PDA

View Full Version : Botched weapons case against HISPANIC teen Pedro Hernandez dropped after two years


The Bobster
09-06-2017, 09:38 AM
http://nypost.com/2017/09/06/botched-weapons-case-against-teen-dropped-after-two-years/

Botched weapons case against teen dropped after two years
By Rebecca Rosenberg and Natalie Musumeci
September 6, 2017 | 11:31am

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/pedrohernandezfeature-image.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Pedro Hernandez


The weapons case against a Bronx teen jailed in connection to a shooting two years ago will be dropped, Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark announced Wednesday. :mad:

Pedro Hernandez, 17, was locked up on Rikers Island last year in connection to a Sept. 1, 2015, shooting outside of a Bronx bodega.

“We discovered unanticipated witness and evidentiary issues, including that one of the original witnesses is no longer cooperative :mad:,” Clark said in a statement, announcing the dismissal of the case.

“The investigation also revealed that information originally provided to my Office during the initial investigation of this case has now proven to be inconsistent and contradictory. Further, the victim of the shooting is unable to identify who shot him.”

Clark’s statement continued: “It is therefore appropriate to make an application to dismiss this indictment as a matter of justice.”

Hernandez was charged with criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of a firearm, assault and reckless endangerment in the incident that left 15-year-old Shaun Nardoni wounded.

Hernandez gained national attention for refusing to accept a no-jail plea deal in that case and instead remained behind bars until his $250,000 bail was reduced to $100,000 and posted by the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights nonprofit organization.

He has since sued a pair of 42nd Precinct NYPD detectives – David Terrell and Daniel Brady – and the city, claiming he was falsely arrested.

“I also will not tolerate misconduct by law enforcement. The Public Integrity Bureau is investigating allegations related to this matter and will go wherever the evidence leads it,” Clark said.

Hernandez’s trial for the weapons case was slated to begin Wednesday before Clark made the announcement of the dismissal.

The private investigator for the defense, Manuel Gomez, who charges that the weapons case has been “falsified” by Terrell, Brady and Assistant District Attorney David Slott, was “ecstatic” on his way into Bronx Supreme Court Wednesday.

“I’m so happy. I knew this would happen. Omg victory…right now I feel like I won the lottery,” Gomez said.

“I’m ecstatic. You would have thought I won the lottery. I’m jumping for joy. I’m happy after a year and a half of work I’ve been vindicated,” Gomez said.

The formed NYPD cop turned private investigator added, “One thing I don’t want to see happen in this case is the district attorney gets off the hook and the detectives.”