Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED

Notices

Old 09-27-2020, 04:20 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Affluent San Clemente, CA roiled by kwops liquidating nestless nignog

https://news.yahoo.com/affluent-oran...031151663.html

Affluent Orange County town roiled by police killing of Black homeless man
September 25, 2020

Big questions loomed Friday over the death of Kurt Andras Reinhold, who was fatally shot by Orange County sheriff’s deputies in the beachfront town of San Clemente.

How did this well-educated, churchgoing Black man, who coached youth soccer and had two children of his own, end up living on the streets of south Orange County? What pushed him into mental illness and homelessness? Why did two deputies, part of a specialized detail to help people who are homeless, confront him Wednesday?

That issue is underscored in the circumstances of Reinhold's death, which was captured on a cellphone video.

The recording shows two deputies — who have been trained in techniques used to de-escalate dangerous situations — confronting Reinhold at about 1:15 p.m. Wednesday in the middle of El Camino Real, not far from Hotel Miramar.

The deputies tell Reinhold he is walking in the middle of the street.

"Stop touching me," Reinhold tells them repeatedly."Go sit down," one deputy tells him. But the agitated man ignores him and tries to walk past them. The deputies wrestle him to the ground. Reinhold wriggles as they try to restrain his arms.

Then a voice shouts: "He's got my gun! He's got my gun!"

Two shots ring out. There is not enough detail in the video to tell whether Reinhold grabbed the weapon. Orange County sheriff's deputies do not wear body cameras.

https://www.facebook.com/localstoryt...YjTU4WgHOctaF0

According to witnesses, the suspect was walking in the middle of the street & obstructing traffic. Orange County Deputies w/ the Homeless Task Force made contact asking the suspect to move to the curb. Suspect was non-compliant & a physical altercation ensued (verified by surveilance video according to Sgt. Dennis Breckner/OCSD) - "It appears the male attempted to get control of the deputy's weapon and shortly after that the deputy involved shooting occured." A witness says he heard a deputy shout, “He’s got my gun!” Moments later, 2 gunshots were fired. Deputies began life saving measures and the suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. The deceased is a male black adult. Source: Orange County Sheriff's Department, CA
-----
The witness/videographer has asked not to be identified.
Wednesday 9/23/20