PDA

View Full Version : This will never go national because at least one of the victims is white

voiceofreason
06-08-2012, 06:35 AM
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/4-arrested-in-gr-break-in-sex-assault

4 arrested, 1 wanted in break-in, rape
GRPD: 'Dangerous crew' suspect in other robberies

Updated: Thursday, 07 Jun 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 07 Jun 2012, 4:05 PM EDT

http://media2.woodtv.com//photo/2012/06/07/dorian_jones_brandon_towns_james_hodges_redrick_me lton_d_20120607215830_640_480.JPG
Dorian Jones (left top), Rederick Melton (left center), Brandon Towns (left bottom) and James Hodges right). Hodges remains at large

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Four people are in police custody after allegedly breaking into a Grand Rapids northwest-side residence and sexually assaulting a young woman. Police are still looking for one more man they say was involved.

James Edward Hodges, 19, of Grand Rapids is still wanted in connection to the sexual assault and break-in. GRPD Capt. Jeffrey Hertel said authorities want him to turn himself in, but they are looking for him. He's described as a 5-foot-8, 120-pound black male with black hair and brown eyes.

Another three adult males and a juvenile male -- all of Grand Rapids -- were taken into custody over the course of two days, Hertel said.

The four adult males each face three counts of first-degree criminal sexual assault, four counts of armed robbery and one count of home invasion, Hertel said.

24 Hour News 8 sorted through Kent County jail, GRPD and Michigan State Police records to connect case numbers that show the three adults already arrested are Dorian Jones, age 20; Rederick Melton, age 20; and Brandon Towns, age 25.

Charges for the 14-year-old juvenile have not yet been determined.

The break-in and sexual assault happened in the 600 block of Veto Street NW, just blocks away from the Grand Valley State University Pew Campus.

The four college students living in the house moved in only a few weeks ago. Sunday night, the students living in the house held a party to kick off the summer. The party cleared out sometime before 4 a.m. and those that remained in the house went to sleep.

Police responded around 5:30 a.m. to the residence after receiving a call that a sexual assault had occurred.

The occupants of the house told police that four or five suspects broke into their house as they slept. The students were struck over the head with a weapon and tied up. A young woman was sexually assaulted.

"To have the individuals come into a house that they know there's people in there, break down the door with five of them, tie everybody up, then violently sexually assault a young lady -- a student here in our city -- and then take property, that's about as serious as it gets," said Hertel.

Hertel said the arrests were the result of "intensive investigation and the assistance of the public."

"This case has been troubling," said Hertel . "This is a case that has shaken even our most seasoned investigator in the family service team."

A team of more than a dozen detectives worked "'round the clock" to bring in the suspects, Hertel said.

"All of us have had sleepless nights. We go home and get an hour or two of sleep and come back," said Sgt. Kristen Rogers, who worked the case. "When you investigate a crime like this and how horrific it is for the victims, you want to catch who did it."

He also said that the special response team, detectives and their teams, patrol officers and the community came together to solve the crime. Hertel said community members came forward willingly and often with information that helped lead to the arrests.

Hertel called the suspects a "dangerous crew."

He said authorities have uncovered a similar method of operation in which the group gets invited to a party, scopes out a house and the property inside it, and then returns later to break in and rob the residence.

He said that's what happened the night of the Veto Street incident.

Hertel said he thinks authorities have identified everyone in the crew.

Jones's criminal record was clean until now. Towns has been in trouble before for larceny and burglary nearly a decade ago when he was still a teen. Melton's criminal record is short. It shows only a minor stolen property coviction six years ago.

John Pietrzyk lives next door to the residence where the crime occurred. He said he has been a little on edge since he heard what happened Monday.

"I'm sleeping much better," said Pietrzyk. "My neighborhood's more safe now that they've caught these guys."

Hertel said authorities "absolutely" suspect that the crew is responsible for several other robberies in various municipalities in Kent and Ottawa counties, including some church break-ins.

Investigators couldn't confirm which church break-ins they thought the men are responsible for, but 24 Hour News 8 has covered break-ins at churches in Grandville, Jenison and two in the Caledonia area in the past month alone.

Police also said the forensic team also played a huge part in their investigation. Identifying stolen items from various crime scenes was key in connecting the four men to other recent crimes.

Hertel said the Veto Street incident appears to be the first sexual assault they have committed.

"I'm sure there are several crimes we're not even aware of yet that they've committed," said Sgt. Rogers. "We still have to figure it out."

Jones, Melton and Towns are expected to be arraigned Friday. Hertel said the investigation continues.

Ranger
06-11-2012, 12:14 AM
All five suspects (black of course) involved in the brutal break-in and sexual assault are now in police custody, giving some relief to their victims.

Dillon Vance (white victim) was one of seven people, most college students, sleeping at a house in the 600 block of Veto Street, where the break-in occurred . Vance had just laid down on his friend's couch after a college party when he endured the most terrifying nights of his life.

"The next thing I know I was pistol whipped on the back of the head, they put me down on the couch, put pillows over my head, took my belt off, and bound my wrists together," said Vance. "They put the gun to the back of my head and said if I screamed or tried to do anything, I was dead."

Police arrested Dorian Jones, Rederick Melton, Brandon Towns and also have a 14-year-old in custody.

Vance didn't realize the last suspect, James Hodges, turned himself in on Friday.

"That is a huge relief for me," said Vance.

His roommate, Jared Holmes, shares the relief, especially since several wallets were stolen giving the suspects full access to the victims' addresses.

"That half hour that they were in the house, I've never prayed harder or longer in my entire life," said Vance.

Dorian Jones, Rederick Melton and Brandon Towns, were each officially charged with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual assault, (a female was present so naturally, there was a gang rape) four counts of armed robbery and one count of home invasion. Towns also faces an additional charge for being a fourth time habitual offender.:eek: (at 25 YEARS OLD!) Jones - who has prior record in Illinois - and Melton are each 20 years old, while Towns is 25.

They were all ordered held without bond by Judge Jeanine Laville on Friday.

Hodges faces similar charges to the other three suspects. He will be arraigned on June 11.

The 14-year-old will be processed through the juvenile system.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Veto-victim-describes-terrifying-night

"Truth is NOT racism"-Glenn Beck

"The presence of the negro is the real problem"-President Theodore Roosevelt

"Reading NNN could save your life"-Ranger

Earl Turner
06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Groidle Apeprehended In Home Invasion - White Victims Describe Terrifying Night Of Muh Dikkery And Robbery

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan (WOOD) June 8, 2012 - All five suspects involved in the brutal break-in and sexual assault are now in police custody, giving some relief to their victims.

Dillon Vance was one of seven people, most college students, sleeping at a house in the 600 block of Veto Street, where the break-in occurred. Vance had just laid down on his friend's couch after a college party when he endured the most terrifying nights of his life.

"The next thing I know I was pistol whipped on the back of the head, they put me down on the couch, put pillows over my head, took my belt off, and bound my wrists together," said Vance. "They put the gun to the back of my head and said if I screamed or tried to do anything, I was dead."

Police arrested Dorian Jones, Rederick Melton, Brandon Towns and also have a 14-year-old in custody.

Vance didn't realize the last suspect, James Hodges, turned himself in on Friday.

"That is a huge relief for me," said Vance.

His roommate, Jared Holmes, shares the relief, especially since several wallets were stolen giving the suspects full access to the victims' addresses.

"That half hour that they were in the house, I've never prayed harder or longer in my entire life," said Vance.

Dorian Jones, Rederick Melton and Brandon Towns, were each officially charged with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual assault, four counts of armed robbery and one count of home invasion. Towns also faces an additional charge for being a fourth time habitual offender. Jones - who has prior record in Illinois - and Melton are each 20 years old, while Towns is 25.

They were all ordered held without bond by Judge Jeanine Laville on Friday.

Hodges faces similar charges to the other three suspects. He will be arraigned on June 11.

The 14-year-old will be processed through the juvenile system.

(YouTube videos no longer online) - Editor

Earl Turner
06-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Groidle Commits Home Invasion, Rape, And Robbery Against White Kwallege Students In Grand Rapids, Michigan

GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan (WOOD) June 8, 2012 - James Hodges, the fifth suspect in a brutal rape and break-in on Grand Rapids southwest side Monday, surrendered to police Friday afternoon.

He will be formally arraigned on Monday. He is likely to face three counts of first-degree criminal sexual assault, four counts of armed robbery and one count of home invasion.

Earlier Friday, Dorian Jones, Rederick Melton and Brandon Towns, were each officially charged with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual assault, four counts of armed robbery and one count of home invasion. Jones and Melton are each 20 years old, while Towns is 25. They were all ordered held without bond by Judge Jeanine Laville.

A 14-year-old juvenile is also in custody, and will be processed through the juvenile system.

The break-in and sexual assault happened in the 600 block of Veto Street NW, just blocks away from the Grand Valley State University Pew Campus.

The four college students living in the house moved in only a few weeks ago. Sunday night, the students living in the house held a party to kick off the summer. The party cleared out sometime before 4 a.m. and those that remained in the house went to sleep.

Police responded around 5:30 a.m. to the residence after receiving a call that a sexual assault had occurred.

(YouTube videos no longer online) - Editor

Earl Turner
06-14-2012, 06:15 PM
This will never go national because one of the victims is white

One of the victims? From what I can tell, I would bet that ALL four of the victims in this nigger crime story are white!

voiceofreason
05-29-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/05/rape_victim_in_veto_street_ass.html?utm_source=fee dburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+grpress+%28The+Grand+Rapids+P ress+Latest+News+|+MLive.com%29

Rape victim in Veto Street assault, robbery gives tearful statement as four sent to prison
May 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM

http://media.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/photo/2013/05/12836167-large.jpg

GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- As she tried to hold back tears in a Kent County courtroom, a young woman raped in a brutal home invasion and assault of college students described her emotional damage to her attackers.

Her statement was brief but powerful as she talked about dreading even looking at the four men.

"I hope during your (prison) you will reflect on your terrible decisions and your wrongdoing and that you can become a better person," she said.

She describe the situation as a "nightmare" that has been "playing over and over again in my head."

The young woman's comments came moments before Kent County Circuit Court Judge George Buth sentenced the men -- Brandon Towns, 26; James Hodges, 20; Dorian Jones, 21; and Rederick Melton, 21 -- to prison terms ranging from a minimum of 43 years to a maximum of 100 years.

Buth issued consecutive sentences for each man.

Jones and Melton were sentenced to 18-40 years on four counts of armed robbery, another seven to 20 years for home invasion and an additional 18-40 years for three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Hodges was sentenced to 20-40 years, 10-20 years and 20-40 years for the same series of charges, while Towns got 25-40 years, 12-20 years and 25-40 years.

Towns had previous felonies on his record.

voiceofreason
11-26-2016, 04:57 AM
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/11/25/man-resentenced-attack-students-details-would-turn-stomach/94416390/

Man resentenced in attack on students: 'Details would turn stomach'
1:53 p.m. EST November 25, 2016

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f6971d504a6d894cb7944de3d383c26c5c6bb869/c=0-0-533-401&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/11/25/DetroitFreePress/DetroitFreePress/636156588855874944-rederick.jpg

GRAND RAPIDS — A Grand Rapids man convicted in a brutal home invasion and assault of college students in which a young woman was raped returned to a Kent County courtroom for resentencing this week, but it did not change the outcome.

Rederick Louis Melton received the same sentence he got three years ago; a minimum of 43 years in prison for the June, 2012 attack on college students on Veto Street near Seward Avenue NW. Several young men were pistol-whipped; a woman was beaten and raped.

“I’ve been on the bench almost 30 years now. Outside of murder cases, this and one other case are the worst I’ve seen,’’ Kent County Circuit Court Judge George S. Buth said.

The rape “went way beyond what you’d normally see with a sexual assault,’’ Buth said.

“This was very devastating on all the victims here, but especially this young lady,’’ the judge told Melton. “Fortunately, she has a good support system, but she will be suffering the effects of this the rest of her life, I’m sure.’’

Melton, now 24, is at the Ionia Correctional Facility. The earliest he can be considered for release is 2055.