Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Senior Editor

Default Biggie’s Block: Notorious B.I.G. gets his own street in Brooklyn

https://nypost.com/2019/06/10/biggie...t-in-brooklyn/

Biggie’s Block: Notorious B.I.G. gets his own street in Brooklyn
By Max Jaeger
June 10, 2019 | 4:37pm

The new Christopher "Notorious B.I.G" Wallace Way in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. Reuters

It was all a dream — until now.

Hip-hop luminaries and Bedford-Stuyvesant locals celebrated the long-awaited co-naming of a street for slain Brooklyn-native cRapper Christopher “Notorious B.I.G.” Wallace Way” on Monday.

“I always knew this day was gonna come,” said Grammy Award-winning rapper Lil Kim, who was discovered by the rapper in 1994. “I used to dream about a street being named after Biggie, because it was only right.”

Officials dubbed the corner of St. James Place and Fulton Street “Christopher Wallace Way” following a controversial, years-long push by local activists to get the designation.

Biggie, who was gunned down in a still-unsolved 1997 drive-by murder in Los Angeles, grew up steps away at 226 St. James Place.

Fans first proposed the co-naming in 2013, but it was shot down by members of the local community board who argued that the heavy-set, foul-mouthed lyricist was a bad role model for area youth.

City Council finally approved the co-naming last fall — a victory for the rapidly gentrifying neighborhood, according to local City Councilwoman Laurie Cumbo.

Gentrifiers “want to erase the history, they want to put up new cafes and boutiques and push us out of our community. That’s why this sign is important today — so that the history of this place is told to our children and our children’s children,” she said.

Lil’ Kim speaking at Notorious B.I.G.’s street naming ceremony in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn.Reuters

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.....on a nigger.

If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target.