View Full Version : Feral alley spook shoots White cop in the head

10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Feral alley spook shoots White cop in the head (http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO31570/)

Autopsy shows officer died from single gunshot to the head

CONCORD, N.H. -- An autopsy on the Manchester police officer who was gunned down in an alley way Monday shows he died of a single gunshot wound to the head.

The attorney general's office, which released the results of the autopsy Wednesday night, also has upgraded the charges against the accused killer to capital murder.


Michael Addison , 26, of Manchester, is accused of shooting Officer Michael Briggs early Monday when Briggs and a fellow bicycle patrol officer responded to a domestic violence call. Prosecutors say two other officers shot back, but the gunman escaped.

on was arrested that night in Boston. He has indicated he will fight his return to New Hampshire.

New Hampshire's death penalty law applies only in limited circumstances, including the killing of a police officer.

Briggs, a married father of two sons, died Tuesday at a Manchester hospital. A funeral is planned for Saturday at the stadium that's home to the New Hampshire Fisher Cats.

"He tried to spend as much time as he could with us," Briggs' 8-year-old son, Mitchell, told WMUR-TV. "Even if he had a second left, he'd spend it with us."

Before Briggs died, Addison was charged with attempted murder.

Meanwhile, three other police officers were at the scene early Monday when Briggs was fatally wounded, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

The names of the others and details such as how many shots were fired and by whom are not being released yet, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said.

Authorities said previously that Briggs, 35, and a partner
responded on their bicycles to a domestic violence call with a shot fired in Manchester's inner city and that a third officer was present when Briggs was shot. Strelzin said there were four officers in all -- Briggs and his partner, and two officers who drove to the scene.

A neighborhood resident, Jonathan Johnson, 26, said several hours after the shooting, he saw police re-enacting the incident. Johnson told the New Hampshire Union Leader he saw one officer grab another by the shoulder, who then spun around and mimicked shooting the officer.

Strelzin declined to comment on whether Addison, a suspect in a rash of violent crimes during the preceding week, was involved in the domestic dispute.

Two women allegedly involved in the crime spree were arraigned Wednesday in Nashua District Court on charges stemming from the robbery of a Hudson convenience store last week.

According to court records in Manchester and Nashua, Angela Swist, 28, and Teresia Shipley, 26, rode along with Ad
dison and Antoine Bell-Rogers during the robbery and split the money with the men. They also rode along when the men fired shots at a Manchester apartment building early Sunday morning.

Police were responding to a report of domestic violence involving a gunshot when Addison shot Briggs, authorities have said. Police have declined to say whether the dispute involved one of the women.

Bell-Rogers was with Addison during Monday's shooting, but Addison eluded a massive manhunt until police tracked him to Boston on Monday evening.

In Manchester, people left bouquets of flowers and signed a guest book at the shooting scene and at another makeshift memorial in a yard nearby. An umbrella protected the flowers and lighted candles during a morning rainshower.


Funeral Set For Manchester Police Officer (http://cbs4boston.com/local/local_story_291181905.html)


Michael Briggs

The 35-year-old husband and father of two died Tuesday afternoon, one day after he was shot in the head while on duty. He's the first Manchester police officer killed in the line of duty in 30 years.

11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Suspect In Cop Murder Sent Back To N.H. (http://cbs4boston.com/local/local_story_310091530.html)

Suspect In Cop Murder Sent Back To N.H.

(CBS4) DORCHESTER The man accused of killing a Manchester police officer last month has been sent back to New Hampshire to face a capital murder charge.


Michael Addison, 26, is charged with shooting officer Michael Briggs last month when Briggs answered a domestic disturbance call. He could face the death penalty.

Addison is scheduled to appear in Manchester District Court Monday afternoon for arraignment.

He waived his right to a governor's warrant during a brief hearing in a Dorchester courtroom Monday morning. About two dozen Manchester police officers attended the proceeding in honor of Briggs.

Addison was captured at his grandmother's apartment in Dorchester and was being held in the Suffolk County jail on $2 million bail while New Hampshire authorities pushed for his return.

He also faced a charge of being a fugitive from justice in Massachusetts, but the count was dismissed when he agreed to be taken to New Hampshire.

Through his attorney, Addison denied shooting Briggs.

Attorney John Hayes, a Massachusetts public defender, said he would prefer that state troopers, not Manchester police, transport Briggs to New Hampshire. Hayes said he doesn't want someone to say Addison confessed in the back of a cruiser.

Attorney General Kelly A. Ayotte announced in a statement Monday that Manchester officers would bring Addison back to New Hampshire.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Strelzin, who heads the homicide division, has said he has full confidence that Manchester police would behave professionally.

Meanwhile, a Manchester District Court judge app
ointed public defenders Richard Guerriero and Donna Brown to defend him on the capital murder charge.

Guerriero helped obtain a plea bargain for the last man charged with capital murder in New Hampshire. In 1998, Gordon Perry pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison without parole for killing Epsom police Officer Jeremy Charron a year earlier. The state has not executed anyone since 1939 and no one is on death row.

Authorities say Briggs was shot 15 minutes before the end of his shift, when he and a fellow bicycle patrol officer responded to a domestic violence call involving a gunshot. Briggs' gun never left his holster, but prosecutors say two other officers shot back, as the gunman escaped.

Ironically, Briggs and Addison had come in contact once before.

In 2003, Briggs helped save Addison's life after Addison was shot.

11-17-2006, 04:16 PM


Probable Cause Found For Capital Murder Charge
Man Accused Of Killing Manchester Police Officer

POSTED: 12:07 pm EST November 17, 2006
UPDATED: 6:11 pm EST November 17, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story
Sign Up for Breaking News Alerts

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- With more than a dozen uniformed officers in the courtroom, a judge found enough evidence Friday for a man charged with capital murder in police Officer Michael Brigg's death to be put on trial in Superior Court.

Manchester District Judge William Lyons issued the ruling involving Michael Addison, 26, who is charged with killing Briggs last month when Briggs answered a domestic disturbance call.

Detective Lt. Enoch Willard testified that Brig
gs' partner, John Breckenridge, identified Addison as the person who shot Briggs. Willard said the two officers were looking for Addison and Antoine Bell-Rogers, 21, of Manchester, after getting a complaint involving Bell-Rogers.

Willard said when they found Addison and Bell-Rogers, Briggs yelled, "Police, stop!" He said Bell-Rogers stopped but Addison did not, so Briggs yelled twice more for him to stop. On the third command, Addison swiveled his head lifted his arm and shot Briggs, Willard said.

He said Briggs and Addison were standing about a foot apart.

Bell-Rogers immediately dropped to the ground and was taken into custody, but Addison fled, said Willard.

Willard said police later found the gun, although the no fingerprints were on it. Police also found a red sweatshirt matching one Addison was wearing, he said.

Addison was captured at his grandmother's apartment in the Dorchester section of Boston on Oct. 16, the day Briggs was shot in the head. Briggs, a father of
two boys, died at Elliot Hospital the next day.

Willard said police questioned Addison in Boston after his arrest.

"He didn't want to be seen as a monster. He said that repeatedly," Willard said.

Addison initially fought extradition to New Hampshire but was arraigned on a capital murder charge in Manchester District Court three weeks after his arrest in Boston.

Addison, described in court documents as an unemployed father of two children, ages 2 and 8, has been held without bail. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

02-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Feral alley spook convicted of robbery (http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=81641)

Suspect In Officer's Murder Convicted Of Robbery

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) -- A man charged with killing a New Hampshire police officer in 2006 has been found guilty of two unrelated charges.


Michael Addison was convicted Wednesday of armed robbery at the El Mexicano Restaurant in Manchester and being a felon in possession of a deadly weapon.

Prosecutors said Addison took part in the robbery one week before Officer Michael Briggs was shot and killed on October 16, 2006. Addison is facing a charge of capital murder in that case.

Last year, Addison was convicted on two charges in connection with a shooting outside a Manchester apartment.

12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
N.H. jury considers Addison's sentence (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/12/16/nh_jury_considers_addisons_sentence/)

Michael Addison was convicted of killing Manchester police officer Michael Briggs in 2006. Addison faces either life in prison or a death sentence

Addison heads for death row (http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2008/12/18/Addison-heads-for-death-row-in/1229620104.html)

Michael Addison

A New Hampshire jury has handed down the state's first death sentence in decades. Jurors issued that penalty to Michael Addison this morning -- the man convicted of killing Manchester Police Officer Michael Briggs back in 2006. The jury convicted Michael Addison of capital murder last month. The jury's only choices were the death penalty or life in prison for the man convicted of killing Manchester, New Hampshire Police Officer Michael Briggs in 2006.

Addison had been on a crime spree before the 2006 shooting and had said he would "pop a cop" if necessary to avoid arrest.
The 28-year-old Addison admits shooting Officer Michael Briggs in the head two years ago, but his lawyers say it was a reckless act.

12-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Experts say execution at least 10 years off (http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20081220-NEWS-812200322) :mad:


A jury sentenced Michael Addison, 28, to death on Thursday for the 2006 fatal shooting of Manchester police Officer Michael Briggs.

Addison's attorney, Richard Guerriero, said the defense will appeal. Lawyers are expected to argue that the judge made the wrong decision when denying their request to change the location of the trial.

New Hampshire's narrow capital murder law applies to a half-dozen crimes, including killing a police officer, murder for hire and killing during a kidnapping. Prisoners who kill another while serving a life sentence, murder during a rape, and certain drug crimes also qualify.

New Hampshire's last execution was in 1939 and the last death sentence was issued in 1959. The state's current death penalty law was enacted in 1991 and it has never been tested in the higher courts.

The Death Penalty Policy Institute has found the average time between a death sentence and an execution is typically 10.5 years. It's even longer in cases where the law has never been tested.

There is even a chance Addison will never be executed, said Dieter. Of the close to 8,000 people sentenced to death since 1977, about 14 percent have been executed, he said. The rest have had their sentences overturned or are still on death row.

Scheidegger said although some capital punishment cases drag on for years, there's no reason for this in Addison's case.

"It doesn't need to be extremely long. Of course when the state Supreme Court takes up the law, they're going to throw every challenge in the book at it but if they look around at the decisions of other states they'll see those challenges that have been rejected," said Scheidegger. "In California, it takes years and years because there's such a huge backlog of cases. Obviously in New Hampshire, it's not a problem."

12-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Officer Michael Briggs Murder (http://www.jurorthirteen.com/GeneralCategories/CurrentTrials/OfficerMichaelBriggsMurder/tabid/932/Default.aspx)
Officer Michael Briggs

Wife Of Slain N.H. Cop Takes The Stand
http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/28/2008/11/21/175x131/laurabriggs.jpghttp://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/0/2006/10/17/175x131/images_sizedimage_289221911.jpg (http://wbztv.com/local/newhampshire/michael.addison.death.2.870134.html)
Laura Briggs and Officer Michael Briggs

New Hampshire Police Association
Law Enforcement Memorial Page (http://www.nhpolice.com/memorial/Briggs.htm)
Officer Michael Briggs

Procession to Memorial Service (http://www.nhpolice.com/memorial/briggsslideshow1/index.html)

Memorial Service (http://www.nhpolice.com/memorial/briggsslideshow2/index.html)

Jury: Death for Addison (http://www.unionleader.com/pda-article.aspx?articleId=a52d3423-e67a-4f6f-aaae-5d1423ab0c86)
Briggs' father said he was glad the long ordeal of a nine-week capital murder trial is over.
"I love my son and this is what my whole family wanted ... My son is looking down saying that you did a good job, dad," Leland Briggs said, his voice breaking with emotion.

Leland Briggs, with his daughters Melisa, left, and Sarah Briggs, speaks with reporters after the Hillsborough County Superior Court jury's decision to sentence Michael K. Addison to death for the murder of his son, Manchester Police Officer Michael Briggs (BOB LAPREE)

11-13-2013, 08:23 AM

November 6, 2013

New Hampshire’s top court upheld the sentence of the state’s only death row inmate, moving the convicted cop killer closer to becoming the first person executed in New Hampshire since 1939. :clap:

Michael Addison, 33, was convicted of gunning down Michael Briggs in 2006 as the 35-year-old Manchester police officer was attempting to arrest him on a string of armed robbery charges.

The high court’s unanimous ruling came nearly a year after it heard unprecedented daylong arguments in the first death penalty appeal to come before it in 50 years.

The court rejected :clap: Addison’s numerous claims that his death sentence violates the state constitution. Addison had challenged whether he could be sentenced to death when the jury found that he acted recklessly but without intent to kill.

The last person executed in New Hampshire was Howard Long, an Alton shopkeeper who molested and beat a 10-year-old boy to death. He was hanged — still a viable form of execution in New Hampshire :clap: if lethal injection is not possible.

01-20-2016, 07:21 AM

US Supreme Court won't review appeal of NH's only death row inmate
Michael Addison convicted of killing Manchester police officer
Published 3:29 PM EST Jan 19, 2016


CONCORD, N.H. —The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to review a petition from New Hampshire's only death row inmate to review his case.

Lawyers for Michael Addison, 35, said the trial judge violated his rights by not allowing jurors to hear evidence he was remorseful:rolleyes: and concerned about the Manchester police officer he shot in 2006 -- Michael Briggs -- after he was taken into custody.