PDA

View Full Version : Deadly mayhem at annual Black Carib parade in Brooklyn

The Bobster
08-26-2016, 05:20 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/08/26/cops-urge-jouvert-revelers-to-refrain-from-violence/

Cops urge J’Ouvert revelers to refrain from violence
By Shawn Cohen and Danika Fears
August 26, 2016 | 8:05pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/jouvert.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
J'Ouvert nigger revelers celebrate on Empire Boulevard in Brooklyn in September 2015. Photo: Stephen Yang

The NYPD has a clear message for revelers taking part in Brooklyn’s J’Ouvert festival this weekend: Don’t shoot.

The 71st Precinct in Crown Heights tweeted out a flyer Thursday afternoon warning festival-goers to refrain from violence during the annual celebration.

“This community will no longer tolerate this violence,” the message said. “Do not shoot anyone. Do not stab anyone. Every act of violence will be fully investigated and prosecuted. This year celebrate J’Ouvert and keep it safe.”

The flyer also reminds residents that two people were killed last year during J’Ouvert, a pre-dawn street procession before the West Indian American Day Parade.

“[Four] people have been indicted for those murders,” it reads. “Each of them may spend up to 20 years in prison.”

Last year, former Gov. Cuomo aide Carey Gabay was shot and killed by a stray bullet fired during a gang fight that broke out in the middle of the festivities. He was struck in the head while trying to escape the chaos, and died nine days later

The Bobster
09-02-2016, 06:48 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/09/02/man-connected-to-fatal-shooting-of-cuomo-aide-busted-in-california/

Man connected to fatal shooting of Cuomo aide busted in California
By Joe Tacopino
September 2, 2016 | 12:53am

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/west_indian_day_parade.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Carey Gabay
Photo: AP

A man connected to the shooting death of an aide to Governor Cuomo during last year’s J’Ouvert festival was tracked down and arrested Thursday in California, authorities said.

Kenny Bazile was arrested by NYPD detectives, US Marshals and local police in Palm Desert California in connection with Carey Gabay’s killing, according to NBC News, law enforcement sources said.

Bazile allegedly fired shots in the Crown Heights gun battle where Gabay was fatally struck by a stray bullet.

As many as three dozen rounds were fired. Gabay, 43, was hit in the head, and died in the hospital nine days later.

Four suspects allegedly involved in the shootout have already been arrested in Gabey’s death.

Among them was Micah Alleyne, 24, who was indicted in May and charged with murder. Alleyne is believed to have fired the shot that killed Gabay.

The annual J’Ouvert festival will commence on early Monday morning.

The NYPD said this week that they have taken extraordinary security measures to make this year’s festival safe.

The Bobster
09-02-2016, 06:07 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/09/02/dozens-in-drug-and-gun-gang-arrested-ahead-of-jouvert-festival/

Dozens in ‘drug and gun gang’ arrested ahead of J’Ouvert festival
By Larry Celona and Kenneth Garger
September 2, 2016 | 2:09pm | Updated

Brooklyn narcotics cops stormed into Crown Heights on Friday morning, rounding up 35 alleged gang members in a raid meant to clean house prior to Monday’s J’Ouvert celebration.

Those arrested are members of the Franklin Avenue Family Crew, a Crips-affiliated drug and gun gang known to pedal heroin and cocaine on Eastern Parkway, along the West Indian Day parade route, officials said.

The roundup by Brooklyn South Narcotics cops netted a haul of 10 handguns, three pounds of pot, some heroin and a kilo of cocaine, officials said.

Last year’s pre-dawn J’Ouvert celebration ended in tragic violence, when two other gangs, from the nearby Ebbets Field Houses, went to war near the dancing revelers.

Lawyer and innocent bystander Carey W. Gabay, 43, an aide to Governor Cuomo, was struck in the head by a stray bullet, and died days later.

“This was a concentrated effort to execute this case prior to J’Ouvert,” said NYPD Capt. Joseph Matzinger.

A fifth suspect in Gabay’s shooting was arrested in California on Thursday.

Friday’s arrests were the result of a four-month investigation; 14 of those arrested have already been charged in a sealed indictment, sources said.

The investigation was sparked by the broad-daylight double-shooting in March of a 14-year-old girl and an 18-year-old man at Franklin Avenue and President Street, officials said. Those shootings were linked to a beef between the Franklin Avenue Family Crew and rival gang Folk Nation.

A month later, the same two rival gangs were responsible for another mid-afternoon shooting on April 22 at Union Street and Franklin Avenue, officials said. All four victims survived.

The 35 arrested at nine Crown Heights locations Friday face charges including conspiracy to distribute narcotics and weapons possession, officials said.

The Bobster
09-05-2016, 06:20 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/09/05/2-killed-in-jouvert-festival-shootings-in-brooklyn/

2 killed in J’Ouvert festival shootings in Brooklyn
By Joe Marino, Larry Celona and Yaron Steinbuch
September 5, 2016 | 6:35am

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/160905-yang_nyp-jouvert-shooting_2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Niggers run for their worthless lives after shots were fired at the J'Ouvert carnival early Monday. Photo: Stephen Yang

Two people were shot to death and three others wounded early Monday at the bustling J’Ouvert carnival celebrating Caribbean culture in Brooklyn :D — sparking pandemonium hours before the city’s annual West Indian Day Parade.

At least five people were shot and one person was stabbed despite a heavy police presence to ensure safety during the raucous event, which has been routinely marred by violence.

Last year, an aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo was killed by a stray bullet.

The first shootings happened about 4 a.m. at Flatbush Avenue and Empire Boulevard in Crown Heights, where a male in his late teens or early 20s was shot in the chest and died at Kings County Hospital, sources said.

A 72-year-old woman was shot nearby as she sat on a bench, sources said. She is expected to live.

A 66-year-old woman was shot in the hand and arm at the same location and was listed in stable condition, police said.

About 25 minutes later, a 22-year-old woman was shot in the eye just a block away, police sources said. She died at a hospital.

A woman was stabbed at Empire Boulevard and Ocean Avenue, but police said she refused medical attention.

The shootings erupted while as many as 40 cops — aided by powerful lights — were stationed only feet away, sources said.

Dozens of panicked people stampeded over each other during the chaos, with dozens hurtling themselves over barricades and taking cover behind anything solid, including garbage cans and cars.

Scores of officers with their hands on their service weapons ran toward the Wendy’s parking lot on Empire between Flatbush and Washington. Police and EMS responded within seconds.

At about 7:15 a.m., at Rogers and Clarkson avenues, a man was shot in the leg and taken to Kings County Hospital, where he was expected to survive.

The NYPD had planned to double the number of cops patrolling the neighborhood, where a procession of steel drums and costumed revelers was set to kick off at 4 a.m. for J’ouvert.

The department also added 42 new security cameras to watch over an estimated 250,000 revelers and illuminated this year’s celebration with 200 light towers. For the first time, organizers of the parade were required to get a permit.

Police, in conjunction with community groups, also distributed fliers with the stern warning: “This community will no longer tolerate this violence. Do not shoot anyone. Do not stab anyone.” :p

The heightened security measures came a year after Carey Gabay, a 43-year-old lawyer who had worked for Cuomo and was deputy counsel to the state’s economic development agency, was shot in the head as two street gangs exchanged gunshots during the festivities.

Earlier the same morning, a Bronx man, Denentro Josiah, was stabbed to death during the event.

In 2014, a man was fatally shot and two people were wounded during the celebration.

Organizers say the early morning festivities that led to what is now J’ouvert started in the 1980s.

The tradition originated in the Caribbean and is celebrated in several North American cities with West Indian communities, including Boston and Toronto.

The name, J’ouvert, means daybreak, put together from the French words “jour” and “ouvert.”

City officials and community organizers have long chafed at the perception that J’ouvert, and the even larger West Indian American Day parade that follows hours later, are intrinsically hospitable to violence. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

voiceofreason
09-05-2016, 07:21 AM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/27/brooklyn-jouvert-flyer/

Flyer Warns Residents ‘Do Not Shoot Anyone’ During J’Ouvert Celebrations
August 27, 2016 7:58 PM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/08/27/19/37A30B5700000578-0-image-a-1_1472320865701.jpg

The Bobster
09-05-2016, 03:45 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/09/05/i-got-shot-at-jouvert-and-im-never-going-back/

I got shot at J’Ouvert — and I’m never going back
By Reuven Fenton and Natalie Musumeci
September 5, 2016 | 5:00pm

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/090416shootingvictim1bs.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Margaret Peters
Photo: Brigitte Stelzer

This 73-year-old woman has vowed to never attend another J’Ouvert festival again after being shot during a wave of violence at the predawn Brooklyn party early Monday.

Margaret Peters was sitting on a bench outside of a Wendy’s on Flatbush Avenue and Empire Boulevard in Crown Heights with her cousin and sister waiting for the Caribbean street fest to begin when bullets rang out just before 4 a.m.

“My sister heard a ‘pow!’ and said, ‘Get up and run,’” Peters told The Post hours later, recalling the bloody chaos as she sat in her Crown Heights apartment, still wearing hospital socks and recovering from her wounds.

The septuagenarian then dove to the ground for cover – unaware that a single bullet had pierced through her right hand and through her left bicep as she sat on the bench hugging her body to keep warm from the chill in the air after having spent most of the night at an event called Dimanche Gras at the Brooklyn Museum.

“I didn’t feel anything, but I started to tremble, tremble, tremble,” Peters said, adding that she only realized she was shot when she noticed that she was bleeding.

Throngs of revelers started running when bullets flew.

“I never even heard the shots. My sister later told me that she saw gun smoke where a group of young people had been standing and arguing,” she said.

Emergency responders rushed Peters to Kings County Hospital where she was treated and released.

“I’m feeling very shaky, very nervous. There’s a hole in my hand – the bullet went right through. I wouldn’t be going back next year,” Peters said of the annual early morning carnival that has been marred by violence in recent years.

Last year, Carey Gabay, an aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, was killed by a stray bullet.

Peters – who has been enjoying the Labor Day weekend Caribbean festivities in Brooklyn since she emigrated in 1972 from Trinidad and Tobago – was one of at least four injured at the carnival that left two dead several hours before the West Indian Day Parade kicked off.

“The youths seem to want to ruin the West Indian parade,” she said. “They’re smoking marijuana, carrying on, looking for fights with other groups.”

Peters added, “The bystanders are always the ones getting hurt. It’s so sad – I could have died. I told my family the most important thing is I’m alive.”

Her daughter-in-law Rajday Peters, 61, said that the J’Ouvert violence that overshadows what is supposed to be a joyous festival “isn’t helping the black community.” :p

“They need to change their ways,” Rajday said. “This is a day of celebration, a day of enjoyment. Have fun but make it clean fun.”

The Bobster
09-05-2016, 03:46 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/09/05/st-johns-student-gunned-down-at-jouvert-festival/

St. John’s student gunned down at J’Ouvert festival
By Sophia Rosenbaum
September 5, 2016 | 1:59pm | Updated

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/victim-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=640
Tiarah Poyau
Photo: Facebook

A St. John’s University student who just wrapped up an internship at PricewaterhouseCoopers had her dreams of becoming an accountant cut short when she was killed at the violence-plagued J’Ouvert carnival.

Tiarah Poyau, 22, was identified as one of the two victims killed in the early-morning melee that left at least four people injured despite a heavy police presence at the annual carnival, an all-night celebration that precedes the West Indian Day parade.

She was struck in the eye with a bullet a block away from the bench where a 72-year-old woman was shot just 25 minutes before. The elderly woman is expected to live, according to police sources.

The beautiful Poyau was a burgeoning career woman who spent the summer as an international tax intern at PwC in New York, according to her LinkedIn profile.

And while she was proud of her internship, which was her second one with the top-five accounting firm, she said her biggest accomplishment was a recent study abroad program.

“My greatest achievement was in Spring of 2014 when I studied abroad in Paris, Rome, and Seville. Apart from being able to get away for a while, I was given the opportunity to push my limits and be responsible for my personal growth and development journey,” she wrote on LinkedIn.

She shared dozens of photos of her European adventure on Facebook, including shots of her posing with the Tower of Pisa in Italy, the Eiffel Tower in France and catching some waves in Spain.

“Playa de la Victoria – Beach near Sevilla,” she wrote along with a shot of her in a leopard-print bikini tube top.

She was even one of the thousands of revelers who got a chance to see Pope Francis at the Vatican ahead of Lent in 2014.

“Head a great start to Lent. Pope Francesco making his morning rounds before the Papal Audience at the Vatican,” she captioned a Facebook photo of the pontiff waving to the crowd from a top-down Mercedes cruiser.

The Bobster
09-05-2016, 03:51 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/09/05/de-blasio-says-jouvert-could-be-cancelled-after-night-of-violence/

De Blasio says J’Ouvert could be canceled after night of violence
By Yoav Gonen, Georgett Roberts and Bruce Golding
September 5, 2016 | 12:43pm | Updated

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/090516jouvert4gsb.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
J'ouvert partiers dance, throw paint and bang on police cars early Monday. Photo: Gabriella Bass

City officials will consider canceling Brooklyn’s violence-prone J’Ouvert street party in the wake of multiple shootings that killed two bystanders early Monday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said — noting that “all options are on the table.”

Asked if officials would finally put an end to the annual pre-dawn mayhem ahead of the West Indian Day Parade, de Blasio said: “I’m not going to go into detail until we do a full review.”

“Just making a broad, strategic statement, all options are on the table. But we’re going to look at the whole situation with the NYPD and community,” he said.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/160905_yang_nyp_jouvert_festivities_16.jpg?quality =90&strip=all&w=637
A man flips off a cop in an unmarked car during the J'Ouvert festival.
Photo: Stephen Yang

Last week, de Blasio had predicted that “months and months and months” of planning by cops and community members would ensure that this year saw “the safest J’Ouvert ever.”

Gov. Andrew Cuomo — whose aide Carey Gabay was caught in crossfire and killed during last year’s J’Ouvert celebration — expressed outrage over the recurring bloodshed.

“We had more violence and more death last night, and I think in some ways the cruelest situation is when you can predict the violence and you can predict the death, and you still can’t do anything about it, and I hope this is a wake-up call,” Cuomo said.

“Carey Gabey should not have died in vain. We should have gotten the message. The violence last night, we need to get the message.”

Three separate shootings erupted at 3:45 a.m., 4:15 a.m. and 6:45 a.m. Monday, officials said.

An 18-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman, both described as “unintended targets,” were shot and killed, while a 72-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man were also wounded by the gunfire.

In addition, a 66-year-old woman suffered a cut to her leg when she fell while fleeing a shooting, and a man and a woman were stabbed in separate incidents.