Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 05-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Junior News Editor

Default Update: (W) Gay Couple Bashed With Chair at Chelsea Dallas BBQ by Groid

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2015...sea-dallas-bbq

VIDEO: Gay Couple Bashed With Chair at Chelsea Dallas BBQ
May 6, 2015 1:32pm

MANHATTAN — A gay couple was bashed over the head with a wooden chair, knocked to the ground and kicked by two men hurling anti-gay slurs at the Chelsea Dallas BBQ Tuesday night, in an attack captured on a graphic video, according to police and the victims.

"These guys attacked us specifically because they knew we weren't their type of people," said Jonathan Snipes, 32, who had a tooth knocked loose and cartilage snapped in his ear during the beating.

"It was disgusting. It was awful," Snipes, who was attacked alongside his boyfriend Ethan York-Adams, 25,
told DNAinfo New York.

[WARNING: This video contains graphic content]

York-Adams falls to the floor and Snipes slumps into a nearby chair, visibly dazed.

An NYPD spokesman said an investigation is ongoing, but that the incident was not currently being investigated as a hate crime.

The incident began at approximately 11 p.m. when the couple finished up their drinks at the restaurant at 261 Eighth Ave. where they had gone to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, Snipes said. The couple had been at XES Lounge earlier that night, but moved to Dallas BBQ in search of their cheap margaritas, Snipes said.

At the restaurant, Snipes got a text about a death in his family and needed to leave the restaurant quickly, he said. As he headed out, he accidentally knocked over a drink, he said.

"A table near us audibly started making pretty gross comments about the two of us like, 'White f----ts, spilling drinks,'" Snipes said.

"I don't let anyone talk to me like that. I went over there and asked, 'What did you say about us?'" he added.

Snipes said he's 140 pounds, never thrown a punch in his life and felt he posed no physical threat to anyone at the table, especially the two large men there — one of whom stood about 6 feet 4 inches, according to police.

"I may be a mouthy broad, but I wasn't going to take it to that level," Snipes said.

One of the men stood up and escalated the verbal confrontation, Snipes said.

"He turned it into a physical altercation very quickly," he added.

The man knocked Snipes to the ground and started kicking his face and spine, knocking loose one of his teeth, snapping the cartilage in his ear and bruising his head, he said.

He shouted, "Take that, f----t," according to Snipes.

Onlookers shouted "Stop! Stop! Stop!" according to a second video posted to YouTube by Isaam Sharef, who also took the Instagram video. He didn't respond to requests for comment.

"At some point, the guy stops kicking me in the face. He's won," Snipes said.

"[York-Adams] gets me up. But as he tried to get me away, that's when the other dude hits him with the chair," Snipes said.

York-Adams took the brunt of the hit and was knocked to the ground, but the chair also hit Snipes who then slumped into a nearby chair, visibly dazed.

An onlooker rushed up and took a cellphone photo of Snipes, video shows.

"They hit us hard and then they wouldn't stop. I was hobbling away and they came and attacked us again," Snipes added.

"We were just trying to get away from it," he added.

The attackers fled the scene as the couple awaited police and medical crews, police said. The attackers had not been arrested as of Wednesday morning, police said.

Dallas BBQ did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Watch !!!! Child, next to my table a fight in bbqs, and a man cracks a chair over someone's head and then runs out smh, as I waited on my chicken and shrimp combo and frozen apple tini #cincodemayo

A video posted by Awesomepeneur (@isaamsharef) on May 5, 2015 at 8:29pm PDT

In one video, York-Adams, 25, tries to shield Snipes by throwing his arm around his shoulder just before a man rushes up to them with a wooden chair and cracks it over their heads.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/05/...chelsea-fight/

Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: VIDEO: (W) Gay Couple Bashed With Chair at Chelsea Dallas BBQ by Groid

https://instagram.com/isaamsharef/

http://gothamist.com/2015/05/06/vide...bias_crime.php

Quote:
Police described the suspect as a black male around 35 years old. They add that the Hate Crime Task Force has been notified about the attack, but it's unclear whether it is being investigated as such yet.

Dallas BBQ has not responded to repeated requests for comment on the incident.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: VIDEO: (W) Gay Couple Bashed With Chair at Chelsea Dallas BBQ by Groid

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/05/...-bash-suspect/

Suspect In Chelsea Dallas BBQ Chair Bash Brawl Identified
May 19, 2015 2:54 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The NYPD believes they know the identity of the man caught on video smashing a chair over the heads of two men at a Dallas BBQ restaurant in Chelsea earlier this month.

Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce identified the suspect as Bayna El-Amin.

“He is a career criminal,” Boyce said. “We believe he has fled the state.”

The shocking incident took place at around 11 p.m. on May 5.

Boyce said the NYPD had identified El-Amin about a week ago.

Sources tell CBS2 El-Amin has 15 prior arrests including Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan and New Jersey. Most of the arrests are for assault and drug possession, sources said.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Junior News Editor

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/06/...attack-arrest/

Dallas BBQ Chair Bash Suspect Held On Bail After Surrendering
June 16, 2015 8:48 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The man wanted by police in connection with an assault in a Chelsea Dallas BBQ restaurant was ordered held on bail Tuesday night after turning himself in.

Bayna El-Amin surrendered with his attorney. He was arraigned in Manhattan Criminal Court Tuesday evening and ordered held on $75,000 bond, CBS2’s Valerie Castro reported.

The NYPD says El-Amin faces assault and attempted assault charges.

Bayna-Lehkiem El-Amin, 41, is arraigned in Manhattan Criminal court for his assault on 2 gay men on May 5 at the Dallas BBQ in Chelsea. His lawyer, Raol Zaltzberg is pictured on the left. (Pool)

Andre Paul, a friend of El-Amin’s said fear was the reason El-Amin took so long to surrender.

“the bottom line is, you know the brother — he was scared,” Paul said. “He was scared about what the media was going to demonize him as, and how things were taking place as it was snowballing; getting bigger and bigger.”

In court Tuesday, El-Amin’s attorney, Raol Zaltzberg, said his client is also very active in the LGBT community and is an advocate for gay rights,. He serves as an HIV counselor and a high school mentor, the attorney said.

El-Amin plans to press charges against Snipes and the man he was with, the attorney said. An order of protection has been issued, and El-Amin has been ordered to stay away from the two men.

El-Amin has 15 prior arrests in multiple states, including New York and New Jersey, Gainer reported. Police said those arrests were mostly for drug possession and assault.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Senior Editor

http://nypost.com/2016/05/18/it-was-...brutal-attack/

‘It was awful’: Chair-bashing victim details brutal attack
By Rebecca Rosenberg
May 18, 2016 | 7:04pm

Jurors Wednesday watched dramatic footage of a hulking 6-foot-6 defendant hurling a wooden chair at the heads of a gay couple inside a Chelsea eatery as the victim described from the stand his vicious beating.

Jonathan Snipes, 33, became teary-eyed and cringed as he watched the video of Bayna-Lekheim El-Amin, 42, chuck the chair at his head with such force it made a thunderous noise.

Ethan York-Adams and his boyfriend, Jonathan Snipes.

“The next thing I know is, bam! And we’re hit with this chair,” he said at his assailant’s assault trial in Manhattan Supreme Court.

Patrons can be heard shrieking as Snipes is flung into a chair and his boyfriend Ethan Adams crumples unconscious onto the floor of Dallas BBQ.

“It was awful,” he said. “The sound of the chair, people screaming ‘Stop!’ It was a hard moment.”

The trouble started only a few minutes earlier. Snipes had already tossed back four drinks when he and his boyfriend strolled into Dallas BBQ and ordered two fish bowl margaritas.

Snipes got a phone message that his uncle was sick and became distraught, knocking over his drink.

That’s when he heard someone from a nearby table mutter “a white fagg-t spilling drinks” and believed it was El-Amin, he said.

An infuriated Snipes marched to El-Amin’s table. “What did you just say?” he angrily demanded.

“I was forceful, I was angry, I was definitely intoxicated, but I wanted to know why they thought they could say these things.”

Then, in the video, Snipes fully extends his arm behind his head and smacks El-Amin in the face with his H&M purse.

El-Amin, who is also gay, swiftly leaps from his chair in the video and pounces on Snipes, knocking him to the ground.

Snipes said the towering defendant then kicked and repeatedly stomped on his head as he called him a “f—got!”

“I was shocked,” he said. “I had never been attacked my entire life and he was just so much larger than me.”

After the adversaries were separated and as Snipes examined his bleeding ear and a loose tooth, a fuming El-Amin snuck up behind the men, picked up the chair, crashed it over their heads and fled.

Bayna-Lekheim El- Amin
Photo: William Miller

On cross, Snipes admitted he didn’t know whether El-Amin or one of his dining pals called him the racial slur.

“There was only one table, it had to have come from that table,” he said. “Do I specifically know who said it? No.”

The video also shows that after the initial tussle, El-Amin walks away and Snipes pursues him, yelling.

Snipes insisted that he was backing up in the video even though he is clearly seen advancing.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.