View Full Version : Black sports: mixed-race basketballer Matt Barnes accused of choking second woman in club brawl

09-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Laker Matt Barnes Arrested on Domestic Violence Charges (http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-matt-barnes-arrested,0,2387264.story)


SACRAMENTO -- Newly-signed Laker Matt Barnes was arrested Wednesday afternoon in Sacramento on felony domestic violence charges.

Sacramento sheriff's deputies responded to an incomplete 911 call around 4:16 p.m. from a residence in the 8100 block of Sunset Avenue.

They determined Barnes, 30, and his fiancee, Gloria Govan, had been involved in a physical confrontation, during which Barnes prevented the woman from talking to 911 operators.

Both Barnes and Govan had visible injuries. Barnes' booking photo shows scratches to his neck.

Deputies determined Barnes was the primary aggressor and arrested him.

He was booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail on the felony charges of domestic violence and maliciously obstructing the use of a telephone line.

He posted a $50,000 bond and was released just after 9:30 p.m.

He is scheduled to be arraigned on September 13.

07-31-2012, 07:46 AM

Lakers Forward Matt Barnes Arrested In Manhattan Beach
July 30, 2012 11:59 PM


MANHATTAN BEACH (CBS/AP) – Los Angeles Lakers forward Matt Barnes was arrested Monday night in the South Bay and booked on several traffic violations and threatening a public official.

Manhattan Beach police Lt. Steve Tobias said Barnes was arrested around 8:30 p.m. in front of Shellback Tavern, 116 Manhattan Beach Boulevard, in Manhattan Beach.

“Our officer was aware that Mr. Barnes had an outstanding misdemeanor traffic warrant out of our city. He attempted to make contact with Mr. Barnes. Mr. Barnes didn’t cooperate and was eventually taken into custody . . . .,” said Tobias.
Lakers Forward Matt Barnes Arrested In Manhattan Beach

His arrest was caught on surveillance, according to the Shellback Tavern.

Authorities said the warrant was for driving on a suspended license. According to TMZ, officers discovered $26,000 in unpaid parking violations.

Barnes was released from custody after posting $51,000 bond around 11:20 p.m., police said. He is due in court on Oct. 1 in Torrance.

The unrestricted free agent has spent the past two seasons with the Lakers and ten years in the NBA.

Calls to the Lakers for comment were not returned to CBS2 as of early Tuesday morning.

The 32-year-old played college basketball at UCLA.

http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/matt-barnes-4.jpg?w=110&h=110&crop=1 http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/matt-barnes-2.jpg?w=110&h=110&crop=1

The Bobster
10-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Matt Barnes drove 95 miles to ‘beat the s–t’ out of Derek Fisher
By Ian Mohr
October 7, 2015 | 4:08pm

Matt Barnes with then-wife Gloria Govan, and Knicks coach Derek Fisher.
Photo: WireImage, Charles Wenzelberg

Knicks coach Derek Fisher ​is involved in a romantic relationship with the estranged wife of his former teammate Matt Barnes — and when Barnes found out over the weekend, he allegedly attacked Fisher, sources tell Page Six.

Sources said Fisher was at the LA home of Gloria Govan — Barnes’ estranged wife​,​ who stars on “Basketball Wives LA” — on Saturday. Fisher and Govan have been dating for “a few months,” a source said, after Fisher filed to divorce his wife of 10 years, Candace, in March.

But when Barnes learned that Fisher was at his former home with Gloria, he drove 95 miles to LA to “beat the s–t” out of Fisher, sources said.

“Derek was in Gloria’s back yard with about 10 people having a bonfire on ​​Saturday,” said a source. “Derek’s separated from his wife and there’s a relationship with [Gloria].”

The source added, “Barnes was in Santa Barbara [at Memphis Grizzlies training camp] and heard that Fisher was in his house. He went crazy. He got in his car and went to the house and went after Fisher.”

Another source said, “Someone told Matt that Fisher was at the house and he drove down there — he went over to confront Derek.”

Barnes and Fisher as Lakers teammates in 2011.
Photo: Getty Imagews

​A source close to Fisher ​confirmed the fight but said, “Matt came after Derek but he only had a few scratches … Derek’s not going to press charges, he’s going to let it go.”

Fisher left the scene before cops arrived, and we hear that Govan’s planning to file a restraining order.

Another source said that the altercation was the reason Fisher missed Knicks practice on Monday — but others said that he had been traveling back to New York on Sunday and was delayed because of plane trouble. The Knicks tweeted on Monday that Fisher was “not at practice due to personal reasons — expected back tomorrow.” He was in LA visiting his kids. ​​

The NBA has been made aware of the incident, and along with the Grizzlies and Knicks, will investigate the details, according to Yahoo.

Barnes — who played with Fisher on the Lakers — made headlines recently when he told TMZ that he and pop star Rihanna were “just past the crush stage,” and Rihanna fired back that she’d never met the player.

Barnes has had trouble with the law in the past: He was arrested in 2010 on suspicion of domestic violence but he disputed the charges, and again in 2012 on a misdemeanor traffic warrant.

Govan said this year of her impending divorce from Barnes: “Matt and I were together for eight years. And I think the course of our relationship is just due to evolution. We’re always gonna be good friends. Obviously we have kids together.”

A Knicks rep said the team’s offered total support of Fisher. A Grizzlies rep did not immediately ​return a call for comment. Govan’s agent, David Arrigotti, had no comment, and her publicist did not immediately return calls. Barnes’ agent did not immediately return calls.

The Bobster
12-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Matt Barnes’ choke defense: ‘Butt bumps’ and media bias
By Natalie Musumeci
December 5, 2016 | 3:45pm | Updated

Photo: AP

Sacramento Kings forward Matt Barnes – wanted for questioning by police for allegedly choking his girlfriend inside a Chelsea nightclub – posted on Instagram Monday “there’s always two sides to a story.” :rolleyes:

“The side the media consistently tries to paint of me…And what actually happened! Don’t believe everything you read,” Barnes posted at around 2 p.m. to his more than 430,000 followers.

The NBA star – who was with teammate DeMarcus Cousins – allegedly choked a 26-year-old woman sitting at a nearby table inside the Avenue nightclub at around 3:20 a.m. after she reached over to grab her purse, sources said.

Barnes also “physically assaulted” another man and woman who tried to intervene, witnesses told investigators, sources said.

A larger brawl broke out with glass bottles being thrown following the alleged attack.

A rep for Barnes told TMZ that the woman had slapped him in the face after Barnes accidentally “butt bumped” her in VIP section of the club.

The rep claimed that several men with the woman then violently intervened and one of the men choked Barnes, according to TMZ.

Cousins even jumped in in defense of Barnes, the celebrity gossip site reported.

The Bobster
12-06-2016, 03:55 PM

Matt Barnes’ lawyer contacts DA’s office over alleged choking
By Tina Moore and Natalie Musumeci
December 6, 2016 | 2:55pm


A lawyer for Sacramento Kings forward Matt Barnes contacted the Manhattan DA’s office over his alleged choking of a woman at a New York night club — but there’s no warrant out for his arrest, a high-ranking police source told The Post.

Lawyers for the NBA team have also contacted the DA.

Barnes was accused of choking a 26-year-old woman, who may be his girlfriend, inside of the Avenue nightclub at around 3:20 a.m. Monday – hours after a crushing defeat to the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

”There’s no warrant for him. Unless they indict him or issue a warrant for him there’s nothing anybody can do,” the source said, adding that police went looking for him at his hotel. “He’s gone.”

Following the alleged attack, a much larger melee broke out inside the Chelsea club and a 27-year-old woman was hit in the face with a bottle of Hennessey by another woman, sources said.

Barnes also allegedly punched a man, 35, from another table next to the basketball player’s crew, which included teammate DeMarcus Cousins.

A rep for the 6-foot-7 Barnes has told TMZ that he acted in self-defense.

On Monday, Barnes took to Instagram to defend himself saying, “there’s always two sides to a story.”

The Kings are off until Wednesday, when they play the Dallas Mavericks at the American Airlines Center in Texas. The team is not scheduled to return to the city this season.

The Bobster
12-08-2016, 07:38 PM

Barnes accused of choking second woman in club brawl
By Kaja Whitehouse
December 8, 2016 | 7:35pm | Updated

Matt Barnes
Photo: Getty

Sacramento Kings player Matt Barnes is now being accused of choking two women at a nightclub in Chelsea on Monday.

The allegation came Thursday from the lawyer of the first woman to come forward, Jasmine Besiso, who filed a lawsuit against Barnes, 36, over the alleged choke on Wednesday.

The lawyer, Michael Lamonsoff, told reporters Thursday that Barnes choked his client only moments after strangling a different woman at the Avenue nightclub on Dec. 5th.

Lamonsoff said the first alleged choking incident, which he based on eyewitness accounts, occurred at Barnes’ VIP table, which was adjacent to Besiso’s.

The first woman was “choked repeatedly” by Barnes, Lamonsoff said eyewitnesses have told him.

“I don’t know who she is, but I implore her — if she is out there — get yourself a lawyer,” Lamonsoff said at a press conference with Besiso and her boyfriend Myrone Powell, both of whom claim they were assaulted that night by Barnes and his Sacramento Kings pal DeMarcus Cousins.

“No man should put his hands on a woman,” Lamonsoff said.

Jasmine Besiso sits beside bruised boyfriend Myrone Powell at a press conference Wednesday.
Photo: Matthew McDermott

Barnes’ lawyer, Alex Spiro, declined to comment on the allegation that Barnes choked two women that night. “We believe no crime was committed and will continue to cooperate with the authorities,” Spiro, who represents both Barnes and Cousins, has previously said.

Besiso and Powell’s Manhattan federal court lawsuit, filed Wednesday — just two days after the alleged attack — accuses the 6-foot-7 Barnes of kicking off the brutal brawl when he walked over to Besiso, without provocation, and grabbed her neck and starting choking her.

When Powell, 35, went to Besiso’s aid, Cousins jumped in and punched Powell in the face, the lawsuit said. On Thursday, Lamonsoff called it a “sucker punch.”

Barnes then elbowed Beliso, 26, in the face “knocking her unconscious,” before jumping in to help Cousins and others beat up Powell, the lawsuit alleges.

Besiso and Powell knew who the two men were because they are famous, but they were otherwise strangers, Lamonsoff said.

Lamonsoff said he is confident that criminal charges will be filed, even though the ball players are no longer in New York. It is unclear if they were interviewed by police before they left.

“I believe there will be a criminal prosecution of these two basketball players,” Lamonsoff said.

“I’m outraged and disgusted by what happened to me,” the five-feet-five-inch Besiso, a hairdresser, told reporters Thursday.

Powell, who appeared at the presser with two black eyes, called the attack by Barnes and Cousins “cowardly.”

“It’s disgusting and to me it’s very cowardly,” the freelance video director said of the alleged assault.