PDA

View Full Version : (Hispanic) Man arrested for killing dog during fight with girlfriend - only gets 60 days

The Bobster
01-11-2016, 04:21 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/01/11/man-arrested-for-killing-dog-during-fight-with-girlfriend/

Man arrested for killing dog during fight with girlfriend
By Tina Moore and Daniel Prendergast
January 11, 2016 | 2:21pm

A man was arrested for killing his girlfriend’s dog by slamming the animal against the ground in Queens, authorities said Monday.

Carlos Hernandez, 32, had been arguing with his girlfriend over who would walk the dog at their 113th Street apartment in Forest Hills on Sunday morning, police sources said.

The heartless fiend then picked up the pooch and slammed it on the ground, causing severe injuries. The dog died a short time later.

Hernandez was arrested and charged with torturing an animal and criminal mischief, cops said.

The Bobster
04-27-2016, 11:18 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/protesters-to-push-for-maximum-sentence-for-dog-killer/

Protesters to push for maximum sentence for dog-killer
By Joe Tacopino
April 27, 2016 | 1:14am

Demonstrators will gather outside Queens Criminal Court Wednesday to demand that a man who killed his girlfriend’s Chihuahua be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The group will rally on the courthouse steps in Kew Gardens at 8:30 a.m. as Carlos Hernandez, who slammed the poor dog, Honey, to the floor of his Forest Hills apartment in January, faces sentencing for cruelty to animals.

The Bobster
04-28-2016, 09:50 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/dog-killer-boyfriend-hit-with-new-felony-charges/

‘Dog-killer’ boyfriend hit with new felony charges
By Georgett Roberts and Chris Perez
April 27, 2016 | 8:31pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/042716_honeydemo_emk_010.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=835
Carlos Hernandez, accused of killing a chihuahua owned by his ex-girlfriend, enters court.
Photo: Ellis Kaplan

Dog lovers demanding justice for a murdered Chihuahua gathered outside Queens court on Wednesday as the pooch’s accused killer faced upgraded charges inside.

The protest was in full swing as prosecutors added two new felony raps — grand larceny and robbery — against Carlos Hernandez for allegedly snatching Karem Belalcazar’s dog Honey out of her hands and fatally slamming her on the floor.

The 32-year-old Forest Hills resident was initially charged with cruelty to animals, criminal mischief and endangering the welfare of a child, since his girlfriend’s daughter was there at the time of the incident, although she didn’t witness the heinous act.

The original charges carried up to four years in prison, but Hernandez now faces up to seven.

He had already turned down a plea deal of six months.

After the proceedings, Belalcazar got choked up as she told The Post how Hernandez was jealous of Honey and always had it out for her. She claimed this — and the fact that she wanted to leave him — was the ultimate reason he killed Honey last January.

“He did it to spite me,” said Belalcazar, who gave Honey to her 8-year-old daughter as a present. “The relationship wasn’t working. I told him that I didn’t want to be with him anymore. He didn’t want that. He was saying, ‘I was going to be with you forever,’ and I said ‘No’. That’s when he got angry and snapped. He took Honey by the head and threw her to the floor. I was crying and saying, ‘What have you done, what have you done?’ He didn’t say anything. He started packing his things and then he left.”

Knowing that Hernandez could be locked up for almost a decade had the pooch-loving protesters outside the courthouse very happy.

“I love the DA’s fierce prosecution,” said Kate Riviello, of No Kill New York, which is an animal advocacy group.

Georgia Prunty, 70, of Freeport, LI, who got up at 4 a.m. for the demonstration, said: “What he did to that little animal was horrendous . . . Put him away, get them off the streets!”

The Bobster
09-29-2016, 09:27 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/09/29/man-who-killed-ex-girlfriends-dog-to-serve-just-60-days-in-jail/

Man who killed ex-girlfriend’s dog to serve just 60 days in jail
By Emily Saul
September 29, 2016 | 12:32am

The monster who killed his ex-girlfriend’s Chihuahua in a fit of rage got a sweetheart deal Wednesday of just 60 days in jail for the gruesome pet killing.

Dog murderer Carlos Hernandez pleaded guilty last month to killing 3-year-old Honey, whom he grabbed from the arms of his ex, Karem Belalcazar, during an argument in January.

The brute, 33, then fatally slammed the petite pooch to the ground in their Forest Hills home.

Belalcazar’s 11-year-old daughter was home at the time, but did not witness the heinous act.

“I regret opening the doors of my house to a person who is so cruel and cold,” Belalcazar told the court Wednesday during a victim-impact statement.

“Honey didn’t deserve to die this horrible way. She was adorable and was a big part of our family.”

Hernandez originally faced up to seven years’ jail time and had snubbed an offer of six months in prison.

But after pleading guilty to every charge in his indictment, negotiations were left up to Queens Supreme Court Justice Deborah Stevens Modica and his defense attorney, law-enforcement sources said.

Judge Modica made good on the promised wrist slap Wednesday, when she sentenced the killer to 60 days and four years’ probation.

Hernandez also must register with the Health Department as an animal abuser, which will block him from buying or adopting at city pet shops and shelters.

Hernandez’s attorney did not return a request for comment.