015, the property was sold to a for-profit health-care firm, the Allure Group, and later that year, the city lifted both property restrictions in exchange for $16.1 million.

But the site was sold again in February 2016 to a luxury-housing developer at a $72 million profit — resulting in four investigations of how things went awry.

The interview transcript shows investigators grilled Shorris about his claim that he didn’t learn about the February 2016 sale until after it happened, even though *e-mails show members of his staff discussed the pending sale in December 2015.

When investigators tried to press Shorris over the two-month lapse, his lawyer, G. Michael Bellinger, repeatedly intervened.

”He already answered that question. Don’t answer it again,” Bellinger said. “I’m instructing him not to answer that question.”

A City Hall spokesman said Shorris will be testifying at a City Council hearing on the Rivington House deal Thursday.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/09/28/family-...eceives-5-75m/

Family of dead Rikers inmate receives $5.75M
By Priscilla DeGregory
September 28, 2016 | 1:50am

Beverly Ann Griffin (left), mother of Bradley Ballard. Photo: AP

The family of a mentally ill Rikers inmate who died after sexually mutilating himself in his cell will get $5.75 million in a settlement deal with the city filed today in Manhattan Federal Court.

The suit claimed Bradley Ballard, 39, was not fed or cared for while he was being punished in a cell in 2013. The schizophrenic man tightly put a rubber band around his genitals, which became infected. A state investigation deemed the care Ballard received at Rikers was “incompetent.”

Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/09/29/nyc-wan...s-to-shoot-up/

NYC wants to make it safer for drug addicts to shoot up
By Rich Calder
September 29, 2016 | 12:44am

Heroin addicts could be getting a clean, medically supervised facility to shoot up — all at the city’s expense.

The City Council has allocated $100,000 to the Health Department for a nine-month study of whether it makes sense to open “supervised injection facilities” where intravenous drug users could get high under medical supervision.

Officials said such facilities, which already exist in dozens of cities outside the US, help prevent drug overdoses, reduce HIV and viral hepatitis transmission and connect addicts with drug-treatment options.

“It’s been done and been implemented in other areas [of the world], so we just want to look up what the viability would be in New York,” said Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito.

The study comes as the city is grappling with a record 937 fatal drug overdoses in 2015, a 66 percent increase since 2010.

But state Conservative Party Chairman Michael Long said the $100,000 could “be put to better use than sending a message that it is OK to use intravenous drugs as long as you use a government- sanctioned place.”

About 100 such legal drug dens are open in Europe and Canada.

A few US cities, including Seattle and Ithaca, NY, are examining the idea.

Earlier this year, Boston opened a facility where addicts can ride out their highs under medical observation, but only after injecting themselves elsewhere.

Mark-Viverito declined to address the legality of supervised injection facilities or whether she supports them, saying she plans to await the study’s findings.

Researchers will review data on health conditions and disease transmission related to heroin and other injected drugs; evaluate existing supervised injection facilities; assess legal issues and get input from select “city officials and community experts,” according to a council memo.

The $100,000 is coming from $5.6 million set aside in the city budget to combat AIDS

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/09/28/city-co...of-allegiance/

City Council members stand with colleague by sitting during Pledge of Allegiance
By Michael Gartland and Rich Calder
September 28, 2016 | 11:49pm

New York Council Member Carlos Menchaca (D-Bklyn) remains seated as the Pledge of Allegiance is recited before a stated meeting on Wednesday. Photo: Chad Rachman

Seven more members of the City Council refused to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance Wednesday, saying they were showing support for colleague Jumaane Williams, who received hate mail for sitting through the pledge two weeks earlier.

Both Mayor de Blasio and Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito expressed support for the pledge boycott.

“I absolutely respect everyone’s First Amendment rights, and I very much respect what’s motivating this protest,” de Blasio said at an unrelated press conference in Brooklyn.

He went on to describe the pledge as “an affirmation of our democracy that is still evolving, that needs to get better.”

New York Council Member Jumaane Williams remains seated during the Pledge of Allegiance in the City Council Chambers.
Photo: Chad Rachman

Mark-Viverito, who took flak for refusing to stand for the pledge before becoming speaker, said she doesn’t understand why the actions of Williams and the others are creating a fuss.

“People have a right to express themselves as they choose,” said Mark-Viverito, who stood. “I respect colleagues to decide how they best want to express themselves.”

When he first sat out the pledge, Williams, of Brooklyn, said he was acting in solidarity with San Francisco 49ers Colin Kaepernick, who refuses to stand for the National Anthem.

The legislators who joined Williams were: Antonio Reynoso, Brad Lander, Rafael Espinal, Carlos Menchaca and Inez Barron, all of Brooklyn, as well as Ruben Wills of Queens and Andy King of The Bronx.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/09/29/de-blas...nd-minorities/

De Blasio aims to award more city contracts to women and minorities
By Yoav Gonen
September 29, 2016 | 1:22am

After coming under attack for not awarding enough government contracts to women- and minority-owned firms, Mayor de Blasio on Wednesday announced a new goal of awarding 30 percent of city contract dollars to such firms by 2021.

De Blasio also announced the creation of a Mayor’s Office of Minority and Women Owned Enterprises, while pushing for legislation in Albany that would allow a vendor’s status as a women- or minority-owned firm to factor into the awarding of certain contracts.

The mayor put the fiscal 2016 award rate for women- and minority-owned businesses at 14.3 percent of total contract dollars.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/09/29/25000-r...charter-seats/

25,000 rally to demand de Blasio double number of charter seats
By Selim Algar
September 29, 2016 | 12:54am

Thousands of charter school supporters gather in Prospect Park for the Path to Possible rally. Photo: William Farrington

Cheering and chanting for choice, an unprecedented crowd of roughly 25,000 parents, children and teachers swarmed Prospect Park on Wednesday to demand the doubling of city charter school seats by 2020.

Pouring into Brooklyn by coach, subway and city bus from across the city, the swarm of boosters implored Mayor Bill de Blasio to raise the total charter population to 200,000 to accommodate bursting demand.

The rally’s organizers, Success Academy and Families for Excellent Schools, argued that the increase — branded Path to Possible — would help erase the chronic achievement gap between minority kids and their peers. Charter schools currently serve 10 percent of all city kids.

“For decades the system has failed tens of thousands of children who in many cases have been doomed to life sentences of disadvantage and despair,” Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-Brooklyn) told the energetic crowd.

“We need to turn the situation around. And what has become clear to everyone who is paying attention is that the charter school movement has been a tremendous part of the solution.”

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY)
Photo: Getty Images

Jeffries, a potential challenger to de Blasio next year, was one of 22 local politicians who signed a letter pushing for the expansion.

While charters contended with negative press and political setbacks this year, backers have been able to rely on one constant — strong achievement scores.

Rapper and actor Common, who addressed the crowd before performing, told The Post he was startled by Success Academy’s metrics.

“These are kids who weren’t supposed to perform like this,” he said. “It’s impressive. You have to pay attention to the numbers. There’s truth in numbers.”

Rap artist Common performs for thousands of charter school supporters gathered in Prospect Park for the Path to Possible rally.
Photo: William Farrington

The Chicago native said his mother, a teacher, opted to send him to private school rather than the city’s turbulent public system.

“She had a choice,” he said. “She had the ability to make that choice and I still benefit from it to this day. I think that’s what parents want — a choice.”

Attendees argued that the opportunity to look for their children’s talents at a charter campus should not be reduced to lotteries.

Parents cited high test scores as evidence that charter kids were shedding negative expectations and conceiving of academic progress as inevitable.

“For my entire life, New York City public schools told me, ‘You can’t.’ They set me up for failure,” said Sharita Moore-Willis, of the Bronx. “I am marching so my daughter, and 200,000 children in communities like mine, will never go through the same experience and will finally get the great schools they deserve.”

Kezia Wilson, 25, of Bedford-Stuyvesant, said pursuing a charter education for her son, Jonah Gillespie, 5, grew urgent after she learned of test score gaps.

“Just give me the choice,” she said. “Give all parents this choice. If we equally and properly educate our kids, they can change the world.”

Prior to the rally, de Blasio told WNYC radio host Brian Lehrer that he was willing to collaborate with charters but was still focused on traditional public schools.

“I think the focus has to be on the 90 percent of our kids in the traditional public schools who deserve better, and that’s where our energies have to go, and it’s about fixing the entire school system,” he said.

De Blasio, who has criticized charters for selecting promising kids to boost stats, cited higher graduation rates and his pre-K initiative as evidence of improvement.

But Jeffries challenged de Blasio and Chancellor Carmen Fariña to consider that weathered strategies with reupholstered branding aren’t likely to create needed change.

“The chancellor is committed to the traditional public school system and making change from within,” Jeffries told The Post. “Many of us are of the view that you can’t continue to do the same thing and expect different results. And that’s why we are pushing the administration to embrace the reality that charter schools have made a difference.”

Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/09/30/deputy-...ch-de-blasios/

Deputy mayor’s Rivington timeline doesn’t match de Blasio’s
By Yoav Gonen and Michael Gartland
September 30, 2016 | 12:57am

First Deputy Mayor Anthony Shorris on Thursday said he told Mayor de Blasio about the Rivington nursing-home fiasco in early March — contradicting Hizzoner’s own account that he learned about it weeks later from a newspaper story.

Testifying before the City Council, Shorris said he first learned of the botched deal in late February and by March 1 had asked Department of Investigation Commissioner Mark Peters to launch a probe into how the city allowed the non-profit home to be sold for luxury housing.

Pressed on the timeline after 2¹/₂ hours of testimony, Shorris said he had informed the mayor of the troubling situation within three days of his call to Peters.

“So I was spending a day or two, three days — I can’t remember the exact time — to garner the facts, because when I brief the mayor I like to have a comprehensive set of information to give him,” Shorris told reporters.

But the mayor has said he didn’t learn about the mess until The Wall Street Journal reported on March 22 that Comptroller Scott Stringer was investigating the land deal — which netted the buyer of the nursing home a $72 million windfall when it flipped the property in February.

At a March 28 press conference at NYPD headquarters, de Blasio said he became aware that the nursing home had been sold “when it became public.”

“I’m not happy about the fact that I didn’t hear about it in advance, before it became public,” he said at the time.

City Councilmember Ben Kallos (D-Manhattan), chair of the Committee on Governmental Operations, said the hearing elicited a number of contradictions from prior accounts from City Hall.

“This is one of the few conversations that is happening under oath, and I think that the facts that have been reported are different than what was testified here today,” he told The Post.

“It’s hard to believe the lack of knowledge when there’s so much e-mail and other documentation that shows that the administration was aware of it at City Hall as early as December [2015], if not before that.”

City Hall officials later walked back Shorris’ timeline, saying his review of the deal lasted several weeks — not days — before he told the mayor.

“The First Deputy Mayor has said all along that he informed the mayor in tandem with the mayor’s reading of the late-March news reports. That’s a fact,” said mayoral spokesman Eric Phillips.

“Today, Mr. Shorris remembered that time period being a few days after he called on DOI to investigate the matter, when in reality it was a couple of weeks.”

DOI found that top City Hall officials knew or should have known about the deal, where the city got $16.1 million in exchange for lifting two restrictions on the property’s uses.

Stringer found mismanagement and miscommunication at City Hall, but no misconduct.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 AM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/09/29/de-blas...ash-aftermath/

De Blasio skips town during Hoboken train crash aftermath
By Carl Campanile
September 29, 2016 | 10:19pm

It was a busy day in city government Thursday, with the deadly Hoboken train crash affecting commuters, a City Hall hearing on a controversial nursing-home sale and questions swirling about the beating death of a 6-year-old boy in Harlem.

And where was Mayor de Blasio? He was rushing to make a flight to Oklahoma for a two-day US Conference of Mayors.

“His schedule hasn’t changed. He’s closely monitoring the situation in New Jersey, along with ensuring that the area gets any New York City resources it may need,” said spokesman Eric Phillips.

Gov. Cuomo took a different tack.

He canceled a trip to Israel for the funeral of Shimon Peres to join New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie in overseeing the bistate response to Thursday’s commuter-train crash.