NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum  

Go Back   NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum > RSS FEED


Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2019, 07:26 AM
The Bobster's Avatar
The Bobster The Bobster is offline
Senior Editor
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 69,130
Default Controversal Philly DA Larry Krasner negotiated a “phony baloney” sentence with black gunman


WATCH: Suspect Released From Hospital After Shooting 6 Philadelphia Police Officers In Hours-Long Standoff; Lawyer Identifies Suspect As 36-Year-Old Maurice Hill
By CBS3 Staff
August 15, 2019 at 9:55 am

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A gunman was taken into custody after he allegedly shot six Philadelphia police officers in the city’s Nicetown-Tioga section on Wednesday. The suspect surrendered to police shortly after midnight, following more than a seven-hour standoff. Eyewitness News is told 36-year-old Maurice Hill is the suspected shooter, according to his lawyer Shaka Johnson.

Johnson says Hill was not injured in the shootout. However, Hill was taken to the hospital for a checkup and released around 3 a.m. Eyewitness News was there as officers escorted him out.

Although police have not officially identified Hill as the suspect, a source has sent Eyewitness News his prior mugshot.

Credit: Philadelphia Police

His lawyer tells CBS3 Hill called him to the scene of the standoff while he was barricaded inside.

“Maurice called me in a panic, obviously. He did not want this to end violently and he really was sort of taking an opportunity to speak his peace. I told him, ‘You gotta surrender, man,'” Johnson told CBS3’s Greg Argos.

Johnson says he first received a call from Hill around 8:30 p.m., hours after the shooting broke out and the officers were shot.

Charges have yet to be announced.

All six police officers were released from the hospital Wednesday night. A seventh officer, who was injured in a car crash while responding to the scene on the 3700 block of North 15th Street, remains in the hospital. That officer’s condition is not known.

It all started around 4:30 p.m. when police were serving a narcotics warrant when the suspect opened fire. Johnson says he does not know at this time if Hill was the target of that warrant.

As police exchanged gunfire inside the house, officers escaped through windows and doors. Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross added that it was a miracle officers weren’t killed during the incident.

CBS3 reports 30 officers discharged their weapons during the shootout. Volleys of gunfire erupted throughout the evening as the gunman continued to fire at police.

“Let’s be clear, the police did an awesome job today. They were very patient, this had been going on for hours,” Johnson said. “Commissioner Ross could have pushed a button long before he did, quite frankly. So I want to give credit to the police for having some sort of patience with all of this … This could have gone very badly earlier in the day.”

Sources tell CBS3 the suspect was live-streaming some of the shootout while he barricaded himself inside the home. However, Hill’s lawyer disputes those claims.

Two officers, who were trapped on the second floor of the residence, were released, along with three hostages, while police say the gunman remained on the first floor.

Additionally, two women and two children were escorted by SWAT and Philadelphia Police from the scene. They told CBS3 that they were inside the home on the second floor at the time of the shootout and that police saved them.

‘They Don’t Deserve To Be Shot At’: Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney Gives Plea For Gun Control After 6 Police Officers Shot

Chopper 3 was over the scene where earlier in the day, police could be seen taking another suspect into custody. It’s not clear what his role was in the incident.

Temple University issued a lockdown as the situation developed and children at two nearby day care centers were moved to safe locations.

The shooting and massive police presence shut down large portions of North Philadelphia and disrupted SEPTA routes.

Police activity in the area has Erie Avenue closed between Broad Street and Hunting Park Avenue on Thursday morning. Broad Street, between Hunting Park Avenue and Allegheny Avenue, has since reopened.

SEPTA says the Broad Street Line service has resumed but bus routes 23, 53, 56, H and HX will remain detoured until further notice.
Those who find the truth hateful just hate hearing the truth.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.