PDA

View Full Version : Moolie millionaire finds note with racial slur in hotel room

The Bobster
07-08-2018, 01:33 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/07/07/african-american-millionaire-finds-note-with-racial-slur-in-hotel-room/

African-American millionaire finds note with racial slur in hotel room
By John Aidan Byrne
July 7, 2018 | 6:22pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/millionaire-racial-slur.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1
Frank Davis and his son, Michael, (not pictured) found this note at their hotel room in Florida. Gordon R. Wenzel; Instagram

An African-American millionaire and his Manhattan consultant son were victims of a July 4th hate crime in their hotel room during a Florida vacation.

A racist creep apparently snuck into Frank and Michael Davis’ room at the upscale Art Ovation Hotel in Sarasota and left a 2-by-5 post-it note reading, “You’re a N—-R.”

After returning to their sixth-floor room from breakfast, the Davises found the sickening message placed on a globe-shaped bedside lamp.

“I was stone cold for 30 to 40 seconds when I read the note,” Michael Davis, 27, a consultant for a financial firm, told The Post.

“My first thought was, what did we do to deserve this? We tipped well :blink:, we were beyond nice to all the staff.”

Fearing for their lives :eek:, Michael and his parents called the police and the front desk. The Sarasota Police Department responded, but no suspects have been named.

The incident was especially wounding in light of Frank Davis’ lifelong efforts to promote diversity. :mad: The business executive has donated $5 million to his alma mater, Bucknell University, for a new building and for minority recruitment. :mad:

Frank Davis, 58, co-founded Horizon Group after reaching the upper echelons of Fortune 500 companies. He took a broad view of the incident.

“It is critical that we all be champions for diversity and inclusion every day,” he said. :mad:

Management for the hotel, part of the Marriott chain, was far less responsive than the cops, Michael Davis said. :rolleyes:

While the hotel refunded all the Marriott points the family had used on their planned six-day visit :mad:, it refused to move them to a comparable location. The Davises checked into a hotel two hours away.

“The whole experience has been very awful and saddening. Despite our best efforts to be friendly, welcoming guests :rolleyes:, someone chose to hate us simply for the color of our skin :rolleyes:,” said Michael Davis, whose mom is a Cuban-American from New York City.

A Marriott vice president eventually called Michael Davis to apologize. :mad: A spokesperson for the hotel chain told The Post it was planning sensitivity training for the Sarasota site :mad:, saying, “The matter is being actively investigated and appropriate actions will be taken.” :mad:

The Bobster
07-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Wrong nigger, but you're still a nigger.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/12/hotel-gets-to-bottom-of-n-word-note-found-in-black-millionaires-room/

Hotel gets to bottom of enwerd note found in black millionaire’s room
By Joshua Rhett Miller
July 12, 2018 | 12:15pm | Updated

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/racist-note-hotel.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1
racist note
Instagram

A racist note found inside a Florida hotel room by a black millionaire and his Manhattan consultant son was left behind by a previous guest and wasn’t directed toward the family, according to the victims and hotel officials.

The sickening note :rolleyes: — which read “You’re a N—-R” — was found on the Fourth of July at the upscale Art Ovation Hotel in Sarasota, a Marriott-affiliated location where a person of interest in the case of the racist message has been identified, the father of the man who found it told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.

“The person of interest was a guest at the hotel who had been using the N-word to disparage Marriott associates and others at the hotel,” Frank Davis told the newspaper in a statement. “The person of interest is also believed to be behind other lewd incidents at the hotel including unlawful fire alarm activation.”

Davis, 58, president and CEO of the Horizon Group, a technical services firm headquartered in Alabama, and his son, Michael, 27, found the message on a bedside lamp inside their sixth-floor room after returning from breakfast.

“I was stone-cold for 30 to 40 seconds when I read the note :eek:,” Michael Davis, a consultant for a financial firm, told The Post last week. “My first thought was, ‘What did we do to deserve this?’ We tipped well, we were beyond nice to all the staff.”

The Davises, fearing for their lives :eek:, then called hotel officials and police in Sarasota. A police spokeswoman told The Post that no arrests had been made as of early Thursday.

“It remains an active and ongoing investigation,” police spokeswoman Genevieve Judge said.

Investigators believe no Marriott associates were involved in writing the note or placing it inside the room, according to Davis’ statement. And while he praised the response by Marriott’s corporate officials, Davis said he was “still slightly concerned” about how hotel employees first handled the incident. :eek:

“I think he could have been much more sympathetic with my son in the conversation they had initially :rolleyes:,” he said, without identifying the specific hotel worker.

Kara Rosner, vice president of Diamond Public Relations, which represents the hotel, told the newspaper in an email that managers are “taking all measures to see this through” and are not taking the matter lightly.

“The safety and security of our guests is of paramount importance to us, as we remain committed to providing an environment where we all feel welcome,” a statement provided late Monday to the newspaper read. “Again, we apologize to all of those impacted by this experience and regardless of the source of this note, we deeply regret that any guests of ours had to endure this situation.”

An internal investigation conducted by the hotel echoed Davis’ account to the newspaper, namely that the note apparently was already in the room, “likely by a previous occupant, when the guest checked in and was not directed at the guests in any way,” according to a statement from hotel officials.

Calls seeking additional comment from Rosner — including how maids seemingly missed the racist missive — were not immediately returned Thursday.

Both Sarasota’s mayor and city manager have commented on the incident, calling it deeply troubling despite apparently being an isolated occurrence.

“Moving forward, all reports detailing suspected or possible hate crimes shall be sent to my office and immediately reviewed,” City Manager Tom Barwin groveled in a news release. “These reports will be shared with the City Commission as well as the appropriate community groups in Sarasota to continue to advance the diverse, cosmopolitan community we value so deeply.” :mad:

Frank Davis, who has spent his career promoting diversity in the workplace, said his son posted photos of the note to his Facebook and Instagram accounts, prompting a deluge of support — as well as death threats.

“There are too many people out there who want to be part of the problem and not part of the solution,” Davis told the Herald-Tribune. “I hope we find a way to help those people to hold themselves to a higher standard. There’s some folks out there now who are lost and hate-filled, and it’s really unfortunate.”