Notices

Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Senior Editor

Default Re: Montgomery County To Issue Marriage Licenses To Same Sex Couples

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-wedding-date/

23 Couples Want Their Pa. Same-Sex Marriages Certified By Changing Wedding Date
September 30, 2014 12:14 PM
By Cherri Gregg

HARRISBURG, Pa. (CBS) — Nearly two dozen same-sex couples who obtained marriage licenses in Montgomery County before Pennsylvania’s gay marriage ban was overturned have filed a proposed court settlement that would allow their marriages to be recognized by the state.

The proposed settlement would essentially move the anniversary date for the twenty-three couples still part of the case to May 20, 2014 — the same date a federal court found Pennsylvania’s ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional.

“The Montgomery County register of wills would be requested to forward-date their documents to indicate their marriages are as of May 20th,” explains David S. Cohen, a Drexel University law professor who represents the plaintiffs.

He wouldn’t go into details about why that settlement was requested, but it would move the wedding dates to a time when Pennsylvania law no longer made them illegal.

Montgomery County register of wills Bruce Hanes is not a party to the case, but says he’s willing to comply if the judge approves the agreement.

“I’m perfectly happy with that — I support it 100 percent,” he said.

As for the dozens of other couples who are not included in the settlement, lawyers for the plaintiffs say those people will have to seek out their own attorneys and petition the court separately to have their marriages recognized.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Senior Editor

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...310102261.html

Gay Marriage Ruling Gratifying for MontCo Official Who Issued 1st Marriage License
By Karen Araiza
Updated at 12:45 AM EDT on Saturday, Jun 27, 2015

The historic gay marriage ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court brought a sense of gratification Friday morning to the man who made history in Pennsylvania when he issued the commonwealth’s first marriage license for gay couples.

'This is a great decision. This is great for America, great for marriage, great for families,” said D. Bruce Hanes, Register of Wills for Montgomery County.

Hanes kicked up controversy on July 24, 2013 when he began issuing marriage licenses to same sex couples, saying all couples enjoyed equal protection and due process – not under the federal constitution, but under the state’s constitution. That tipped off a fight between the state and the county and then advocates on both sides of the issue. Hanes was court-ordered at one point to stop issuing licenses and then exonerated nearly a year later when a federal judge struck down Pennsylvania’s ban on marriage for same-sex couples.

“I’m very happy with the way it came out,” Hanes said about the U.S. Supreme Court ruling. “It’s all part of a process of bringing everybody into the community.”

Hanes was already reading the decision when we reached him minutes after Friday’s ruling was handed down. “I’m looking forward to reading the dissenting opinion,” he said, adding that for him it’s not at all a sense of feeling vindicated. “I don’t feel by doing the right thing, I could do anything other than what I did. If it had gone the other way, I suppose I might feel different.”

Montgomery County has granted 551 licenses for same-sex marriages through May 31, 2015 -- 345 to women and 206 to male couples.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Senior Editor

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...iversary-date/

Same-Sex Couples Who Got Married On Licenses Issued In Montco Before Ban Was Struck Down Can Keep Anniversary Date
December 2, 2015 2:19 PM
By Jim Melwert

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (CBS) — Dozens of couples in Montgomery County who got married before a federal court overturned the state’s ban on same sex marriage will be allowed to keep their original anniversary dates.

In question, same sex marriages performed on licenses that were issued in Montgomery County before the state’s ban on gay marriage was struck down.

In July, 2013, Montgomery County register of wills D. Bruce Hanes’ office issued 174 marriage licenses before a court order told the office to stop. Then, in May 2014, the federal court ruling that declared the ban unconstitutional.

But there was one loose end: The Pennsylvania department of health claimed the marriages in question weren’t valid until the date of the court ruling, May 20, 2014.

Hanes disagreed. “If this is right that has existed, and those two laws are unconstitutional, then the valid date would be the date that the marriage ceremony occurred.”

That loose end tied up as the department of health says it won’t challenge using the dates of the ceremonies.