PDA

View Full Version : Cops save woman’s life, find Hispanic attacker later trying to flee country

The Bobster
08-28-2018, 11:40 AM
https://nypost.com/2018/08/27/cops-use-shirt-as-tourniquet-to-save-bleeding-moms-life/

Cops save woman’s life, find attacker later trying to flee country
By Shari Logan and Larry Celona
August 27, 2018 | 8:13pm | Updated

All in a day’s work for New York’s Finest.

Applying a tourniquet with a t-shirt, NYPD cops managed to save a woman who was nearly hacked to death by her ex-boyfriend — and then helped catch the man as he was attempting to flee the country, sources said.

“When we arrived at the scene, my partner was the first to see the victim on the ground bleeding,” Officer Steve Yankowski told reporters on Monday afternoon at the 49th Precinct station house in Morris Park.

“She was laying on her back in the hallway,” he said, referring to the victim. “It was a lot of blood, spread on the door of the apartment she came out of.”

The woman, 24, was at her Bronx apartment with her two young children when her 32-year-old ex — Wilson Rojas, 32, of Fordham — showed up and attacked her, according to police.

She was stabbed several times, suffering deep wounds to her upper left arm, her upper chest and under her left armpit, cops said.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/180827bronxmurderercaughtjfk3wc.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300
Wilson Rojas
Wayne Carrington

Rojas fled and left his former lover to die at the apartment. Cops arrived around 8:45 a.m. to find her bleeding profusely.

“[Sokol] started rendering aid with a t-shirt because that’s what we had at the time, and basically using it like a tourniquet,” recalled Yankowski, who was joined by his partner, Officer Justin Sokol, 29, and Officers Tanya Acevedo, 37, and Steven D’ Alisera, 24.

The group eventually replaced the makeshift tourniquet with a real one and were able to stop the bleeding for good shortly thereafter.

“She started responding,” said Acevedo, who was communicating to the victim in Spanish. :mad:

“She was going in and out. I kept telling her, ‘Stay up. Stay with me, stay with me… Remember your kids. Fight for your kids.'”

Fearing the worst, the woman told Acevedo: “I don’t want to die.”

According to him, “that’s all she kept saying.”

Paramedics rushed the woman to Jacobi Medical Center, where she was listed in stable condition.

Hours after the attack, cops received info about Rojas — who is the father of one of the victim’s children — possibly fleeing the country.

Sources said they learned that he was looking to catch a flight to the Dominican Republic from JFK. The NYPD notified Port Authority Police about his plans and officers were able to nab him at Terminal 4 following a search of the airport.

Once he was back in the Bronx, Rojas was arrested and charged with attempted murder and burglary. He remained in custody on Monday night.