PDA

View Full Version : Black Kidnappers Sent Photo Of Camden City Council President’s Grandson Tied Up, Demanding Money

The Bobster
07-03-2019, 10:41 AM
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/03/kidnappers-sent-photo-of-camden-city-council-presidents-grandson-tied-up-demanding-money-prior-to-murder-father-says/

Kidnappers Sent Photo Of Camden City Council President’s Grandson Tied Up, Demanding Money Prior To Murder, Father Says
By Trang Do
July 3, 2019 at 11:41 am

https://cbsphilly.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/curtis-jenkins.png?w=640&h=360&crop=1

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) – A tragic end in the search for the grandson of Camden’s City Council President. Police say Curtis Jenkins III was abducted and killed. His father, Curtis Jenkins Jr., was being comforted by a friend outside of a garage on the 1100 block of Liberty Street where Camden County Police discovered his son Curtis Jenkins III’s body on Tuesday night.

His death has been ruled a homicide.

“It’s not real to me. That’s what’s going through my head,” Jenkins Jr. said.

Jenkins Jr. says his son was last seen on the 2700 block of Congress Road when he got an order for a food platter late on Sunday night.

When he went to deliver it, he disappeared.

“He cooks and sells food,” Jenkins Jr. explained. “It was a setup. Someone gave him a false address.”

Jenkins Jr. immediately reported his son missing early on Monday morning.

Missing Grandson Of Camden City Council President Found Dead

He says he received a call from the alleged kidnappers who sent him a photo of his son tied up and demanded a ransom.

“It’s hard to speak right now because like I said, my son is not into this. I’ve been out here all of my life. Not my son, my son ain’t into this, my son work at City Hall,” Jenkins Jr. said.

Prior to finding the 20-year-old’s body, police announced that 32-year-old Brandon Beverly, of Westville, was charged with kidnapping and aggravated assault in connection with the disappearance.

Chief Scott Thomson called it, “calculated plot to entrap and abduct the victim.”

Jenkins Jr. told CBS3 he knows Beverly and does not believe his son was targeted because he is the grandson of Camden Council President Curtis Jenkins Sr. or because he got himself into any trouble.

“My son never even been into a fist fight,” Jenkins Jr. said. “He was a real caring kid. Caring, loving, always happy. Never bothered nobody. Everybody loved my son.”

The Bobster
07-04-2019, 09:59 AM
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/04/curtis-jenkins-brandon-beverly-murder-abduction-camden-homicide/

Suspect Wanted In Robbery Possibly Connected To Abduction, Murder Of Camden City Council President’s Grandson, Police Say
By CBS3 Staff
July 4, 2019 at 9:47 am

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) – Police are searching for a suspect wanted in a robbery that may be connected to the abduction and murder of Camden City Council President’s grandson, Curtis Jenkins III. The robbery happened on the 200 block of Kaighn Avenue on July 1.

Police say one of the suspect’s in the robbery is 32-year-old Brandon Beverly, of Westville. Beverly has been charged with kidnapping and homicide in the murder investigation of Jenkins III.

The second robbery suspect is described as an African-American man wearing a light gray hooded sweatshirt, black pants, and white sneakers.

https://cbsphilly.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/suspect-in-camden-robbery.jpg?w=504&h=284
Credit: Camden County Police

Police believe this robbery may be tied to Jenkins III’s abduction and murder.

The Bobster
07-04-2019, 10:04 AM
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/03/curtis-jenkins-iii-dead-camden-city-council-brandon-beverly-charged/

Man Charged With Murder Of Camden City Council President’s Grandson, Police Say
By CBS3 Staff
July 3, 2019 at 7:10 pm

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) – The missing grandson of Camden City Council President Curtis Jenkins was found dead Tuesday night. Prosecutors say they know who kidnapped, killed and left Curtis Jenkins III in an abandoned garage on the 1100 block of Liberty Street in Camden’s Fairview neighborhood.

Police say 32-year-old Brandon Beverly, of Westville, New Jersey, was arrested Tuesday on an unrelated warrant in Woodbury, New Jersey, even though there wasn’t a trace of the victim at the time.

Court documents say detectives used surveillance video to track down Beverly. Beverly was initially charged with kidnapping and aggravated assault, but they’ve been upgraded to first-degree murder.

“I’ve got hate, which I shouldn’t have in me right now. I’m mad, I’m upset. I’ve been crying and crying and crying,” Gregory Wanamaker, Jenkins’ grandfather, said.

According to court documents, Jenkins III’s hands and feet were tied and a plastic bag was over his head.

The Camden County Prosecutor’s Office says Jenkins III died from asphyxia, or suffocation, and that there was a motive behind the homicide but remained tight-lipped about it.

“He was a real caring kid, man. Caring, loving, always happy. Never bothered nobody. Everybody loved my son,” Curtis Jenkins Jr., Jenkins III’s father, said.

Relatives embraced Wednesday near the spot where the body of the 20-year-old Jenkins was found Tuesday night after he was kidnapped and murdered.

Jenkins III was an employee at the Camden County Clerk’s Office.

“I’d ask for everyone that can hear my voice to keep the Jenkins family in your thoughts, in your prayers as they have to mourn the loss of their grandson, their son,” Camden Mayor Frank Moran said.

According to Jenkins Jr., Jenkins III was working his side job Sunday night delivering barbecue food on the 2700 block of Congress Road when he was kidnapped and killed.

His dad says he received a call from the alleged kidnappers, who sent him a photo of his son tied up and demanded a ransom. According to The Associated Press, they demanded 10 to 15 pounds of marijuana.

“He cooks and sells food. It was a setup,” Jenkins Jr. said. “Somebody gave him a false address.”

Beverly remains in jail and is due back in court for his detention hearing scheduled for Friday.

It’s unclear at this time if others will be arrested in connection to Jenkins III’ murder.

The Bobster
07-06-2019, 10:58 AM
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Camden-Murder-Mystery-Suspected-Killer-Brandon-Beverly-1st-Degree-Murder-Curtis-Jenkins-512257532.html

Camden Murder Mystery: Suspected Killer Brandon Beverly Now Facing 1st-Degree Murder
Brandon Beverly is charged with the kidnapping and murder of 20-year-old Curtis Jenkins III. The investigation is ongoing.
By Alicia Victoria Lozano
Published Jul 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM | Updated at 3:35 PM EDT on Jul 5, 2019

The man accused of killing a Camden City Councilman’s grandson is now facing first-degree murder charges after initially being charged with kidnapping and aggravated assault.

Brandon Beverly, 32, of Westville, New Jersey, is accused of luring 20-year-old Curtis Jenkins III, kidnapping him, demanding a ransom from Jenkins’ well known-family and then shooting Jenkins when his relatives did not comply.

Jenkins is the grandson of Camden City Council President Curtis Jenkins Sr.

“Never, ever would I expect this to knock on our door, something so cruel,” Lisa Robinson, Jenkins’ aunt, said. “It’s really, really hard.”

Officials are still piecing together details of Jenkins’ final moments after he was found dead, with hands and feet bound, in a Camden garage Tuesday.

On Sunday, at around 11 p.m., Jenkins and one other person delivered food to a home in the 2700 block of North Congress Road, according to court records.

Relatives said Jenkins worked at the city clerk’s office, but operated a BBQ food delivery service on the side. He was hoping to raise enough money to pay for his share of an upcoming family vacation.

But this particular delivery order was just a ruse to lure Jenkins to the home, where a group of men attacked him, forced him into a van and then blindfolded him, prosecutors said.

At around 4 a.m. Monday, Jenkins’ relatives received a call from an unknown number, they told police. The caller allegedly demanded 10 to 15 pounds of cannabis in exchange for returning Jenkins. A text message was then sent showing a picture of Jenkins tied up and blindfolded.

A family member later identified the voice as belonging to Beverly, according to court records. Police said the cell phones used to contact Jenkins’ relatives had previously been stolen.

The kidnappers repeatedly reached out to Jenkins’ family following their initial call, prosecutors said. As time passed, Beverly became agitated and shot Jenkins, according to investigators.

When police interrogated Beverly, he admitted to knowing Jenkins before kidnapping him. Beverly cried and said “things got messed up,” according to prosecutors.

After shooting Jenkins, Beverly left him in the garage of an abandoned home on the 1100 block of Liberty Street in Camden. Jenkins was wrapped in a sheet, his hands and feet bound together, with a plastic bag covering his head.

He died from asphyxia, according to the medical examiner's office.

Jenkins' sudden death rippled throughout the community. Earlier in the week, balloons were released in his honor, and loved ones gathered to remember the 20-year-old.

Jenkins' father described him as a "very intelligent man" who was kind and caring.

"This is a shock to everybody," Curtis Jenkins Jr. said.

The Camden political community also spoke out against the murder.

"Curtis Jenkins III was an enterprising young man who worked to bring about a positive change in his community and devoted himself to the betterment of Camden City," Camden County Freeholder Director Louis Cappelli, Jr. said in a statement. "A senseless and tragic event claimed the life of one of Camden’s next generation of leaders."

Police are asking for the public's help in identifying Beverly's accomplices. He is expected to appear in court later this month.

The Bobster
07-09-2019, 08:41 AM
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/08/jalen-carr-arrested-in-robbery-connected-to-kidnapping-murder-of-camden-city-council-presidents-grandson-curtis-jenkins/

Second Suspect Arrested In Robbery Connected To Kidnapping, Murder Of Camden City Council President’s Grandson, Officials Say
By CBS3 Staff
July 8, 2019 at 5:47 pm

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) — A second suspect has been arrested in connection with the kidnapping and murder of the Camden City Council president’s grandson, authorities say. Jalen Carr was taken into custody on Friday.

Carr has been charged with robbing Curtis Jenkins III, officials say. He has been charged with two counts of robbery, one count of conspiracy to commit armed robbery, and several weapons charges.

Officials say Carr is alleged to have played a role in a home invasion and robbery of a cellphone that was used to make a ransom call to Jenkins’ father.

Jenkins’ body was found last Tuesday night in an abandoned garage on the 1100 block of Liberty Street in Camden’s Fairview neighborhood. Prosecutors say the 20-year-old died from asphyxia. According to court documents, the victim’s hands and feet were tied and a plastic bag was over his head.

Police say 32-year-old Brandon Beverly, of Westville, New Jersey, was arrested and charged with kidnapping and murdering Jenkins.

According to Curtis Jenkins Jr., his son was working his side job last Sunday night delivering barbecue food on the 2700 block of Congress Road when he was kidnapped and killed.

His dad says he received a call from the alleged kidnappers, who sent him a photo of his son tied up and demanded a ransom. According to The Associated Press, they demanded 10 to 15 pounds of marijuana.

Jenkins III was an employee at the Camden County Clerk’s Office.

The Bobster
07-12-2019, 09:57 AM
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/07/11/brandon-beverly-curtis-jenkins-camden-jalen-car-murder-kidnapping/

2 Men Charged In Connection To Curtis Jenkins III’s Kidnapping, Death Denied Bail
By Cleve Bryan
July 11, 2019 at 5:44 pm

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Two suspects charged in connection with the abduction and murder of an elected official’s grandson were denied bail during a court appearance Thursday. The men are facing charges in the death of 20-year-old Curtis Jenkins III, the grandson of Camden City Council President Curtis Jenkins.

Thirty-two-year-old Brandon Beverly, of Westville, New Jersey was the first to appear in the cases back to back court hearings with the victim’s distraught family members looking on.

Beverly is the accused mastermind of Jenkins’ kidnapping and was charged with murder.

Despite the difficult testimony, loved ones of Jenkins III say they will be at every court hearing until justice is served.

“I’m here to make sure justice prevails for him and I’ll be here, at every hearing, at every court appearance, I will be here,” Jenkins said.

Authorities say on the night of June 30, Beverly had Jenkins, who ran a food delivery business, deliver a platter of food and then allegedly kidnapped him and used a stolen cellphone to make a ransom call.

Beverly allegedly became frustrated trying to obtain a ransom and suffocated Jenkins with a plastic bag.

“Those actions are senseless, they’re horrific and to take this innocent victim’s life just days before his 21st birthday are actions of unfathomable evil, your honor,” Camden County assistant prosecutor Kevin Moran said.

Beverly’s attorney questioned the credibility of the key witness who she says was aggressively interrogated for nearly six hours.

The second hearing was for Jalen Carr. He is accused of taking part in a robbery where the stolen phone used to make the ransom call was obtained. He is not charged with murder.

After court, the Camden City Council President spoke about the devastating loss of his hard-working grandson.

“He was a positive young man, his goal was to open his own business,” Jenkins said. “He loved to cook, went to work every day. He was not a street kid, he wasn’t on the street. He didn’t do drugs.

“He was clean. He was positive. He was a great role model for his younger siblings. I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around it – that he’s gone. That I’ll be burying my grandson on Saturday.”

Both men were denied bail.

Jenkins’ family says his funeral will be Saturday.

The Bobster
09-14-2019, 10:06 AM
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/09/13/police-asking-for-help-identifying-3-men-possibly-connected-to-kidnapping-murder-of-camden-city-council-presidents-grandson/

Police Asking For Help Identifying 3 Men Possibly Connected To Kidnapping, Murder Of Camden City Council President’s Grandson
By CBS3 Staff
September 13, 2019 at 7:22 pm

CAMDEN, N.J. (CBS) — Authorities are asking for the public’s help identifying three men who may have information on the kidnapping and murder of a Camden man. Police say 20-year-old Curtis Jenkins III was kidnapped and robbed while delivering food near the 2800 block of North Congress Road on July 1.

Police say Jenkins was later found dead the next day.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15116066/2019/09/jenkins.jpg?resize=640,360
(Credit: CBS3)

Jenkins is the grandson of Camden City Council President Curtis Jenkins.

Two men have already been charged in connection to the murder — Brandon Beverly and Jalen Carr.

The Bobster
09-18-2019, 08:07 AM
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/2-Suspects-Indicted-in-Murder-of-Camden-Councilmans--560606421.html

2 Suspects Indicted in Murder of Camden Councilman's Grandson
Curtis Jenkins III was shot and left with a plastic bag over his head in the garage of an abandoned home, prosecutors said
By NBC10 Staff
Published Sep 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM | Updated at 5:17 PM EDT on Sep 17, 2019

https://media.nbcphiladelphia.com/images/brandon+beverly+jalen+carr+07112019.jpg

Two men already arrested in the death of a Camden, New Jersey, councilman's grandson were formally indicted Tuesday by a Camden County jury.

Brandon Beverly, who has been accused as the alleged mastermind behind the kidnapping and murder of Curtis Jenkins III, and Jalen Carr, have already been charged.

Beverly, 32, and Carr, 22, remain jailed in the June 30 death of Jenkins, 20, whose grandfather is Camden City Council President Curtis Jenkins.

They both were indicted for felony murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, conspiracy and weapons charges for allegedly breaking into a home and stealing a cellphone that was later used to demand a ransom payment from Jenkins' family before the victim was shot to death.

Beverly's defense attorney suggested in court in July that a witness interviewed by police kept changing her story and was not credible, an accusation prosecutors flatly denied as Jenkins' mother looked on and wept.

The ordeal began the night of Sunday, June 30, when Beverly and a woman allegedly placed a food order to lure Jenkins to a home on the 100 block of Liberty Street in Camden. When Jenkins arrived, Beverly and a group of men allegedly forced him into a van, tied him up and blindfolded him.

Beverly allegedly used a stolen cellphone to text and call Jenkins' family and demand that they give him 10 to 15 pounds of marijuana as a ransom payment. As time passed, Beverly allegedly became agitated and shot Jenkins, investigators have said.

After shooting Jenkins, Beverly allegedly left him in the garage of an abandoned home on the 1100 block of Liberty Street in Camden. Jenkins was wrapped in a sheet, his hands and feet bound together, with a plastic bag covering his head. He died from asphyxia, according to the medical examiner's office.

Prosecutors allege that Carr helped Beverly steal the cellphone used to make the ransom demands from Jenkins' family.

According to prosecutors, Carr and Beverly stole the cellphone during a robbery early Monday, July 1, on the 200 block of Kaighn Avenue. Carr is charged with armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon.
Tears Flow at Memorial Service for Young Man Killed in Ransom Abduction

Family members said Jenkins worked at the Camden city clerk's office and operated a BBQ food delivery service on the side. The night of his murder, they said, he was working to save up for a family trip.