PDA

View Full Version : (Hispanic) 5-year-old boy dies after being found unconscious in home

The Bobster
01-23-2017, 04:23 PM
http://nypost.com/2017/01/23/acs-visited-parents-of-tragic-5-year-old-boy-multiple-times/

ACS visited parents of tragic 5-year-old boy multiple times
By Tina Moore, Rich Calder, Kevin Sheehan and Natalie Musumeci
January 23, 2017 | 3:32pm | Updated

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/170118-queens-death.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
A police officer stands guard outside the home where a 5-year-old boy was found unconscious in Queens Sunday night. William Miller

City child welfare investigators visited the parents of a 5-year-old boy who was found dead at his Queens home Sunday, a total of 13 times before the fatal incident, police sources told The Post.

Little Michael Guzman was found unconscious and unresponsive when emergency responders showed up to the family’s Jamaica home on 109th Avenue at around 4:17 p.m., cops said.
Michael was rushed to Jamaica Hospital, but he could not be saved.

The boy’s cause of death is pending the result of an autopsy. “There is no sign of acute injury,” said Julie Bolcer, a spokeswoman for the Medical Examiner’s office.

Meanwhile, the boy’s parents, mom Phyllis Reynoso and dad Michael Guzman, were being questioned at the 103rd Precinct stationhouse and the Queen’s District Attorney is seeking to charge the parents with child endangerment, sources said.

Out of the 13 visits by investigators from the city’s Administration for Children’s Services, eight of them were “indicated,” which means that workers have found credible evidence to support an allegation that the child has been abused or neglected, sources said.

A neighbor said that his family made a complaint with ACS weeks ago.

“We had to make the complaint. I heard the kids screaming. Oh my God. It’s terrible,” said the neighbor, who asked not to be named. “My mother has been talking to the people from the city for weeks about this. We’re just fed up. It’s terrible. They don’t come until the kids dead.”

Another neighbor, Salinas Manik, 40, described Michael through tears as “such a playful boy. A beautiful child. So loving.

“I feel sorry, I feel so bad. We don’t feel good here today,” she said.

An ACS spokesperson would not comment on the case, citing confidentiality laws, but said in a statement, “We are saddened by this troubling news and are investigating the circumstances leading to this child fatality, along with the NYPD.”

The tragedy comes about a month after city and state reports concluded that ACS failed Little Zymere Perkins, 6, in preventing his gruesome slaying on Sept. 26.

Zymere was bludgeoned to death with a broomstick, allegedly by his mom’s boyfriend, after the city’s child-welfare system squandered several opportunities to intervene on his behalf.