PDA

View Full Version : one of the few Asian American professional ballet dancers, Amar Ramasar returns to stage after sexua

The Bobster
09-06-2018, 06:05 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/06/show-doesnt-go-on-for-dancer-accused-of-sharing-explicit-pics/

Show doesn’t go on for dancer accused of sharing explicit pics
By Cedar Attanasio, Olivia Bensimon and Ruth Brown
September 6, 2018 | 8:23pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/dancer-suspended-from-nyc-ballet-over-accusations-he-shared-explicit-pics.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1
Amar Ramasar
WireImage

The show must not go on.

A dancer suspended from the prestigious New York City Ballet over accusations that he shared explicit photos of female ballerinas was replaced in a Broadway show a day after the allegations were aired in an explosive lawsuit.

Amar Ramasar, 36, had been appearing in the revival of “Carousel” at the Imperial Theatre — but the role was given to his understudy David Prottas on Thursday, according to a cast list posted at the playhouse.

Ramasar is a principal dancer in the ballet company, but was suspended without pay last month alongside two other ballet bros over what the company called “inappropriate” texts and emails.

The alleged details of those missives were laid bare Wednesday when a former student at the company’s ballet school sued one of the trio, former principal Chase Finlay, accusing him of trading lewd photos and videos of her with other male dancers for similar snaps of ballerinas.

In her suit, Alexandra Waterbury, 20, claims Ramasar texted Finlay in May requesting “those photos/videos” and her then-boyfriend responded with two of her “engaged in a sexual act.”

He asked for an explicit photo in return, and Ramasar allegedly complied with an image of a female member of the company “bare-chested.”

The two continued to trade “sexual and naked photographs” of female dancers over the rest of the day, according to the suit.

During their exchange, Finlay allegedly acknowledged the photos were taken without the women’s knowledge and the ladies “might be a little pissed,” the suit charges.

Ramasar has been appearing as ne’er-do-well Jigger :p Craigin in the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic, whose big song, ironically, is titled, “There’s Nothin’ So Bad for a Woman.”

He performed in the show Wednesday after the lawsuit hit the headlines — but didn’t emerge afterwards to sign autographs as he had the night before, fans told The Post.

Audience members waiting in line for the Thursday performance said it was disappointing to hear the allegations against a cast member.

“It’s upsetting,” Pace student Jameson May, 20, told The Post.

Neither Ramasar nor PR reps for the show returned requests for comment.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/show-doesnt-go-on-for-dancer-accused-of-sharing-explicit-pics.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=231&h=154&crop=1

The Bobster
09-08-2018, 02:02 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/ballet-dancer-returns-to-stage-after-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

Ballet dancer returns to stage after sexual misconduct allegations
By Kenneth Garger, Kevin Fasick and Ruth Brown
September 7, 2018 | 11:44pm

A dancer suspended from the New York City Ballet over accusations that he traded lewd images of female ballerinas returned to his Broadway show on Friday — just days after the scandal came to light.

Amar Ramasar, 36, was replaced by an understudy in Thursday’s performance of “Carousel” at the *Imperial Theatre — a day after the shocking allegations, detailed in a lawsuit, became public.

But on Friday, Ramasar told The Post he would be treading the boards as Jigger Craigin in the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical once again. :mad:

The news got the thumbs-down from some theater-goers.

“Honestly, I don’t think he should be performing. I’m just thinking about the other women in the cast. Do they feel comfortable?” Joy Birdsong, 56, of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, said before Friday’s show. “It’s unfortunate because he’s a phenomenal dancer.”

Others said the show must go on.

“Innocent until proven guilty, right?” said a man who identified himself only as Charlie. “Let’s get the facts. Let the man dance.”

Ramasar, a principal dancer in the ballet company, was suspended without pay for the rest of the season, alongside two other dancers, over “inappropriate” texts and e-mails.

The company said it investigated and found “that each man had violated the norms of conduct that New York City Ballet expects from its employees.”

The details of those missives were revealed Wednesday when a former student at the company’s ballet school sued one of the three, her ex-boyfriend Chase Finlay, alleging he traded explicit photos and videos of her with other dancers, staffers and donors.

In her suit, Alexandra Waterbury claims Ramasar texted Finlay in May asking for “those photos/videos” and her then-boyfriend responded with two of her “engaged in a sexual act.”

Ramasar allegedly responded with an image of a female member of the company “bare-chested,” and the two traded “sexual and naked photographs” of dancers over the rest of the day.

During their conversation, Finlay allegedly acknowledged the photos were taken without the women’s consent and the ballerinas “might be a little pissed,” *according to the suit.

Ramasar declined to comment on the allegations Friday, and reps for “Carousel” did not return *requests for comment.

The Bobster
09-15-2018, 05:50 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/15/new-york-city-ballet-dancers-fired-over-sex-misconduct-accusations/

New York City Ballet dancers fired over explicit photo scandal
By Melkorka Licea and Melissa Klein
September 15, 2018 | 4:14pm | Updated

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/091518-dancers-fired-nycballet-feature.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1
Zachary Catazaro and Amar Ramasar
Getty Images

Two male principal dancers were fired by the New York City Ballet Saturday morning after they were cited in a lawsuit for allegedly trading explicit photos of female ballerinas.

Zachary Catazaro, 29, and Amar Ramasar, 36, were both booted from the company for good after being suspended Aug. 27 for “inappropriate communications,” officials confirmed. :D

The move is in response to an explosive suit filed on Sept. 5 by student-dancer Alexandra Waterbury, 20, against the company — which she called a “breeding ground for sexual exploitation” — and her ex-boyfriend, dancer Chase Finlay, 28.

She alleges her former flame kick-started the X-rated photo exchanges between Catazaro and Ramasar when he wrote, “You have any pictures of girls you’ve f–ked? I’ll send you some [hot] ballerina girls I’ve made scream,” to a group of men in the company.

Finlay — who resigned from NYCB last month — then sent some men in the group, including Ramasar, photos and video clips of their sexual encounters that he’d secretly recorded, the Manhattan Supreme Court suit states.

In response, Ramasar reportedly sent back a picture of a ballet dancer’s breasts.

Waterbury also accused Catazaro of exchanging lewd photos with Finlay, but did not detail the contents in the suit.

The company determined the ballet stars — though not named as defendants in the suit — should be fired after conducting an investigation and weighing community concerns.

“We will not allow the private actions of a few to undermine the hard work and strength of character that is consistently demonstrated by the other members of our community or the excellence for which the Company stands,” NYCB Executive Director Katherine Brown and Interim Artistic Team leader Jonathan Stafford said in a joint statement. “A workplace where our dancers and staff feel respected and valued is our highest obligation.”

Catazaro, in a statement to Broadway World, said he is “deeply saddened” by his termination and argued that he never saw any photos of Waterbury,

“Firstly, I want to clarify that I did not initiate, was not involved in, or associated with any of Alexandra Waterbury’s personal material that was allegedly shared with others,” his statement says.

“Although I was initially suspended for other private and personal communications, the NYCB dancers’ union — AGMA (American Guild of Musical Artists) — maintains that these communications were during off-work hours, and do not justify termination.”

He argued that this “could happen to anyone, in any profession, when personal and private communications are involved” and insisted he wasn’t trying to “harm or embarrass anyone.”

He hopes the union will help get his contract reinstated.

Ramasar told the New York Times, “In the days ahead, I will be telling my story.” :rolleyes:

The Bobster
04-20-2019, 08:11 AM
https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/male-ballet-dancers-fired-over-explicit-photo-scandal-should-get-jobs-back-arbitrator/

Male ballet dancers fired over explicit photo scandal should get jobs back: arbitrator
By Melissa Klein and Priscilla DeGregory
April 19, 2019 | 6:51pm | Updated April 19, 2019 | 7:40pm

Two male New York City Ballet dancers who were fired for allegedly trading explicit photos of ballerinas should be given their jobs back, an arbitrator ruled Friday.

Zachary Catazaro and Amar Ramasar were booted from the company in September after student-dancer Alexandra Waterbury filed a lawsuit against the company and her ex-boyfriend dancer Chase Finlay.

She claims that Finlay started an explicit photo exchange of ballerinas — at one point even telling the other male dancers, “I bet we could tie some of them up and abuse them … like farm animals,” the suit says.

Catazaro, 29, and Ramasar, 37, were not named as defendants in the lawsuit.

Their union protested their firing, prompting the arbitration.

Catazaro — who worked with the ballet company for more than 10 years — said Friday that although he feels “vindicated,” he wouldn’t be taking his job back.

He is currently working with a dance company in Munich, Germany.

“I am grateful and relieved that the arbitrator has found the New York City Ballet’s abrupt termination of my contract to be wrongful and unjust,” Catazaro said in a statement. “After considering the situation I have decided to respectfully decline my reinstatement, and I will not be returning to NYCB.” :D

Ramasar said in a statement that he would be returning to work at the New York City Ballet. :mad:

“I am beyond gratified to have been awarded through the arbitration process, immediate reinstatement as Principal Dancer with the New York City Ballet,” he said.

“As I move forward, learning, and evolving, I am eager to once again dance amongst the colleagues I respect, doing the ballets I have held close to my heart for the past 18 years.

“My deepest apologies and thanks to Alexa Maxwell for her understanding and support.”

The American Guild of Musical Artists — which fronted the legal bill for the pair — said in a statement, “This was a complicated situation. We pursued this case because it’s important to us that your employer is prevented from taking extreme and potentially career-ending action based on non-criminal activity in your private life.”

Waterbury’s lawsuit claimed that Finlay, 28, sent to someone a naked photo of her captioned, “You have any pictures of girls you’ve f—ked? I’ll send you some [hot] ballerina girls I’ve made scream.”

Finlay — who resigned from NYCB — allegedly then sent secretly recorded video clips and photos of his sexual encounters with the women to a group of men including Ramasar, who reportedly sent back a photo of a dancer’s breast, the suit charged.

Catazaro also allegedly exchanged lewd pictures with Finlay, the suit claimed.

NYCB did not return a request for comment Friday.