Notices

Old 11-24-2020, 07:48 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Man shoved onto NYC subway tracks by suspected panhandler

https://nypost.com/2020/11/24/homele...-subway-shove/

Homeless man arrested in connection to Brooklyn subway shove
By Amanda Woods
November 24, 2020 | 8:14am | Updated

The homeless man suspected of shoving an unsuspecting stranger onto Brooklyn subway tracks over the weekend was arrested early Tuesday, cops said.

Michael Medlock, 33, was picked up outside his mother’s home in the Starrett City development in East New York around 12:30 a.m., after a Crime Stoppers tip alerted authorities that he frequented that location, cops said.

Medlock was charged with two counts of attempted assault, and one count each of reckless endangerment and menacing, police said.

The 29-year-old victim had been riding the northbound 4 train with his girlfriend around 11:30 a.m. Sunday when the suspect, who had been sleeping, suddenly woke up and started screaming, according to police.

Medlock then followed the couple off the train at the Atlantic Avenue stop and then allegedly shoved the man on the southbound tracks — a disturbing scene captured on surveillance footage.

The victim was able to get back on the platform and was not seriously hurt, police said.

The victim later relieved the stress by grabbing a “post-police interview” hot dog at Nathan’s.

Medlock was previously held in state prison on a second-degree robbery charge, more than a decade ago, records show.

Michael Medlock
DCPI

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:07 AM
Senior Editor

https://nypost.com/2020/11/23/nypd-s...shing-attacks/

NYPD sending cops back into subways after rash of pushing attacks
By Craig McCarthy and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
November 23, 2020 | 6:55pm

The cops pulled from city subways to police summertime protests will be sent back underground to deal with the growing rash of recent subway pushing incidents, authorities said.

Chief of Transit Kathleen O’Reilly told reporters on Monday that the beefed-up police presence will include 120 cops who were previously assigned to patrol duties during Black Lives Matter protests and other demonstrations — and will now head underground.

“We’ve been able to redeploy significant numbers of members of the service to police our trains and our platforms,” O’Reilly said.

“Pushing obviously is a topical subject,” she said. “We’ve gone from 17 [last year] to 20 this year. But these are still a few vicious but isolated acts by no means representing the majority of the subway system, which remains one of the safest ways to move around the city.”

O’Reilly noted that overall crime was down 27 percent in the transit system this year, even as ridership has fallen by 60 percent amid lockdown restrictions in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. She argued that subway criminals may have felt emboldened with fewer people around.

Asked if the department would tap into other city services to address the presence of emotionally disturbed people in the subway system, the chief said the NYPD was “constantly in talks” with those agencies, including the controversial Thrive program started by city First Lady Chirlane McCray.

“Obviously, emotionally distraught people remain a concern for the NYPD and we’ve responded to more than 5,300 calls for service within the subway system involving emotionally disturbed people,” she said. “So, we’re constantly in talks with those agencies to see what we can do together collectively.”

The announcement comes after three shoving incidents in the past week at city subway stations, the most recent a Sunday morning attack that sent a 29-year-old straphanger onto the rails at the Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center station in Brooklyn.

On Thursday a 40-year-old woman was pushed onto the tracks at the 14th Street-Union Square station by an unhinged homeless man, one day after a panhandler knocked a 36-year-old subway rider onto the trackbed at the 42nd Street-Bryant Park station.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said earlier on Monday that he would beef up police presence at transit stations, saying he understands “the fear” New Yorkers are feeling as a result of the train platform assaults.

The MTA had previously chided the NYPD for taking cops off subway platforms to police BLM protests.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:38 PM
Senior Editor

https://nypost.com/2020/11/24/man-56...ovoked-attack/

Man, 56, punched on Queens subway platform in unprovoked attack
By Tina Moore and Amanda Woods
November 24, 2020 | 11:46am

A random attacker socked a 56-year-old man in the face on a Queens subway platform this week, cops said.

The victim was on the R platform at Queens Plaza in Hunters Point around 9:15 a.m. Monday when the stranger suddenly punched him, causing him to fall to the ground, authorities said.

He was taken conscious and alert to Elmhurst Hospital Center for pain and a cut on his mouth, cops said.

He was recovering at home Tuesday morning, and his attacker remained at large.

Several New Yorkers have been shoved onto subway tracks in recent weeks, prompting the police to send more cops back into the system.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 AM
Senior Editor

https://nypost.com/2020/11/24/queens...rrible-attack/

NYC subway-slugging victim says it’s ‘a miracle I’m alive’
By Lorena Mongelli, Tina Moore and Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
November 24, 2020 | 5:46pm | Updated

Nelson Blanco shows the injuries he sustained after being sucker-punched. Handout (2)

An Elmhurst man sucker-punched by a stranger on the Queens Plaza subway platform said it’s a miracle he’s alive — and said his attacker “must take boxing classes or something” based on how hard he swings.

Nelson Blanco, a 57-year-old construction worker, told The Post he was on his way to work and waiting to transfer to an R train at 9:15 a.m. Monday when the brute slugged him from out of the blue.

“It was horrible,” Blanco said at his home Tuesday. “Just talking about it makes me cry.”

“I was standing on the platform leaning against a column and was on the phone with my supervisor and when I turned my head I just felt the punch throw me back and I closed my eyes and hit the ground,” he said. “Luckily I hit the column first and that stopped the fall.

“It’s really a miracle I’m alive. If he hit the back of my neck, I might not be alive,” Blanco added. “He hit me with so much power. I really think he must take boxing classes or something. He also caught me completely off guard. I never saw that coming.”

The Colombia native, who lives with his wife and two daughters, said he initially saw his attacker sitting on the station stairs about 14 feet away, but didn’t realize the man had come up behind him.

He said the suspect fled the station when two bystanders came to his aid and called police.

Police said there have been no arrests in the case, but Blanco said cops showed him a photo of the assailant and he identified him.

The incident comes amid a rash of subway shoving incidents that prompted the city to announce a beefed-up police presence in the transit system.

But Blanco said he might be done with the subway system after the painful attack that sent him to Elmhurst Hospital for much of the day.

“Now I’ve been warned and next time I take the subway, I won’t even trust my own shadow, and for 25 years it was never like that,” he said. “Next time I see someone staring at me I will look right back at them.”

“I may even just drive in and take my own car,” he said. “I don’t know that I want to take the train. I don’t feel as safe anymore.”