View Full Version : Video: SF assault negro causes chaos on the Bay Bridge

09-08-2016, 08:41 AM

SF assault suspect causes chaos on the Bay Bridge
Updated 8:08 am, Thursday, September 8, 2016

A suspect wanted in a San Francisco assault caused havoc on the Bay Bridge early Thursday when he walked into eastbound traffic of the span, dodged an attempt by a California Highway Patrol officer to subdue him with a Taser and scaled a railing before he was talked into surrendering, officials said.

The incident started just after 11 p.m. Wednesday and didn’t end until about 5:30 a.m. Thursday. Three of the five lanes on the eastbound lower deck of the bridge were shut down while officers attempted to take the man into custody, said Officer Victor Ruiz, a CHP spokesman.

Ruiz said CHP officers responded to the bridge after getting calls of a pedestrian walking in the eastbound lanes. Drivers reported the man was approaching cars zooming by, and threw several traffic cones that he came across into the roadway, Ruiz said.

When CHP officers caught up to him just west of the Yerba Buena Island, he was jogging in the No. 1 lane, Ruiz said.


Assault Suspect Arrested After Bay Bridge Standoff
September 8, 2016 7:19 AM


SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A San Francisco assault suspect who climbed over the railing of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge to elude arrest, triggering an overnight standoff and forcing the closure of several lanes, surrendered to police early Thursday morning.

According to the California Highway Patrol, the agency began receiving calls around 11 p.m. Wednesday of a man walking on the Bay Bridge who was tossing traffic cones and lunging at passing vehicles.

Arriving officers, attempted to subdue the man, but he ran away on the structure toward Treasure Island.

As CHP officers closed in, he climbed over the railing and became perched on the beam located in-between the two decks of the bridge.

The CHP called in the hostage negotiating team from the San Francisco police department who made contact with the man.

Hours passed until the man climbed up the onto the bridge and surrendered to police around 5:30 a.m.

A short time later, all lanes on the bridge were reopened before the start of the busy morning commute.

The CHP said the man — an African-American male in his 20s — was wanted for an assault near the Transbay Terminal.

He was taken to San Francisco General for a psychiatric examination.