NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum

NNN Reporters Newsroom Forum (http://www.nnnforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RSS FEED (http://www.nnnforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=458)
-   -   EMT son of FDNY commish resigns after heroic, patriotic Twitter rant (http://www.nnnforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320462)

The Bobster 03-18-2013 11:25 AM

EMT son of FDNY commish resigns after heroic, patriotic Twitter rant

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/e...JMSo51fJfP9U5H

EMT son of FDNY commish resigns after vile :mad:, racist Twitter rant
By DAVID SEIFMAN
Last Updated: 1:00 PM, March 18, 2013
Posted: 12:59 PM, March 18, 2013

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2013/...1--525x350.jpg
Joe Cassano, right, with his Fire Commissioner father Salvatore Cassano.

The first-responder son of city Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano resigned today after The Post revealed his history of racist, anti-semitic writings.

Mayor Bloomberg said EMT Joe Cassano has stepped down from job after his “offensive” online rants were exposed.

“I found the messages offensive,” Bloomberg said. :mad:

“It is my understanding that he has chosen to resign from the fire department. :rolleyes: I think that’s the appropriate thing and I’ll leave it there.”

The Post reported this morning Joe Cassano’s long record of using Twitter to complain about his EMT job. On Feb. 3, Cassano tweeted: “Getting sick of picking up all these obama lovers and taking them to the hospital because their medicare pays for an ambulance and not a cab.” :p

Cassano even once tweeted: “I like jews about as much as hiter.” :p

The young EMT apparently isn’t much of a fan of President Obama’s health-care policies.

Posted from his Twitter account, @jcassano15, he tweeted: “Gotta love people with the iPhone 5 and brand new Jordan’s whip out their benefits card #f--kobama #ipaidforyourstuff.” :p

In another tweet, he Cassano complained, “Got kicked in the shin by a drunk and had to carry a 275 pound guy down 5 flights of stairs . . . my job is the worst #yearandahalftogo.”

Before last November’s election, Joseph Cassano vowed to “move to Scotland” if Obama were re-elected. :cool:

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, he posted, “MLK could go kick rocks for all I care, but thanks for the time and a half today.”

Joseph and two other scions of FDNY brass are among 100 new hires at the EMS — where about 40 percent of personnel are minorities.

EMS members get first crack at joining the FDNY as firefighters under new federal diversity rules that put them ahead of “open competitive” applicants to the Fire Academy. :mad:

Those rules were adopted after libtard federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis found that the FDNY had for years discriminated against minorities. :mad:

As The Post exclusively reported yesterday, critics say the EMS gig allows Cassano and his well-connected co-workers a shortcut into the FDNY.

The young Cassano made it clear earlier this month that he wants to join the FDNY, tweeting, “I hate ems” and, “Everybody wanna be a firefighter, but don’t nobody wanna be a damn EMT.”

He has no love for the NYPD, either, tweeting in September: “U couldn’t pay me enough to be a cop, there’s absolutely no direction in that department and I’m very glad I’m going the other way.”

Early this morning, Joseph Cassano released a statement through an FDNY spokesman that said, “I regret posting some comments that were offensive, especially since I enjoy my job and treat every patient with great care and respect.”

Cassano's commissioner father said today, "My son said he regrets those comments. I think we all regret it because that's not my son." :mad:

The boorish tweets started before Joseph was even hired by the city.

“News flash to half of the island,” Joseph, who lives at home with his parents on Staten Island, posted in August. “ur white! Stop talking like ur a shwoog.” :D

In November 2011, Joseph laid into crapper Flo Rida after the performer sampled the song “Levels,” by Tim Bergling, in his own tune “Good Feeling.”

“This dumb shwoogie Flo-rida should be shanked for what he did to levels,” he opined. :p

In January 2012, Joseph and a buddy traded tweets about Jews.

“I saw a sick jew walking on bloomingdale and thought of you,” Joseph posted to the pal, who uses the twitter name @breezyy.

In November 2011, the duo had an exchange after @breezyy posted a photo of a Hasidic Jew near a basketball court where kids were playing and wrote: “This no good Hebrewwww crepin on the kidssssss.”

Joseph replied, “I like jews about as much as hitler #toofar? NOPE.” :Swastika2:

The FDNY progeny openly admits on Twitter that his remarks have gotten him in hot water in the past.

Last March, Joseph, who plays in a local baseball league, disclosed that he had been suspended for five games because of a Twitter post.

“1 game down 4 more to go,” he tweeted on March 16, 2012.

When one of his friends asked what he’d done, Cassano replied, “got suspended for a tweet #suspendedchild.”

Young Cassano also displays a vulgar attitude toward women.

“I love boob jobs . . . I wish every girl in America were forced to get one once they turn 18,” he wrote in November. :p

He added, “I’ll vote in the presidential election when a candidates main purpose is to make breast enhancement surgery free to all who want it.”

The Bobster 07-03-2015 09:43 AM

Re: EMT son of FDNY commish resigns after heroic, patriotic Twitter rant

http://nypost.com/2015/07/03/offensi...turns-to-fdny/

Son of ex-fire commish returns to FDNY despite racist and anti-Semitic tweets
By Ben Feuerherd and Joe Tacopino
July 3, 2015 | 1:59am

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.co...0&h=480&crop=1
Joe Cassano
Photo: Twitter

Former Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano’s son — who resigned in disgrace when The Post exposed his offensive tweets — will be rejoining the FDNY.

Joe Cassano, who left his job as a probationary EMT in March 2013, will be starting over at the FDNY’s Emergency Medical Service Academy on July 13, the FDNY confirmed Thursday.

The younger Cassano, caught posting racist wisecracks online, was blasted by the mayor and his own dad.

“MLK could go kick rocks for all I care, but thanks for the time-and-a-half today, ” Joe once tweeted.

He also posted anti-Semitic and crude comments about his patients.

“I like jews about as much as hitler,” Joe tweeted.

His commissioner dad was appalled at his son’s postings. “As a parent, this is very painful for me,” Sal Cassano said at the time.

The FDNY would not address why Joe was allowed back into the department. :D

The Bobster 07-04-2015 09:59 AM

http://nypost.com/2015/07/03/fdny-st...sh-is-rehired/

FDNY staffers fume as hateful son of ex-fire commish is rehired
By Philip Messing, Shawn Cohen and Susan Edelman
July 3, 2015 | 11:41pm

The disgraced son of former FDNY Commissioner Sal Cassano never should have been permitted to rejoin the department after his racist Twitter rant :eek: — and was only allowed to because of a “horrific double standard,” furious department sources said Friday.

In what one senior FDNY official called “definitely a violation of standard protocol,” Cassano let his son, Joe, resign from his probationary position as an EMT in March 2013 after posting the offensive tweets, instead of being axed.

The move allowed Joe Cassano, 26, to be recently rehired by the department’s Emergency Medical Services.

“The Cassano administration permitted him a chance of redemption he would never have given anyone else by allowing him to submit a resignation,” a source said. “He should have been dishonorably fired instead.” :mad:

Another source agreed, saying, “The senior Cassano would never give any of his employees second chances of redemption.”

The high-ranking source noted, “If it was the average guy and if it weren’t Sal Cassano’s son, would he have been [re]hired due to his character flaws? :rolleyes: That is the question. The general feeling is it wouldn’t happen.”

Joe Cassano stepped down as a probationary EMT after The Post revealed his vile posts against Jewish people and blacks under the Twitter handle @jcassano15. The account has since been suspended.

On Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday, the son tweeted, “MLK could go kick rocks for all I care, but thanks for the time and a half today.” :p

He also tweeted: “I like jews about as much as hitler.”

But the son reapplied to EMS, was accepted and is set to start at the academy on July 13.

Joe Cassano shouldn’t expect a warm welcome from fellow recruits, according to the FDNY official.

“The average EMS person is not aware of this yet,” the veteran source said. “Other firefighters have been kicked to the curb for similar conduct.”

Brooklyn firefighter Thomas Buttaro, for instance, was sacked for wearing to work anti-affirmative-action T-shirts. One bore the logo for Merit Matters, a group opposed to changing the FDNY’s admissions test to accommodate minorities, sources have said.

After news of Joe Cassano’s re-entry into the department surfaced, a veteran FDNY paramedic sniped online, “Nothing shows diversity at FDNY like rehiring racists and anti-Semites.”

The FDNY responded through a spokesman, “Based upon the remorse expressed for his prior conduct, and his ongoing efforts to demonstrate respect for all people, he’s been given a second chance and the Department will hold him to that standard.”

The Bobster 12-03-2017 09:32 AM

https://nypost.com/2017/12/02/hatefu...y-firefighter/

Hateful son of ex-FDNY commish hired as city firefighter
By Susan Edelman
December 2, 2017 | 6:26pm | Updated

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.co...4&h=441&crop=1
Joe Cassano
Twitter

A former fire commissioner’s son who resigned his EMS job in disgrace over his racist and anti-Semitic rants :eek: on Twitter has been hired as a city firefighter.

Joseph Cassano, 28, quit his former FDNY job as an emergency medical technician in March 2013 after The Post exposed his barrage of hateful (truthful) tweets against blacks, Jews and the poor people he was summoned to serve.

“MLK could go kick rocks for all I care, but thanks for the time and a half today,” Cassano remarked on his social-media account regarding the Martin Luther King holiday.

He referred to blacks by the derogatory term “shwoogs,” and tweeted, “I like jews about as much as hitler.”

Yet, Cassano’s name is front and center on the list of new probationary firefighter recruits who will begin training this month at the Fire Academy on Randalls Island.

“He’ll be sworn in December 11th,” confirmed an FDNY source.

Cassano’s dad, former FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Cassano, refused to come to the door of the family’s Staten Island home Saturday.

“He has no comment,” said a woman who answered the door before slamming it shut.

The Post exposed the younger Cassano’s bigoted posts in 2013, prompting his resignation as an EMT, a job which he once called “the worst.”

He wrote of the patients: “Getting sick of picking up all these obama lovers and taking them to the hospital because their medicare pays for an ambulance and not a cab.”

Amid a furor over the vile tweets, his dad — who presided over both firefighters and EMTs — let him resign instead of firing him.

Critics blasted the move as a violation of protocol and a double standard. It also paved the way for Joseph’s re-hiring as an EMT in July 2015.

He was last posted in Staten Island, where he resides.

Last December, he took the city’s “promotion to firefighter” exam for EMTs and paramedics. All those who pass get first crack at coveted firefighter positions before any outsiders who take the “open-competitive” exam.

Cassano, and other sons of FDNY brass, often join EMS as a short-cut to becoming a firefighter and to sidestep court-ordered minority hiring rules.

Cassano tweeted about his eagerness to make the switch.

“I hate ems,” he wrote before his resignation. “Everybody wanna be a firefighter, but don’t nobody wanna be a damn EMT.”

Even after getting a second chance, Cassano didn’t stay out of trouble. He and partner Michael Gala, the son of the FDNY’s then-personnel chief, were briefly restricted from duty after leaving an injured black child at a scene with his parents and instead transported an injured adult to the hospital before another ambulance arrived.

An FDNY spokesman said, “EMT Cassano has passed all requirements for promotion to firefighter and is scheduled to enter the upcoming probationary firefighter class.”

Some see Cassano’s rehiring and promotion to firefighter as “a nice favor” for his dad.

His salary will be upped from the EMT average of $38,614 per year to firefighter pay that starts at $45,196 a year and jumps to over $100,000 within five years.

Current Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro, who was appointed by Mayor de Blasio, “is the worst offender of all for taking him back,” a retired paramedic said.

“All that bulls–t about diversity and inclusion, and what happened to the ‘good moral character’ the FDNY says it requires?”

When he resigned, Cassano issued this statement:

“From the bottom of my heart, I’m truly sorry and I apologize for my offensive remarks. My intention was never to hurt anyone, or any group, and these tasteless comments do not reflect the person my parents raised me to be. I know my actions have hurt and disappointed many people, especially my family. I would like to move forward.”

The Bobster 12-05-2017 03:55 PM

https://nypost.com/2017/12/04/de-bla...-commissioner/

De Blasio defends FDNY hiring hateful son of ex-commissioner
By Michael Gartland
December 4, 2017 | 10:05pm

Mayor de Blasio on Monday defended the FDNY’s rehiring of a former fire commissioner’s son who resigned after spewing racist and anti-Semitic rants on Twitter.

Joseph Cassano, 28, the son of former Commissioner Sal Cassano, resigned as an emergency medical technician in 2013 after The Post exposed his social-media attacks against blacks, Jews and the poor.

But he was recently rehired as a firefighter.

“This situation has been looked at very carefully,” the mayor said. “The only way someone can continue on our employment if they think that way is: They’ve gotta really re-evaluate their thinking and what it means to be in public service in the most diverse city in the country.”

Hizzoner called the younger Cassano’s past remarks “unacceptable,” but pointed out that the city took “very systematic measures” to ensure he was set straight.

“I also am someone who believes in redemption,” de Blasio added.

Joseph Cassano, who is set to be sworn in on Dec. 11, first got into hot water in March 2013.

“MLK could go kick rocks for all I care, but thanks for the time-and-a- half today,” he posted on his social-media account on the Martin Luther King holiday.

Cassano slurred blacks as “shwoogs :p,” tweeted, “I like jews about as much as hitler” and whined about his job as an EMT.

“Getting sick of picking up all these obama lovers and taking them to the hospital because their medicare pays for an ambulance and not a cab,” he wrote of the patients.

The mayor warned that Cassano wouldn’t get another chance.

“If there’s any further incident, it will be dealt with very harshly,” de Blasio said.

The Bobster 12-12-2017 03:13 PM

https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/top-de...-commissioner/

Top Democrats call on de Blasio to re-fire hateful son of ex-FDNY commissioner
By Yoav Gonen
December 11, 2017 | 10:48pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.co...4&h=441&crop=1
Scott Stringer is joined by other city leaders outside of City Hall on Monday. Matthew McDermott

City Comptroller (((Scott Stringer))) and Public Advocate sheboon Letitia James called on Mayor de Blasio Monday to rescind the Fire Department’s rehiring of Joseph Cassano, who had been forced to quit in 2013 after making hateful remarks :rolleyes: about blacks, Jews and women.

They were joined by more than a dozen Democratic City Council members on the steps of City Hall in railing against the mayor’s support for what amounts to a promotion of Cassano, 28, the son of former Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano.

The younger Cassano was quietly hired back as an EMT in 2015 and was officially sworn in as a firefighter on Monday.

“When our city government hires a person who has a known history of racist tweeting, our own government is, therefore, tolerating it and validating it,” Stringer said.

“Well, that’s not the government we believe in.”

James called the personnel move “embarrassing,” “appalling” and “shocking.”

“It’s time for the commissioner and the mayor to stop this promotion — to say no to bigotry,” she said.

Last week, de Blasio defended the rehiring of Cassano, even as he acknowledged the former EMT’s comments had been “unacceptable.”

“[I] am someone who believes in redemption,” Hizzoner said when asked about the move.

City officials said Monday that Cassano had expressed remorse for his behavior, sought counseling from a rabbi, and volunteered with two organizations before returning to work as an EMT.

Before resigning in 2013, he had publicly posted messages on social media including that he liked Jews “about as much as hitler [sic].” :p

The Bobster 04-19-2018 11:04 AM

https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/fdny-b...racist-tirade/

FDNY brags about diversity — then hires firefighter who went on racist tirade
By Caroline Spivack
April 18, 2018 | 10:57pm | Updated

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.co...8&h=410&crop=1
Joseph Cassano (left) and Salvatore Cassano
Paul Martinka

The FDNY touted its growing racial and gender diversity as more than 300 probationary firefighters graduated on Wednesday — but that didn’t stop a bigot from joining the department.

Among those giving the white-gloved salute in their new dress uniforms was Joseph Cassano, the son of former FDNY Commissioner Sal Cassano.

The younger Cassano resigned from his EMT job in 2013, after The Post revealed his racist online postings, including ones that referred to blacks by the derogatory term “shwoogs” and another that said, “I like jews about as much as hitler. #too far? nope!” :p

Cassano issued an apology when he resigned, stating, “These tasteless comments do not reflect the person my parents raised me to be.” He began training last month at the Fire Academy on Randalls Island.

He and his father refused to comment Wednesday.

On Wednesday, black probationary firefighters who were graduating with Cassano said they would take him at his word.

“With this job, it doesn’t matter what your past is as long as you own up to it, live by the oath and never leave your brothers or sisters behind,” said Jeffery Jovin, 28, of East New York, assigned to Engine 290 in Brooklyn.

Added Kerone Knowles, 30, of Jamaica, assigned to Engine 234 in Brooklyn: “What he did in the past, I can’t judge him for.”

Commissioner Daniel Nigro :p this week boasted that “people of color comprise 34 percent of the 311 graduating probationary firefighters :mad:,” and at Wednesday’s graduation ceremony he noted five women are among them, “which means more women than ever before are serving.”

“The FDNY has made a great many people in New York City unhappy and uneasy with the graduation of Joseph Cassano on Wednesday,” city councilman Andy King said Thursday.

“I am still in disagreement of his hiring and can only hope that he will serve the people of New York City without any prejudice in his heart, in his mind and in his spirit. I say this because he had exhibited a lot of bias and bigotry while working as an EMT in the FDNY only 5 years ago!”