View Full Version : Transgender woman Islan Nettles dies after savage beating, sparking hate-crime probe

The Bobster
08-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Transgender woman Islan Nettles dies after savage beating, sparking hate-crime probe
Last Updated: 9:54 AM, August 23, 2013
Posted: 2:23 AM, August 23, 2013

Police are investigating the savage beating of a transgender woman as a hate crime after she died in Harlem Hospital last night, cops said.

Islan Nettles, 21, was beaten by a group of men after an argument at 11 p.m. Saturday. One of the men was shouting anti-gay slurs, cops said.

Nettles died after spending several days on life support, officials said.

An unidentified 20-year-old male has been arrested in connection with the attack, authorities said.

Islan Nettles, 21.

The Bobster
08-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Man facing possible murder charges after transgender woman dies from savage beating
Last Updated: 7:19 PM, August 23, 2013
Posted: 2:23 AM, August 23, 2013

A man is facing possible murder charges after he savagely beat a transgendered woman into a coma before she was finally taken off life support yesterday, police sources said.

Islan Nettles, 21, was hanging out with a group of other transgendered women along Eighth Avenue near 147th Street at around midnight last Saturday when she was approached by a group of men, police said.

Paris Wilson, 20, is said to have made a pass at Nettles and was shocked to learn she was not born a woman, sources said.

Humiliated in front of his crew, Wilson then got into a heated argument with Nettles and the other women, hurling derogatory slurs at the group.

The two eventually came to blows, but Wilson eventually overpowered Nettles, beating her to a pulp, sources said.

Nettles died yesterday after being taken off of life support at Harlem Hospital, cops said and Wilson has been bailed.

The Manhattan DAs office is reviewing the incident to see whether Wilson’s original assault charge will be upgraded, sources said.

Christine Quinn said today, "The District Attorney, the police are investigating the specifics of this crime and are investigating this as a potential hate crime. Now, they're going to continue to do that investigation but we have another situation that there is a very real possibility that someone’s life is over, over because people didn't like who they were.

"Taking away somebody's life that you don't like for who they are, feeling so affirmed in your hatred that you get to act it out so violently, that's not what New York is about...Enough has to be enough."

The Bobster
04-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Man says brutal beating of transgender woman was ‘blind fury’: cops
By Rebecca Rosenberg
March 31, 2016 | 9:42pm

James Dixon was arrested for the 2013 fatal beating of Islan Nettles (right), a transgender woman. Photo: Steven Hirsch (left)

A man charged with the vicious beating death of a transgender woman in Harlem told cops he did it in a “blind fury,” it was revealed Thursday at a hearing in Manhattan Supreme Court.

James Dixon, 25, allegedly confessed to Detective Heriberto Vasquez shortly after the Aug​. 17, 2013, attack, the cop testified.

“A couple of days before this incident, I got fooled by a transgender and this could have led to this incident, [this] blind fury,” Dixon allegedly wrote in a statement, the officer said.

Dixon and some pals had chatted up some women “thinking they were girls” on Eighth Avenue near the corner of West 148th Street.

“I asked the one I was talking to if she was a guy,” Dixon allegedly wrote in the statement about Islan Nettles, 21.

When the curvy beauty said yes, Dixon became so enraged, he pushed her away and punched her in the face, knocking her down, then punched her again, he admitted, according to Vasquez.

“I told the other transgender person, ‘You want some too?’” Dixon allegedly said.

When Nettles fell, she hit the pavement with such force that she sustained a serious brain injury, according to Assistant District Attorney Nicholas Viorst.

But Dixon continued to pummel her as she lay on the ground unconscious, prosecutors have charged.

Nettles died five days later at Harlem Hospital.

The hearing before Justice Daniel Conviser will determine whether the statements Dixon made to cops will be admitted at trial.

Dixon faces two counts of manslaughter and one count of assault for the fatal beating. He was offered 12 years in prison in exchange for his guilty plea but turned it down.

Another man, Paris Wilson, was originally arrested but later released.