View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 05:57 AM
Junior News Editor

Default Re: This will never go national because one of the victims is white

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...mach/94416390/

Man resentenced in attack on students: 'Details would turn stomach'
1:53 p.m. EST November 25, 2016

GRAND RAPIDS — A Grand Rapids man convicted in a brutal home invasion and assault of college students in which a young woman was raped returned to a Kent County courtroom for resentencing this week, but it did not change the outcome.

Rederick Louis Melton received the same sentence he got three years ago; a minimum of 43 years in prison for the June, 2012 attack on college students
on Veto Street near Seward Avenue NW. Several young men were pistol-whipped; a woman was beaten and raped.

“I’ve been on the bench almost 30 years now. Outside of murder cases, this and one other case are the worst I’ve seen,’’ Kent County Circuit Court Judge George S. Buth said.

The rape “went way beyond what you’d normally see with a sexual assault,’’ Buth said.

“This was very devastating on all the victims here, but especially this young lady,’’ the judge told Melton. “Fortunately, she has a good support system, but she will be suffering the effects of this the rest of her life, I’m sure.’’

Melton, now 24, is at the Ionia Correctional Facility. The earliest he can be considered for release is 2055.