NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 07:14 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Lamar, SC negress mayor ooks cars sprayed w/ “yellow, sticky substance” wuz hate crime;It wuz pollen

https://wpde.com/news/local/lamar-ma...red-hate-crime

Lamar mayor's cars vandalized, may be considered hate crime

Darlington County, SC (WPDE) —

Lamar Mayor Darnell Byrd-McPherson said someone came onto her property Wednesday night and vandalized her cars.

She released the following statement on the incident:

"The incident happened last night. Even though I drove my car today, I thought it was pollen. My husband and our neighbor noticed the cars looked like someone had spray painted on both our vehicles, which were parked in our front yard.

As an aside, during the 70s, crosses were burned in the yard of our home when my Mother was involved with the civil rights movement. On this very same corner in this very same front yard!

Again, we are grateful the person or persons did not try to take our lives but the culprits will be identified and prosecuted.

Love conquers hate and my husband and I refuse to be intimidated by those who perpetrated this act of vandalism which I classify as an act of hatred. "

https://www.newsweek.com/darnell-byr...-spray-1349289

S.C. Mayor Says ‘Yellow Sticky Substance’ on Her Car Was Sprayed by Vandals, Police Say It’s Just Pollen

On 3/1/19 at 4:07 PM

“Darnell, there’s something on your car,” she remembered him saying. “They started rubbing it, and it was this yellow, sticky substance. So it was like, What is this?”

She said her husband and the neighbor “started scraping all over” their cars to rid what she described as a “grainy substance” akin to industrial spray foam used to patch concrete.

“It looked like little pebbles,”
she added.

Setting in was the deafening fear of an attack.

Both cars were rigorously cleaned the day after the incident, and therefore a sample of the substance, whatever it was, wasn’t preserved.

“The substance wasn’t saved and the cars were actually cleaned—pressure-washed twice—there was no substance, and so they didn’t have it for the investigation,” argued McPherson.

Darlington County Sheriff’s Office Lieutenant Robby Kilgo explained that an investigation was opened to determine what the substance was on both cars.

“We found it to be pollen,” Kilgo explained in an interview with Newsweek. “There was no reason for us to collect a sample.”

The report that was taken included details of an examination by two sheriff's officials (a sergeant and a deputy) "immediately came to the conclusion that the substance had a yellowish tint to it and that it's a type of powder similar to pollen."