View Full Version : Police: ‘High-risk’ (black) sex offender moves into Fairfield

10-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Jahessye Shockley

Police Working for New Leads in Missing Ariz. Girl Case

Updated: Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 12:46 PM MST
Published : Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 5:53 AM MST

GLENDALE - It's been one week since a 5-year-old girl from Glendale was seen and police say they plan to fan out once again in the area where she disappeared in hopes of turning up new leads.

On Tuesday, the 911 call from Jahessye Shockley's mother was released:

Operator: "911 what is your emergency?"

Mother: "Thank you, hello, hello, hello...I need..I need an officer at my house. I can't find my daughter."

Operator: "Okay, how old is she?"

Mother: "Five"

Glendale police have no suspects or evidence in the disappearance of Jahessye Shockley.

Jahessye was last seen Oct. 11 by her three older siblings at her Glendale apartment while their mother was running an errand.

Police don't believe Jahessye wandered away or had some type of accident because they she would've been found her by now. They say the fact that they haven't points to a possible kidnapping.

At Tuesday morning's news conference, police said they're still working on the theory that Jahessye is still alive.

"Our hope is that one of the leads that we're receiving will lead to us to finding out the whereabouts of Jahessye and hopefully bringing her home safe. We are hopeful of that possibility," said Glendale Police Cmdr. Rick St. John.

Police say they have no evidence of a kidnapping, but if she was, the public needs to be aware that the kidnapper could change her appearance.

Police say everyone who knew Jahessye or interacted with her is a "person of interest" in her disappearance.

Jahessye is about 3' 5" tall, 55 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes.

If you think you've seen her, or know something about her disappearance, call this special tipline: 623-930-HELP (4357).



Missing girl's mother, father have troubled past

Posted: Oct 13, 2011 5:13 PM PDT Updated: Oct 14, 2011 2:55 PM PDT
Posted by Steve Stout


As the search goes on for 5-year-old Jahessye Shockley, who was last seen Tuesday afternoon in Glendale, we're finding out more tonight about the family.

Each time we have seen Jahessye's mom she has been crying and appears distraught.

Police tell CBS 5 she is cooperating fully with investigators. They also say a search of the apartment where the little girl lives with her mom and three siblings turned up no evidence of violence or foul play.

But CBS 5 News uncovered a troubling past of both little Jahessye's mother and father.

George Shockley and Jerice Hunter

The booking photos of Jahessye's mom, Jerice Hunter and the child's biological dad, George Shockley, were taken after the pair was arrested in October of 2005 in northern California by Vallejo police.

The couple was booked for what they call in California inflicting injury on a child, felony child abuse.

Police tell us at least three kids were put in protective custody as a result of that arrest.

Documents from 2005, before Jahessye was born, say Hunter abused her other children-including a 3-year-old, beating them so badly with extension cords she left welts.

In fact, the court said she "never, ever should have had children."

She allegedly punched her older children and whipped them with sticks.

The Solano County district attorney said Hunter entered into an agreement that dropped the more serious torture charged and convicted her of four counts of child abuse. The DA says she was sentenced on Aug. 22, 2006, to 8 years in prison. They gave her 243 days credit and because she had no serious prior convictions, California law allowed her to be released in May of 2010 after serving 50 percent of her sentence. She was then put on parole which expired in June of this year.

George Shockley is a registered sex offender and is currently serving time in a California prison. The Solano County district attorney said Shockley was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Sept. 8, 2006.

"We are aware of relatives' histories as well as father's histories," said Glendale Police Sgt. Brent Coombs.

Vallejo police told CBS 5 News they also had contact with Hunter for similar accusations of harming a child the year before in 2004.

Court records shows Hunter has children from at least three different fathers.

CBS 5 spoke with Jahessye's grandmother Thursday. She would not speak about her daughter's criminal past, but did not deny it was troubled.

Glendale police told CBS 5 that no one has been ruled out in the girl's disappearance.

"Everyone is a person of interest," Coombs said.

Coombs was asked the whereabouts of Hunter's other children.

"The other children are, I believe, with family members," Coombs said.

A spokesperson for Child Protective Services said they had been consulted, and that none of the children had visible signs of injuries.

11-21-2011, 02:40 PM

Missing Arizona Girl's Mom Arrested, Police Call Her the Main Focus

Published November 21, 2011

| Associated Press

Jerice Hunter, left, was arrested on child abuse charges "directly related to Jhessye" Shockley, right, who has been missing since Oct. 11, 2011.

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Police said Monday they've arrested the mother of a missing 5-year-old Arizona girl on child abuse charges.

Jerice Hunter was arrested on child abuse charges "directly related to Jhessye," Glendale Police Sgt. Brent Coombs said. Jhessye (JES'-ee) Shockley has been missing since Oct. 11.

Coombs said Monday investigators don't believe they'll find the girl alive and that Hunter "is our No. 1 focus."

Hunter's apartment was surrounded by police tape Monday as investigators in white jumpsuits searched inside. Police declined to say what investigators were doing.

Police have said they believed Jhessye wandered from her Glendale apartment while Hunter was running an errand. The girl's three older siblings were the last to see her.

Police have repeatedly said they had no evidence, suspects or promising leads.

State Child Protective Services removed Hunter's four other children, including a newborn, from her home last month but declined to say why, and police said they had no involvement in the decision to take them away.

Hunter came under scrutiny during the investigation for an October 2005 arrest with her then-husband George Shockley in California on child abuse charges. Hunter pleaded no contest to corporal punishment and served about four years in prison before she was released on parole in May 2010.

Hunter's oldest child, 14 at the time, told police that his mother routinely beat the children.

George Shockley is a convicted sex offender and is still in a California prison. Hunter has told reporters she didn't know about his past until they were arrested and now has nothing to do with him.

Hunter's mother, Shirley Johnson, said her daughter is a changed woman since she got out of prison and is a good mother to her children.

Hunter was eight months pregnant at the time of Jhessye's disappearance. While still pregnant, she demonstrated at the state capitol in Phoenix, saying her daughter's case wasn't getting the attention it deserved because she is black.
At the Oct. 24 demonstration, Hunter condemned members of the media for focusing too much on her past and said she had nothing to hide.

"I have been forthcoming with law enforcement from day one. I let them turn my home into a crime scene hours after I reported that I couldn't find my daughter," she said. "They didn't find anything, but they're holding my children hostage."

She also criticized the Glendale police department's investigation.

"We feel that law enforcement is not active in finding Jhessye and that they're more active in persecuting me instead of finding out where she is," Hunter said.

In the days following Jhessye's disappearance, more than 100 officers and volunteers searched for her in pools, garbage bins and shrubs. They interviewed and searched the homes of registered sex offenders in the area, and stopped at every door to spread news about the missing girl.

Police also cordoned off an area of a local landfill where garbage from Jhessye's neighborhood would have been taken the day of and day after her disappearance, but have not searched it.

Coombs said last week that the FBI was working to schedule a lie detector test with Hunter, but it was unclear whether that occurred.

FBI spokesman Manuel Johnson declined Monday to say whether the exam was held, or comment on the case.

The telephone at Hunter's home went unanswered Monday, and Johnson did not immediately return repeated calls for comment.

12-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Police Think Ariz. Girl Was Killed, Dumped in Bin

By AMANDA LEE MYERS Associated Press
PHOENIX December 21, 2011 (AP)

Police now believe a 5-year-old Arizona girl missing for more than two months was killed and that her body was dumped in a trash bin across town before her mother reported her missing — the most substantive information detectives have released about what they think happened to the girl.

Police in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale stopped short of saying who they think killed Jhessye Shockley, but Glendale police Sgt. Brent Coombs reiterated Wednesday that the girl's mother is the "No. 1 focus."

"We're in what we believed to be the worst-case scenario from the beginning," Coombs said.

A month ago, detectives arrested Jhessye's mother, Jerice Hunter, on a child abuse charge related to the girl, announcing at the time that they didn't believe they'd find the girl alive.

Hunter was released from jail days later, and the charge against her was dropped. Prosecutors said at the time that they wanted further investigation and were worried that Hunter would not be eligible for a potential murder charge if she was convicted of abusing Shockley, a situation known as double jeopardy.

A call to Hunter's home was not immediately returned Wednesday, but she has previously maintained her innocence.

Coombs said tips that came in following Hunter's arrest and evidence collected during search warrants led police to believe Jhessye's body was dumped in Tempe. He declined to elaborate.

Coombs did say detectives firmly believe Jhessye's body is now in a landfill south of the Phoenix area, and that detectives are deciding whether to search for it.

"There's such a scientific method behind trying to pinpoint a location within a particular cell within that landfill. It's a very difficult thing to do," he said, also noting that decomposition is an issue. "The reason we're taking such a long time is we want to be as confident as we can be prior to starting any operation that we're going to do the very best job we can."

Hunter reported Jhessye missing Oct. 11, telling police that she left Jhessye with the girl's older siblings while she ran an errand and returned to find her gone.

But a court document released last month says Hunter's teenage daughter later told police that she hadn't seen Jhessye since September. She told them that a few days before Hunter reported the girl missing, she saw Hunter cleaning her shoes and a closet where she kept Jhessye.

Police said they found a receipt that showed Hunter bought food and a bottle of bleach Oct. 9.

The teen also told police that Hunter deprived Jhessye of food and water while keeping her in the closet, and that she saw the girl with black eyes, bruises and cuts to her face and body.

"(She) reported that Jhessye's hair had been pulled out and described Jhessye as not looking alive and that she looked like a zombie," the document said. "(She) said that the closet where Jhessye had been looked like a grave and smelled like dead people."

The teen also said Hunter became angry with Jhessye sometime in September when she returned home to find the girl wearing a long T-shirt while watching TV with a neighbor boy. Hunter told Jhessye she was a "ho" before taking her into a bedroom, according to the document. The teen said she then heard her sister screaming and crying in the room.

Police say Hunter has declined to submit to a lie-detector test.

Hunter has said she had nothing to do with her daughter's disappearance, and has been critical of investigators.

"We feel that law enforcement is not active in finding Jhessye and that they're more active in persecuting me instead of finding out where she is," Hunter said in October.

Child welfare workers removed Hunter's other children, including a newborn, from her apartment the day after she reported Jhessye missing.

Hunter came under scrutiny during the investigation for an October 2005 arrest with her then-husband, George Shockley, on child abuse charges in California. Hunter pleaded no contest to corporal punishment and served about four years in prison before she was released on parole in May 2010.

Hunter's oldest child, 14 at the time, has told police his mother routinely beat the children. George Shockley is a convicted sex offender and is still in a California prison.

Hunter's mother, Shirley Johnson, has said her daughter changed after prison and became a loving mother.

03-25-2012, 03:04 PM


Family: Missing Jhessye's mother pregnant


Posted: Mar 23, 2012 6:53 PM PDT Updated: Mar 25, 2012 12:20 PM PDT


Friday marked week seven in the search for the body of 5-year-old Jhessye Shockley who Glendale police believe was killed and placed in the trash.

Meanwhile, family members have confirmed with CBS-5 News that Jerice Hunter, Jhessye's mother, is pregnant.

Hunter's four other children are in state custody. Three were taken by Child Protective Services the night of October 11, 2011, when Jhessye was reported missing. Hunter then gave birth two weeks after that, CPS took custody of the baby shortly after she was born.

General Grant
04-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't know if anyone could ever put the negative cost to deal with these negros but I guarantee its a huge sum of money. Most think the mammy did her own kid in. Not to worry for the mammy because shes already pregnant again. $400,000 searching a landfill.


For 10 weeks, police have raked through thousands of tons of trash at the Butterfield Station Landfill south of Phoenix hoping to find 5-year-old Jhessye Shockley's body.

Dark birthday for missing Glendale girl Jhessye Shockley

06-28-2012, 12:16 PM

PD: Landfill search over for missing Jhessye Shockley
Posted: Jun 27, 2012 9:55 AM PDT Updated: Jun 28, 2012 5:24 AM PDT


Glendale police confirm they have officially ended their landfill search for a missing 5-year-old girl.

At a news conference Wednesday afternoon investigators said they were unable to recover any evidence from the Butterfield Landfill, where they believed Jhessye Shockley's body or evidence leading to her body might be found.

"Despite our best efforts, the odds were against us and we were unable to locate Jhessye," said Assistant Police Chief Rick St. John. "We thought we were going to find her but that just wasn't the case."

"Sitting here today, I can say we didn't miss her," St. John said. "We believe that she's there, but she wasn't where we looked. We know that as a certainty."

St. John said 43,000 man-hours went into the landfill search that began Feb. 6. He said over the course of 96 days, authorities searched through 9,500 tons of compressed trash. "That would cover two-thirds of a regulation football field, about 21 feet deep," St. John said.

"We've searched everywhere she was likely to be, but we couldn't find her," St. John said.

The search, involving 280 volunteers, has cost $750,000 to date, St. John said.

"None of us were prepared to sit here today saying we did not find Jhessye," he added. "We knew how Jhessye got to the landfill, we knew the path that she took and we knew how she was deposited into the landfill."

He said not finding her body in the landfill gives investigators a new resolve to hold accountable the person or persons responsible for her disappearance.

Glendale Police Commander Dave Madeya was emotional at the news briefing. "It is very difficult," he said. "They didn't want to leave. But we did everything humanely possible to try to find her."

Police said Jhessye's mother remains "our primary suspect in this case."

Police suspect Jhessye Shockley was killed in October and although her body has not been found, they have classified the case as a homicide investigation.

09-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Jerice Hunter, mother of missing girl, arrested

Updated: Sep 06, 2012 8:52 PM PDT



Jerice Hunter, the mother of missing Glendale girl Jhessye Shockley, was booked into the 4th Ave Jail on Thursday afternoon.

Hunter was indicted on charges of first degree murder and child abuse and arrested without incident at her home in Mesa, said Glendale Police Chief Debora Black during a press conference.

Black said there was no new evidence in the case -- but that the body of evidence over the past 11 months is enough, authorities believe, to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Hunter killed her daughter.

"We took everything that we had at the conclusion of the landfill, which was important that we finished the search of the landfill. We've been working since that day, since the end of the search, that's how we reached the point that we did today," said Black.

Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said his office feels confident in the charges that the grand jury issued.

"While the indictment and the arrest itself are not evidence itself, they still must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of 12. It is my firm belief that with the investigation to this point that we've secured the appropriate charges and the process will proceed with the sole goal of providing justice," said Montgomery.

5-year-old Jhessye Shockley has been missing since Oct. 11. The investigation into her disappearance has since become a murder investigation.

Jerice Hunter was arrested on child abuse charges back in November of 2011. Jhessye's brothers and sisters told them their mom beat Jhessye, threw her in a closet, and told them to tell police she disappeared. The three children also described Jhessye as "not looking alive" and that she looked "like a zombie," and (the closet) "smelled like dead people."

She was released days later because no charges were filed. At the time, Glendale Police said, "This decision will allow the Glendale Police Department to follow up on new leads developed since the search warrant and arrest of Jerice Hunter for the Child Abuse on Monday November 21, 2011, as well as complete forensic analysis of evidence."

An extensive landfill search for Jhessye's remains ended in July without any discovery of evidence. Police personnel sifted through thousands of tons of trash, suspecting Hunter disposed of Jhessye's body a few days before reporting her missing.

County Attorney Bill Montgomery has prosecuted cases without a body before. Police say less than 10-percent of all landfill searches are successful.

Hunter has a criminal past. She was arrested in a child abuse case in California back in 2005. Hunter pleaded no contest to corporal punishment and served about four years in prison before she was released on parole in May 2010.

04-27-2015, 03:05 PM

Jury issues guilty verdict in done Hunter trial
Updated: Apr 27, 2015 2:02 PM PST


PHOENIX (AP) -- A jury has reached a guilty verdict in the trial of an Arizona woman charged with murder in the 2011 disappearance of her 5-year-old daughter.

The verdict was read around 2:00 p.m. Monday in Maricopa County Superior Court.

Jurors began deliberating on April 21, but started over because one was dismissed Monday due to a medical issue. An alternate replaced that juror.

Authorities suspect Jerice Hunter beat and kept her daughter Jhessye Shockley in a bedroom closet at the family's suburban Phoenix home depriving her of food and water until she died.

Hunter pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and child abuse.

Prosecutors say Hunter stuffed Jhessye's remains in a suitcase and put it in a trash bin.

Hunter's lawyers say there's no proof that Jhessye is dead.

06-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Police: ‘High-risk’ sex offender moves into Fairfield
Published 11:01 PM PDT Jun 09, 2016


FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KCRA) —Fairfield police are letting people know a registered high-risk sex offender has moved into the city.

George Shockley, 49, is classified as a high-risk offender because of his 1990 convictions of annoying or molesting children under the age of 18, and a 1993 conviction for lewd acts with a child under the age of 14.

“High-risk sex offenders are serious offenders who have been identified by the California Department of Justice as having a high risk of re-offending and who may pose a greater danger to the public than other offenders,” the Fairfield Police Department said in a Facebook post.