PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn - celebrating black violence - the black 'caribbean carnival festival

The Bobster
09-04-2017, 06:27 AM
http://nypost.com/2017/09/04/gunfire-erupts-ahead-of-jouvert-festival/

Gunfire erupts ahead of J’Ouvert festival
By Georgett Roberts, Stephanie Pagones and Natalie Musumeci
September 4, 2017 | 9:04am

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/090417jouvert2017shooting-gnm004_148389464.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Police at the scene of a shooting in Brooklyn. G.N.Miller

An early Monday shooting left two people wounded ahead of Brooklyn’s J’Ouvert festival even as police beefed up security for the dawn celebration that is typically marred by violence.

Gunfire rang out in Crown Heights about 5 a.m. on Union Street between Utica and Schenectady avenues – a block away from the route of Monday’s West Indian American Day Parade on Eastern Parkway.

A 38-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and a 34-year-old was grazed in the left leg as J’Ouvert revelers were out setting up food stands and playing music, police said.

Barkim Gardener, 52, was setting up for his annual family barbecue on Union Street when he suddenly heard two gunshots over the music.

“I saw people running from Schenectady Avenue towards Utica Avenue. It was chaos,” Gardener said.

He added, “This lady held on to my hand and we ran across the street and ducked behind a truck… It’s Labor Day and everybody is having a nice time and people just want to get stupid.”

Both shooting victims, who suffered non-life threatening injuries, told police they heard shots and felt pain at the same time.

The 38-year-old man went to Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, while the 34-year-old was treated at Kings County Hospital. They both went to the hospitals by private means, cops said.

The city this year shortened the hours of J’Ouvert in an effort to curb the violence that often tarnishes the celebration. The official pre-parade party began at 6 a.m. instead of 4 a.m.

Commenting on the time change of the J’Ouvert celebration, Gardener said, “It should have made it better, but I guess not.”

Hours earlier on Sunday night, two people were shot – one fatally — during separate incidents in Brooklyn.

A 49-year-old man took a bullet to the head at 9 p.m. on Herkimer Street, not far from the West Indian American Day Parade route, police said. The victim was rushed to Kings County Hospital where he died.

The second shooting happened at Schenectady Avenue and St. Johns Place around 11:15 p.m.: A 44-year-old was shot in the torso and was critically wounded, cops said.

There have been no arrests in any of the incidents.

The Bobster
09-05-2017, 08:32 AM
http://nypost.com/2017/09/04/violent-outbursts-overshadow-jouvert-festival-again/

Violent outbursts overshadow J’Ouvert festival — again
By Shawn Cohen, Amanda Woods and Chris Perez
September 4, 2017 | 9:08pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/festivalfeature.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Gabriella Bass

Brooklyn’s J’Ouvert festival was again marred by bloodshed, with at least four people getting shot and another two stabbed, according to police. :rolleyes:

Gunfire first rang out in Crown Heights on Union Street between Utica and Schenectady avenues — about a block away from the West Indian American Day Parade route on Eastern Parkway — just as the festivities were set to officially get under way Monday.

A 38-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and a 34-year-old was grazed in the left leg at around 5 a.m., cops said. Both were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

At around 5 p.m., another person was shot in his torso along the parade route and hospitalized in serious but stable condition.

A little over an hour later, a man was stabbed in his abdomen at 667 Eastern Parkway. His condition was unknown.

Cops said several revelers were wounded away from the parade route throughout the day.

They included a man who was stabbed at 1102 President Street at about 5:15 p.m. and a man who was shot at 1060 Nostrand Avenue — about nine blocks away from Eastern Parkway — around 7:40 p.m.

There had also been reports of a 19-year-old getting stabbed or assaulted while celebrating with his mother, but authorities later confirmed that neither was the case and that he, in fact, hadn’t been injured at all.

Another teenager, who was said to have been slashed or stabbed, actually cut himself on a police barrier, according to cops.

He had been uncooperative at first, leading officers to suspect otherwise.

The Monday mayhem came just hours after another spat of violence, in which two people were shot — one fatally — during separate incidents in Brooklyn on Sunday night.

A local father of two who purposely avoided J’Ouvert to be with family and friends at a gathering blocks away took a fatal bullet to the head around 9 p.m., while his sons watched in horror.

The second shooting happened at Schenectady Avenue and St. Johns Place around 11:15 p.m. A 44-year-old was shot in the torso and was critically wounded, cops said.

There have been no arrests in any of the incidents.

The Bobster
09-05-2017, 09:22 AM
http://nypost.com/2017/09/04/dad-of-two-fatally-shot-in-head-after-avoiding-jouvert/

Blue nigger dad of two fatally shot in head after avoiding J’Ouvert
By Georgett Roberts, Natalie Musumeci and Chris Perez
September 4, 2017 | 6:35pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/david-dottin.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
David Dottin

A Brooklyn father of two who purposely avoided the mayhem of J’Ouvert — preferring to spend his Labor Day holiday quietly with family and friends — took a fatal bullet to the head at a gathering blocks from the parade route Sunday night, while his sons watched in horror, cops and witnesses said.

“I was just talking to him. We were talking about boxing. He got up and said he was going to put his chair away,” recalled Dason Dottin, the 16-year-old son of victim David Dottin, 49.

“That’s when I heard the gun shot,” the teen said. “His body moved. I thought he flinched. Then he fell down. I thought he was going to get back up, but then I saw blood.”

Dottin, who emigrated to the US from Barbados in 1988, was pronounced dead at Kings County Hospital after being rushed there with a single gunshot wound, according to police.

He had been hanging out with pals and relatives in front of 50 Herkimer Place, less than 2 miles away from the West Indian Day Parade route, when gunfire rang out at around 9 p.m., officials said.

Dottin’s mother, Anna Dottin, 70, told The Post that her son had purposely avoided J’Ouvert for years — instead choosing to spend time with family and friends.

“He doesn’t do J’Ouvert. That’s not his thing,” she explained. “He would rather hang out with his friends.”

The shooter, who was still being sought Monday, began blasting into the crowd randomly with a 9mm pistol before taking off down Kerkimer toward Perry Place, witnesses said.

Authorities responded and found Dottin unconscious in front of the residence and transported him to Kings County.

“I was shocked at first,” Dason said. “I tried to shake him, but then I started seeing more blood. My uncle was trying to keep him awake but he couldn’t.”

The teen added, “It was hard. I couldn’t stop crying. I still can’t believe it. I asked myself why him? It wasn’t intended for him but why? It really hurts. Of course, I feel angry. It’s not my fault but I kept thinking maybe if I had just called him over to where I was, maybe it wouldn’t have happened.”