PDA

View Full Version : Turnstile jumper says she was strip-searched by cop "Shaquanna"

The Bobster
01-08-2016, 06:16 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/01/08/turnstile-jumper-says-she-was-strip-searched-by-cop/

Turnstile jumper says she was strip-searched by cop
By Megan McGibney
January 8, 2016 | 3:16pm

A Brooklyn woman busted for jumping a turnstile testified Friday that she was improperly strip-searched by a female NYPD cop after she was taken into custody — a charge the officer staunchly denied.

The allegations came during a departmental trial in which Officer Shaquanna James White is facing a charge of abuse of authority after Tynneal Grant filed a complaint with the Civilian Complaint Review Board.

Grant, 33, said that after she was hauled off to Transit Bureau District 30 station house after the June 2014 incident, White ordered her to lift her shirt instead of just patting her down.

When she objected because she wasn’t wearing a bra, she said White told her, “If you don’t I will,” so she lifted her shirt, she said under questioning from CCRB prosecutor Heather Cook.

The officer also asked her to lower her overalls during the search – which her own lawyer, John Tynan, described as standard protocol.

But instead of lowering them, they fell to the ground, Grant said, leaving her frightened and humiliated.

But White said she never touched Grant — and that if her overalls fell to the ground it was her own fault.

“I never had any contact with her at all. I just never want to be accused of touching anyone’s body parts,” she told Cook.

And Tynan insisted the officer was just doing her job.

“God forbid police officers do their job. I guess if Officer White had control of gravity they [overalls] wouldn’t have fallen,” he said.

Grant said the incident began when she was trying to catch a subway home to Bushwick from downtown Brooklyn but mistakenly swiped her card for a Manhattan-bound train instead of one headed for Far Rockaway.

She approached a ticket booth clerk, who told her to stand by a security door and wait for someone to open it and let her get to the right platform.

But after no one immediately appeared, she hopped the turnstile and was arrested.

Asked by Cook why she didn’t wait, she said it was late and she wanted to get home.

Cook told CCRB Judge Paul Gamble that White traumatized Grant, who was released without charges.

“Fear humiliation, shame – that is what this case is about,” she said. “This is a straightforward case of a veteran officer who should’ve known better.”

Cook told Judge Paul Gamble that White traumatized Grant, who was released without charges.

“The respondent did her job. It was made worse by overreaction by Ms. Grant,” he said.

“She created her own problem. Officer White never told her to drop her overalls to her knees. She did it on her own. There was no search.”

Gamble did not immediately reach a verdict.