Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Senior Editor

Default BLACK Hispanic Man finally charged with 2005 murder of girlfriend

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/man-fi...of-girlfriend/

Man finally charged with 2005 murder of girlfriend
By Emily Saul
October 9, 2018 | 8:19pm | Updated October 9, 2018 | 10:53pm

A Virginia man has finally been charged with the 2005 murder of his girlfriend — despite having left a bizarre, signed note alongside her bloody remains.

Prosecutors say Julius Esquelin shot Desiree Cofield in the head as their 3-year-old daughter and nephew looked on inside their Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment more than a decade ago.

Esquelin then allegedly banged on a neighbor’s door and told them to call the cops, before penning the strange message and placing it near her body.

“Even if I am gone I still love all of my daughters and my big mouth baby mother,” read the note, signed “Julius.”

But Brooklyn Assistant DA Samantha Magnani Tuesday said that when cops arrived in February 2005, Esquelin pretended he’d discovered the mother of his child dead on the couch, and had to be removed by officers after he kept trying to throw his body on top of hers.

The 36-year-old pleaded “not guilty” through defense attorney Jonathan Fink Tuesday to charges of second-degree murder, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and endangering the welfare of a child. Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Danny Chun ordered him held without bail.

Magnani noted Esquelin has priors for weapons possession and a federal conviction involving counterfeit bills. Authorities say he also had a history of abusing the victim.

Esquelin was initially investigated in Cofield’s slaying, but leads fizzled out and her case lay dormant until a cold case unit began re-investigating the crime in recent years.

During interviews with cops in April 2005, court papers show the accused killer denied having killed Cofield, instead saying some guys came to shoot him and decided to whack her instead.

“I told you guys, they came to kill me and they killed her,” he told police as he sat in Rikers Island on another case. “We were celebrating because I had just beat another charge.”

“I didn’t want to hurt her. I loved her,” he told police.

Esquelin faces 26 years to life behind bars if convicted. He’s due back in court Dec. 12.

“The victim in this case was a young mother of two little girls who was allegedly taken from them by this defendant,” Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement. “I’m pleased to announce today that following a thorough reinvestigation by the NYPD and my Cold Case Unit we are a step closer to obtaining justice for Desiree, as well as her family and friends.”

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.