Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Senior Editor

Default Re: On the menu: ghetto lobster

https://nypost.com/2018/10/12/family...-by-hot-water/

Fambly plans to sue Applebee's after toddler scalded by hot water
By Gina Daidone and Georgett Roberts
October 12, 2018 | 4:11pm | Updated October 12, 2018 | 7:53pm

A toddler was severely burned by scalding hot water at a Queens Applebee’s — and the family plans to sue because they claim employees waited 20 minutes to call for help.

The tot, Cadien Scott Gaffney, was at the restaurant on Rockaway Boulevard in Rosedale with fambly on Oct. 5, when he grabbed and spilled a cup of piping hot water, which the fambly had requested to sterilize utensils , a fambly spokeswoman told The Post.

Employees did not call 911 for over 20 minutes , the fambly’s attorney is now claiming.

But Applebee’s is countering that security footage shows staffers acted “with urgency.”

In an e-mailed statement to The Post on Friday, a rep for Doherty Enterprises, the Applebee’s franchisee, said the establishment has reviewed the police report and video footage of the incident and “can confirm our team members acted with urgency, calling for medical assistance while helping the family.

“We are truly saddened by this accident and our thoughts are with the child and family,” the representative said.

“We applaud the response from local police and EMTs, who were onsite within minutes.

“We were unable to obtain the family’s contact information onsite but would like to assist in any way that we can as we continue to cooperate with authorities. As always, the safety of our guests is top priority.”

Customers at the Applebee’s on Friday agreed that the parents were the ones responsible for protecting the child from the hot water — and for getting him immediate aid.

“Why did she wait to call 911? [If] my baby is burned, my first response
is to secure my kid. And then call 911,” said Shaquana Jennings, 31, a culinary student and the mother of two boys ages 9
and 5.

“It’s not their (Applebee’s) fault. She axed fo da hot watah… She should have been mo aware of the chile and da hot watah,” Jennings said, adding,
“I don’t understand how she can be suing them for a mistake she made.”

Applebee’s may be at some fault if the server placed the hot water too near the baby, said Michael Douglas, 35, who was at the restaurant with his 18-month-old son.

Still, he added, “If my baby gets hurt, I call 911 myself right away.”

Regardless of fault, the child suffered severe burns.

“He’s crying, he’s agitated, he’s not eating, he’s not sleeping,” said fambly spokeswoman Kourtnei Patterson, 35.

“He is a baby so he wants to play, he’ll get up and try [to play] but he collapses in pain, screaming bloody murder.”

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.