PDA

View Full Version : White Victim of (black) Chelsea slasher suing city for $5M


The Bobster
12-16-2016, 03:58 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/12/16/victim-says-alleged-slasher-should-have-been-in-jail/

Victim says alleged slasher should have been in jail
By Julia Marsh
December 16, 2016 | 1:15pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/untitled-610.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Amanda Morris
Paul Martinka


A 25-year-old Brooklyn woman who was randomly slashed in the face by a knife-wielding criminal in January is suing the city for $10 million over the attack, saying the man should have been locked up.

Amanda Morris was headed to her job at Whole Foods in Chelsea at 5:30 a.m. on Jan. 6 when Kari Bazemore suddenly pounced, slicing her from her nose to her lower lip, according to the Manhattan civil suit.

“He wanted to scar me, and that’s why he went for my face,” she told The Post after the terrifying incident.

She had seven stitches and continues to suffer from “severe nervous shock,” her suit says.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/untitled-77.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=210
Kari Bazemore
Robert Mecea


Bazemore, who had recently assaulted two other women, according to police, belonged behind bars, Morris said in court papers.

“Said assailant was an extreme danger to others,” her suit says.

Less than a week before attacking Morris, a judge had released Bazemore from jail without bail on an earlier assault, ignoring warnings that he was a “high risk” defendant, her suit says.

Morris says in court papers that Bazemore, who has 32 arrests dating back to 2000, clearly should have been in jail or in a psych ward.

The career criminal was “improperly discharged from the custody and control of the City of New York and the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation,” the suit says.

It’s unclear when and why Bazemore was held in a city hospital. Morris’s lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bazemore’s relatives have said that the 43-year-old Bronx man has a history of mental illness.

He’s currently awaiting trial for allegedly hitting a 25-year-old woman on the head with a bottle in Midtown on Nov. 4, 2015 and punching a 28-year-old woman in the face in the Bronx on Jan. 1, 2016.

He has pleaded not guilty to the assault charges.

A city Law Department spokesman said, “the complaint is under review.”

The Bobster
02-22-2017, 05:02 PM
http://nypost.com/2017/02/22/victim-of-chelsea-slasher-suing-city-for-5m/

Victim of Chelsea slasher suing city for $5M
By Julia Marsh
February 22, 2017 | 7:40pm

A second victim of the crazed Chelsea slasher is suing the city over her injuries, reiterating claims from another injured person’s lawsuit that the attacker should have been locked up.

The latest suit was filed in Bronx Supreme Court by Nicole Pagliaro. Pagliaro was returning home from a dinner with friends on New Years Day last year when Kari Bazemore allegedly approached her near Bruckner Boulevard and cut her face.

Pagliaro says Bazemore, who was found unfit to stand trial and committed to a local mental institution, shouldn’t have been on the streets in the first place.

He has 31 prior arrests and had twice been found mentally unfit to stand trial in previous cases.

Pagliaro is suing for $5 million for injuries that required 150 stitches.

Another victim, Amanda Morris who was attacked by Bazemore in Chelsea on Jan. 6, 2016, is suing for $10 million.

City lawyers are reviewing the claims.