Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Junior News Editor

Default Chilluns new to Toronto caught on camera experiencing first snowfall

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/children-...fall-1.4173895

Children new to Toronto caught on camera experiencing first snowfall

Last Updated Monday, November 12, 2018 3:45PM EST

The phrase “first snowfall” usually incites groans in Canada, but video of two children, new refugees to this country, delightfully dancing and playing as flurries fall has many people expressing glee.

The video, which has since gone viral, was posted to both Twitter and Facebook by the family’s sponsor.

In the video, the children are seen jumping around in a backyard as snow falls from the sky. They are both wearing boots and winter jackets.

Delightful! I remember a 6-yr. old girl from Barbados, her first winter. Late 1 afternoon, she called out, “Dey teefed (thieved) it!” She had made her first snowball. I asked where she had put it. “In my pocket!” she wailed. She didn’t understand why her coat was wet. ❄️
— Claire (@JemmsCee2) November 12, 2018

The children and their mother are refugees from Eritrea in Africa and recent arrivals in Toronto, according to Rebecca Davies, the family’s sponsor.

“The family of five is living temporarily with me until we can get them on their feet,” Davies said on social media.

Davies works with Ripple Refugee Project, a Toronto-based private citizens group that sponsors and helps settle newcomers to Canada.

https://twitter.com/RebsD