PDA

View Full Version : Update: (Black boyfriend) charged in beating that killed his unborn baby

The Bobster
09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/09/02/beau-charged-in-beating-that-killed-his-unborn-baby/

Beau charged in beating that killed his unborn baby
By Leonica Valentine and Josh Saul
September 2, 2014 | 1:00am

http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/baby-beatdown.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Mia Jones sits with the ashes of her unborn child after her boyfriend attacked her in an alleged effort to kill the baby.
Photo: Stefan Jeremiah

A Brooklyn fiend attacked his pregnant girlfriend in a successful attempt to kill his unborn baby, prosecutors say — and the assault was caught on surveillance footage obtained by The Post.

“He’s a sociopath. He has no emotion,” Mia Jones, 33, said of ex-boyfriend suspect Torey Branch, who is set to appear in court Wednesday.

“He did not have to do this. He could have just said, ‘This is not my baby,’ ” Jones told The Post, holding a small silver box with the ashes of the unborn girl she planned to name Kennedy.

Branch, 33, mercilessly beat his 7-months-pregnant baby mama after urging her to have an abortion and warning her “repeatedly that [she] would not have the child,” court papers state.

The hulking suspect hid in the street while an accomplice grabbed Jones in the lobby of her Crown Heights apartment building March 28, locking an arm across her throat, court papers state.

Branch then rushed into the narrow lobby and began to punch Jones in the face and stomach as his accomplice kept his arms wrapped around her throat and head, according to court papers and the surveillance footage.

Jones can be seen lying motionless on the floor for a full minute before she regains consciousness and uses her phone to call for help, the video shows.

She was taken to Kings County Hospital, but the baby died in utero, and doctors performed a c-section, court papers state.

“This is your daughter, how could you do this?” Jones asked incredulously of Branch.

Both Branch and his alleged accomplice, Elijah Green, 34, were hit with a slew of charges, including forced abortion and burglary causing an injury. They face 25 years behind bars on the burglary count alone.

The men will appear in Brooklyn Supreme Court this week for a pretrial conference.

Branch’s lawyer, Jeff Chabrowe, told The Post, “We are confident that Mr. Branch will be completely exonerated at trial.”

Green’s lawyer, Ken Montgomery, said the video would should show it’s not his client.

He said Jones only fingered Green after she saw an Instagram photo of him and Branch at a bar taken the night of the attack.

Green himself noted the accomplice in the video is slight — and he’s a bulky 5-foot-11.

“I know it’s unfortunate what happened to this girl, and they want justice, but I’m an innocent man,” he told The Post.

A spokeswoman for Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson called the crime “horrific’’ and added, “all aspects of it are being actively investigated.”

The Bobster
12-05-2014, 03:44 PM
http://nypost.com/2014/12/05/man-charged-in-assault-cleared-after-video-proves-his-innocence/

Man charged in assault cleared after video proves his innocence
By Josh Saul
December 5, 2014 | 6:59am

http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/jerl9626.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Elijah Green

They didn’t just use the scales of justice — they used a tape measure, too.

A Brooklyn man who faced 25 years in prison on charges of helping to beat a pregnant woman and kill her 7-month-old fetus was cleared after a surveillance video showed he’s 6 inches taller than the real attacker.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/007.jpg?w=300
Surveillance footage of the attack on Mia Jones.

“If it wasn’t for that camera, I’d be going to jail for the rest of my life,” Elijah Green said Thursday after Brooklyn prosecutors asked for his indictment to be dismissed.

Victim Mia Jones accused Green, 34, of holding her while her then-boyfriend, Torey Branch — the father of her child — pummeled her stomach to kill the unborn baby last March.

After seeing the surveillance video from the Crown Heights building where the horrific attack took place, Green’s defense attorney *realized his client is much taller than the thug seen on film.

Armed with that evidence, Green’s lawyer convinced the DA’s Office to do the right thing.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/jerl9794.jpg?w=300
Mia Jones sits with the ashes of her unborn child after her boyfriend attacked her in an alleged effort to kill the baby.

“We had Elijah come in to be measured,” said Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney Joanna Malikouzakis. “Elijah was measured to be 5-foot-11 without shoes and 6-foot-1 with Timberland boots on.”

Prosecutors said their review of the video showed that the accomplice in the attack was just 5-foot-7.

The indictment will be amended to name Branch and an “unapprehended other.”

Defense attorney Ken Montgomery said he hired a forensic video expert to examine the surveillance footage and determine that the true attacker was on the short side.

“All you have to do is look at this video and look at him. But the NYPD is so confident locking up people of color and letting the DA sort it out,” said Montgomery.

Montgomery also said Jones failed to mention Green’s distinctively deformed eye when she first fingered Branch. She named him only after she saw an *Instagram post of Green standing next to Branch, who was a casual acquaintance, Montgomery said.

“I feel good. I knew I was innocent,” said Green, who has been out on $30,000 bail since his April arrest.

Montgomery also said the detective who investigated the case was fired in May *because he accidentally shot his partner in the hand after the pair allegedly downed multiple beers.

The Bobster
02-04-2016, 08:56 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/02/03/i-felt-like-i-was-going-to-die-woman-recalls-assault-that-killed-unborn-baby/

‘I felt like I was going to die:’ Woman recalls assault that killed unborn baby
By Emily Saul
February 3, 2016 | 8:59pm

A Brooklyn woman whose boyfriend beat her mercilessly to kill their unborn child dissolved into tears on the stand during his trial Wednesday, after she and jurors watched surveillance footage of the brutal thrashing.

Mia Jones sobbed uncontrollably after watching the video of Torey Branch land punch after punch on her face and very pregnant belly, crying so hard that judge Alexander Jeong requested the jury step out and give her some space.

“I felt like I was going to die,” the 35 year old mom of four said, after she realized her boyfriend was there to help–not save her from–an assailant that had grabbed her in the hallway of her Brownsville building.

While Jones sobbed, Branch stared at her from across the defense table, expressionless. He faces a slew of charges, including abortion, burglary, and criminal trespass for the March 2014 attack.

The ambush happened after Jones repeatedly refused Branch’s attempts to schedule an abortion for her and then she told him she was going to tell his girlfriend about the baby.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/007.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=300&strip=all
Surveillance footage of the attack on Mia Jones.

Jones was almost 7 months pregnant the day that she says Branch texted her out of the blue, writing “I wanna f–k” :rolleyes: and asking what kind of coat she was wearing.

She was returning from an appointment, wearing her black Canada Goose jacket, when a man in a ski mask pushed her into the hallway without saying a word, and began punching her hard in the head and choking her.

Jones was expecting Branch–who she’d asked to bring shrimp and fries–and as the attacker dragged her back towards the front door she heard banging.

“Maybe it’s Torey, bringing me my food,” she recalled thinking.

Another mask-wearing man barged in, yelling “Move, move!”

Jones told jurors she recognized the voice as Branch’s, and he was wearing the same hoodie he’d had on the last time she’d seen him.

She also says she recognized his physique, and when pressed, told jurors he had a “high butt,” :p causing someone in the audience to snicker.

Before she lost consciousness, Jones said she looked into the eyes of a man she’d seen “a billion times” in the nine years they’d dated on and off.

Next thing she knew, she was waking up in a pool of blood. “I just lay there, holding my breath, because I didn’t want them to know I was still alive,” she told jurors.

The baby girl–who she was going to name Kennedy Victoria–died in utero, and Jones had to undergo a c-section to exhume her battered remains.

The Bobster
02-08-2016, 07:25 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/02/08/man-researched-miscarriages-before-attack-on-pregnant-girlfriend-cops/

Man researched miscarriages before attack on pregnant girlfriend: cops
By Emily Saul
February 8, 2016 | 8:08am

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/torey-branch.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w=664&h=441&crop=1
Torey Branch
Photo: Gregory P. Mango

A Brooklyn fiend on trial for intentionally beating his developing baby daughter to death — after his very pregnant girlfriend refused to have an abortion — chillingly searched over two dozen variations of “Can being hit in the stomach cause a miscarriage?” in the months before he and an accomplice attacked her in the hallway of her building, an NYPD detective told jurors.

“What happens if you get hit in the stomach while pregnant?” phone records show Torey Branch first typed into his Blackberry on Jan. 19, 2014, two months before the March 28 attack on Mia Jones.

“What happens if a pregnant woman gets hit in the stomach?” he googled just days later, according to data recovered after authorities issued a warrant for phone extraction reports.

The two-dozen hair-raising texts were read to jurors by cyber crimes Det. Robert DiBattista — who indicated that Branch had deleted them from his search history.

“Can I bring your attention to January 22,” Assistant District Attorney Joanna Lettieri asked the retired detective. “What does the web history indicate there?”

“I’m 14 weeks pregnant and my partner hit me in the stomach, will this harm my baby?” DiBattista read.

Branch used the same phone — a prepaid Blackberry registered under a false name — to frequently text Jones, even sending her a message that said “I wanna f—” the morning of the attack.

The defendant’s last search was just two weeks before Jones was brutalized.

“Can being hit in the stomach cause a miscarriage?” he typed.

Jones was returning from an appointment when she was pushed into her foyer and beaten so badly by two masked men that she had to undergo an emergency cesarean section to remove the baby’s remains.

The mother of four has testified that Branch offered her money to have an abortion, and even tried to make appointments for her after she told him she wasn’t interested.

The trial continues Monday.