PDA

View Full Version : NYC Mayor Comrade DeBlasio in the news!!!

The Bobster
09-05-2018, 02:12 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/05/de-blasio-carranza-against-busing-to-desegregate-schools/

De Blasio, Carranza against busing to desegregate schools
By Selim Algar
September 5, 2018 | 2:03pm

Mayor de Blasio and schools Chancellor Richard "Ay!" Carranza said Wednesday that they flatly oppose busing as a means to spur city school integration.

Speaking on the first day of class at PS 377 in Ozone Park, Queens, both men reiterated their commitment to easing stark racial and socioeconomic divides — but said busing was not the answer.

“I don’t think it’s the right way to achieve the goal and I don’t think it helps us achieve that other central goal, which is improving all schools for our children,” de Blasio said.

Carranza, who has elevated school integration as a prime objective during his brief tenure :mad:, was also asked directly if he sees busing in the city’s future.

“I don’t,” he said.

The comments came during a morning press conference marking the start of the public school year for more than a million city kids.

In keeping with custom, de Blasio and Carranza commemorated the new year by walking a young child and his mom into class at PS 377.

The location was selected to showcase the expansion of de Blasio’s 3-K for All program into Queens. The program is now serving 5,000 students at 187 sites in four boroughs, according to the Department of Education.

“Welcome back to our 1.1 million students and their families, and our 145,000 educators and school staff – from Wakefield to Tottenville, and Rosedale to Washington Heights,” Carranza said. “I couldn’t be more excited to spend my first full school year in New York City with such talented and passionate students and adults, and I’m looking forward to an incredible year.”

The Bobster
09-05-2018, 02:18 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/04/carranza-hails-parent-calling-for-forced-school-integration/

Carranza hails parent calling for forced school integration
By Selim Algar
September 4, 2018 | 10:04pm

City schools chief Richard "Ay!"Carranza lauded a white parent who on Tuesday called for forced classroom integration. :confused:

The mom, Holly, called in to WNYC’s “The Brian Lehrer Show” to tell Carranza that she’s sending her kids to local schools in East Flatbush and that integration had to be “forced on the public in order to work.” :mad: :mad: :mad:

“In addition to busing low-income students into the richer schools . . . white families . . . need to be told . . . you can’t live in East Flatbush and send your kid to . . . Park Slope. You have to take your kid to the school around your corner,” she said.

Without endorsing her suggestion, Carranza said, “I can’t thank you enough for what you’ve expressed, and thank you to you and your husband for having a true equity lens in terms of what you want to do for your children and . . . all of our children.”

The Bobster
09-06-2018, 06:45 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/06/city-wont-back-council-bill-that-would-bar-business-with-ice/

City won’t back council bill that would bar business with ICE
By Rich Calder
September 6, 2018 | 5:15pm | Updated

The de Blasio administration won’t be backing a City Council bill prohibiting the city from doing business with agencies enforcing federal immigration laws because it could leave New York vulnerable to terrorist attacks, a top official said Thursday.

Bitta Mostofi, commissioner of the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs, told the Council’s Immigration Committee that the administration supports the “goal” of the bill to distance the city from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. :mad:

But Mostofi pointed out that two city contracts with the Department of Homeland Security unrelated to immigration reform would be voided under the proposed legislation — including one the city relies on to help monitor “the air for agents likely to be used in a bioterrorism attack.” :D

“This contract serves extremely important national security interests, and is unrelated to civil immigration enforcement,” said Mostafi.

She was referring to an agreement DHS’ Office of Health Affairs has with the city’s Department of Health to use a lab for its “BioWatch program.”

The Health Department collected about $50,000 off the deal with the feds last year.

The second contract, worth $139,000 a year, allows ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations unit to use an NYPD’s firing range in the Bronx for training.

Mostofi afterward told The Post she is hopeful the Council would work with the administration by modifying the bill’s language so it would not affect public safety.

Councilman Carlos Menchacca (D-Brooklyn), who chairs the Immigration Committee, said he’s willing to “negotiate” with the administration, but believes he has enough support on the Council to get his legislation passed – even without Mayor Bill de Blasio’s support.

“This Council has done many things against the will of this mayor, so theoretically, absolutely we will have” the votes, Menchacca said.

Menchacca’s bill is scheduled to go before the Immigration Committee for a vote on Sept. 12.

The Bobster
09-11-2018, 04:53 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/10/de-blasio-calls-for-greenhouse-gas-reduction-but-still-drives-12-miles-to-gym/

De Blasio calls for greenhouse gas reduction, but still drives 12 miles to gym
By Nolan Hicks
September 10, 2018 | 11:53pm

Mayor de Blasio called on New Yorkers Monday to cut down on greenhouse-gas emissions — but still won’t stop taking his planet-poisoning trips to the Prospect Park YMCA.

De Blasio co-penned an op-ed with London Mayor Sandniq Khan, urging cities to stop their retirement plans from investing in fossil-fuel companies.

“We are not only committed to taking bold action to tackle climate change . . . but also to showing others the way,” they wrote in a piece published by The Guardian.

New York’s proposed move would remove $5 billion from more than 190 companies.

But the call renewed attention on the mayor’s refusal to wholeheartedly endorse congestion pricing and his own 12-mile treks from Gracie Mansion to the gym.

“I don’t even know where to begin,” said Charles Komanoff, a veteran environmental activist.

The Bobster
09-17-2018, 12:26 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/17/chirlane-mccray-announces-legal-services-for-undocumented-children/

Chirlane McCray announces legal services for undocumented children
By Rich Calder
September 17, 2018 | 2:49pm

Chirlane McCray took center stage Monday as the city announced it was setting aside $4.1 million to provide legal services for more than 900 unaccompanied and separated immigrant children in New York :mad: – a move she denied had anything to do with boosting her image as she mulls running for public office. :rolleyes:

Sources said the first lady is considering a run for Brooklyn borough president in 2021.

But she insisted she got to lead the event instead of Mayor de Blasio, her mentally ill husband, because she chairs the nonprofit Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City, which helped pay the travel expenses for 16 city lawyers and social workers to provide free legal services at a Texas detention center.

The workers were honored at a press conference led by McCray at City Hall.

“I am very proud of the work that the Mayor’s Fund has done to bring these [famblies] together,” she said.

Following the event, McCray made it clear she has no interest in running for public advocate — a post likely to be vacated now that incumbent Letitia James is in line to become state attorney general.

However, she didn’t deny being interested in the Brooklyn BP’s post in 2021.

“I am not ruling it out, but I am very focused on the work I have right now,” she said.

“It is impossible for me to go around the city and other places and encourage other women to run and not think about it myself :rolleyes: – especially with the experience I am getting right now.”

The Bobster
09-17-2018, 01:05 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/09/17/de-blasio-a-no-show-at-democratic-unity-breakfast/

De Blasio a no-show at Democratic unity breakfast
By Yoav Gonen
September 17, 2018 | 2:42pm

After largely sitting on the sidelines in the run-up to last week’s primaries, Mayor de Blasio on Monday was a no-show for an annual Democratic unity breakfast in Brooklyn Monday — just after Gov. Cuomo made a surprise appearance there.

De Blasio was scheduled to speak around 9:45 am, according to a public schedule his office released late Sunday, and a City Hall photographer was spotted outside the restaurant at that time.

But around 10 am, the photographer left, and mayoral aides confirmed that de Blasio wasn’t going to come because his morning calls and briefings took longer than planned.

“Schedule was too tight and he couldn’t make it,” said City Hall spokesman Eric Phillips. “It was always going to be a game time decision.” :rolleyes:

Brooklyn Democratic Party Chair Frank Seddio, who attended the annual event, said the mayor called to say he was delayed in traffic. :rolleyes:

“He was in upper Manhattan and the traffic was horrendous and he couldn’t get down in time,” Seddio told The Post. “He comes every year so he’s certainly well excused.”

Cuomo joined Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul at Junior’s at roughly 8:45 am, according to Cuomo’s re-election campaign, and stayed for close to an hour.

The appearance had not been on Cuomo’s public schedule.

The governor spoke about what he’d been able to accomplish in his first two terms, and what he hopes to accomplish in his third term should the Democrats take control of the state Senate in November.

Phillips said Cuomo’s surprise appearance played “no role” in the mayor’s schedule change.

De Blasio did not make his customary trip to the Park Slope YMCA on Monday morning, he said.